Introducing Me - Barbara

Guest Beejay

Hi, my name is Barbara, I'm 43 and had a SAH on October 11th. Luckily for me, I live in Southampton so was taken to the general where the Wessex Neurological Centre is based. Unluckily for me, the Doctors have not been able to tell me why it happened. My brain bled for no reason that they can tell, and this is the bit that frightens me so much because there is nothing I can do to help prevent it happening again.All of my tests, scans etc. were 'negative'.

I am married with 4 children who have been so amazing to me and I am so scared every day that it will happen again and I'll lose them. Do these feelings go away? Did anyone else have an unexplained SAH? How do you cope with the fear?

Bx

Welcome Barbara----early days yet and take things slowly---things do get better

Join in with the gang----more the better,we laugh,cry,natter and support each other

Carolx

Welcome aboard, Barbara xxx :D

It's still very early days for you, hun.

We've all been there, we can all relate to the uneasy feelings that you are having just now. But, as the saying goes, "Time is a great Healer" , and with the love and support you'll receive from the folks in this site, you'll hopefully go from strength to strength.

Please feel free to openly discuss your anxieties, as we're all here to help.

Love and hugs to you,

B xx :D

Hi Barbara

Welcome to the site we're a friendly bunch of people and the support and friendship you'll find on here will really help in the coming months.

What you're feeling now is normal but it does get better just remember to be kind to yourself and listen to your body and rest as often as you need to. Take care hope to hear more from you soon.

Janet x

Hi Barbara

Welcome to the site and to a future of support and friendship.

I too had an aneurysm with no known cause in January of this year, there are about half a dozen of us on here with no aneurysm. Apparently it is the best scenario with the best results in long term recovery although at times it does not feel like it! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat to someone with the same diagnosis. Like others have said, rest and listen to your body, I felt sure that I would recover really quickly because after all we have had no surgery and to all intents and purposes look fine, I was proved wrong, recovery can be just as long and unpredictable unfortunately.

Talk to you soon

Ann

Hi Barbara,

Welcome to BTG, a fab site offering the most wonderful support and advice possible. Feel free to vent frustrations or ask questions, everyone so understands.

You arre very early in your recovery but things do get better. It is a rollercoaster ride but it does get gentler.

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

Hi Barbara :D A very warm welcome to BTG ! You are still very early days.....take care and rest up. This website has been a Godsend to me....you will find lots of support and information here. Things will get easier. Love Tinaxx

Hi Barbara

Just re read my earlier posting and it seems to end on a very negative note! I did not mean it to, apologies! Yes, as everyone has said, it does get better, what I really meant was that at times it is one step forward and then one back and that it can be a frustrating time.

11 months on the improvement is great compared to early days.

Ann

Guest ElaineW

Hi Barbara and welcome. I am a carer, my mum had her SAH May 2008 and they could offer no explanation, my uderstanding is that this is often the case, high BP i know is often though a common cause. I can understand your fear as mum does still worry about it happening again but I also understand that this is very unusual and it is just an unfortunate thing that can happen to any one of us. I hope you progress, it is a long journey but this site has all the information you could ever want to know and everyone has a different story. Take Care

Elaine

Hi Barbara

Welcome to BTG. I can only echo a zillion times what everyone else has said - this is a great place to help your recovery, both mentally and physically, as we all share our experiences. There's always somebody who has been through what someone else is experiencing which really helps to put your mind at rest.

It is early days for you yet and as someone else says it can often feel like one step forward two steps back, but that is normal and does improve. It's true, time is the great healer, but sometimes time can seem to move too slowly! Hang in and keep coming here, it will help.

Lots of love

Sarah xx

Hi Barbara,

Warm welcome to the site.

I dont have a clue why I had the SAH either I was under a lot of stress at the time but they said that probably wouldnt have had anything to do with it.....

Its just one of the mystory

take care

Louise.x

Hi Babs, Try to focus on the positives and in getting yourself in peak shape. My sah, like yours, was diagnosed as cause unknow, at Southampton. My spell in hospital was like being on a conveyor belt…told I’d survived, now go home and recuperate! The consultant told me I could pursue anything with no ill effect & I took that advice to heart! Well its been four years and I have come a long way…still plagued with the headaches (weather influenced) and tiredness if I’ve overdone things, but emotionally I can take on the world again!!!I really wish I’d remembered to keep a diary of my progress - think it will help you if you did! Remember to be kind and patient with yourself…if you’ve good friends keep active in meeting up, etc, any lifelines are good. I know it’s a massive dent to confidence and stamina, but if it were not for my friends, I think I would have gone mad a long time ago!!! You have to strike a balance somehow and try hard not to overdo things, rest when necessary (which will be masses in the beginning) and try to keep upbeat. I hope your gp is supportive. You will have good days and bad, where you wobble all over the place, try not to put yourself in stressful situations (impossible I know with four kids), find a place to be quiet!! Stay away from shops, which I expect you’re doing & order the lot online!!!

It is a salutary reminder of how fragile we are, but try not to dwell on your lucky escape!!

Best Wishes… Anya

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phil Price

Hey Barbara,

First of all - Happy Christmas and welcome to life post-SAH ! it is weird and difficult.

I also suffered from a Non-Anuerysmal SAH this year (Aug 25th) - mine came on (excuse the pun) during sexual climax. I have been fortunate to experience what I might consider a pretty good recovery. I've experienced only a few very weird experiences (some call them set-backs) and after getting used to the strange sensations in my head, I feel as normal as I probably can expect. I can fully understand your fears and concern about a re-occurrence. Despite my Neuro consultant strongly suggesting that I am no more likely to suffer a further SAH as any other person, I do occasionally have a panic attack and wonder if I might suddenly be struck down again. What can I say?? there is no answer I can give I'm afraid. It is a massive cliche, but as time passes it gets a little easier. I am hoping that as more time passes, it gets even better still. I am considering looking for some alternative psychological help - perhaps in the form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I'll let you know how I get on with that and whether it provides any further mental support - that is where most of my problems seem to be now. Anyway, not sure if I have been any help or not. Just wanted to let you know that you are NOT alone - I have been exactly where you have been!!! Contact me if you want to talk about any aspect of your experience.

Lots of love - Phil.