Scalp discomfort 9 months on

Hi,

I have been reading this forum since my SAH last November. I had clipping surgery. Thank you all for the information and sights. The forum has been invaluable to me. 

I am back to work full time and doing well. I still have issues with my right eye (hurts, puffy and myopia much worse), headaches, fatigue and woshy moments but as far as we can tell no long-term damage. None of these are debilitating. 

I have ave a weird question though, couldn’t find any previous posts. Nine months out my scalp is still very tender and itchy. Is this within expectation? Seems like a long time for it to still be healing. Again, just annoying, not a big deal. I haven’t had major surgery before, so don’t know.

sorry for such a trivial question. 

Una

Hi Yun,

Welcome to BTG, sorry to hear you had SAH, it is still early days with your recovery and the fatigue and wooshy moments are pretty much normal after such an event.

You have come to a great place for help and advice,  I personally didn't have clipping, my Aneurysm was coiled so I am unable to help you with your questions, there are a lot of members of BTG who have and I am sure they will come along and share their experiences with you.

Look forward to hearing more from you as you go along the recovery road.

Wishing you well with your recovery journey.

Love 

Michelle xx 

Hello Yun, and also a very warm welcome to BTG.

Glad you are feeling positive nine months after your bleed, and well done for getting back to full time employment.

Always be watchful for early signs of fatigue as you go about your daily work and home life.  Listen to your brain and body as stress and over work can hinder your recovery.  Don`t be afraid to take that `time out`.

The following links may be helpful and to find further threads concerning `itchy scalp` simply key `itchy scalp` into the search option at the top right of the welcome page.

https://web.behindthegray.net/topic/5917-strange-feeling-over-my-head-3-months-out/?tab=comments#comment-109687

https://web.behindthegray.net/topic/5917-strange-feeling-over-my-head-3-months-out/?tab=comments#comment-111004

https://web.behindthegray.net/topic/6138-questions-about-head-tingling-and-eye-pain/?tab=comments#comment-113464

https://web.behindthegray.net/topic/3057-after-a-subarachnoid-haemorrhage/?tab=comments#comment-41898

Well done so far and please keep in touch about your progress.

Subs

Thanks for Subs for those links. You are much better than me at searching. :) Didn’t notice those comments about years/ months post-op. I just thought nine months is quite a long time, not now. When my head started clicking, that thread you posted definitely helped, knowing that others had the same experience.

Y

Hi Yun

I never had clipping either but had drill holes in head,  when I awoke my head felt creepy crawly and itched  so I remember me and Daughter pouring warm salt water over my head, most which trickled down back ha !  Sounds daft but wanted to keep scalp clean where I had shunt put in.  Don't know if you can wash hair after clipping as like Daffs was coiled.  Wishing you all the best and it helped the creepy crawley feeling !! 

Keep well and hope you get better soon xx

Mmm warm salt water sounds nice. Yeah I can wash my hair, I am going to try tar shampoo to see it helps with itching. Stupid little thing but so annoying. I can’t really brush my hair properly yet. Good thing I used to have pretty messy hair anyway. 

Hi Yun, definately Try the salt water , it will Help I think, I did that like Win after my EVD and then later Shunt surgery, helped with the healing which took ages on the scalp.

I also used to give myself (and still do) really gentle head massages with oils around the scar site...didn’t want anyone else to touch my head but happy to manage myself. I used an oil I like the smell of, rose oil, but a plain grape seed one will work just as well. You look like something off the muppets after you do it but to be honest I felt like I was like something off the muppets ( that newsreader eagle maybe? ) I was so out of sorts back then.

roll on the years to now and I still have really tender points around my surgery scars and get get odd tingling but sensitivity is far less, oil treatment still what I go for if that happens. 

Daff 

On 16/07/2019 at 10:52, Yun said:

Mmm warm salt water sounds nice. Yeah I can wash my hair, I am going to try tar shampoo to see it helps with itching. Stupid little thing but so annoying. I can’t really brush my hair properly yet. Good thing I used to have pretty messy hair anyway. 

Hi Yun, I didn't have clipping, but head and scalp were tender and my hair was starting to go thin .... Brushing the hair, especially in the morning or after washing wasn't good .... I found this detangler brush a huge help and I still use one .... it's called a Tangle Teezer and the following link will give you some ideas as to what it looks like, but you can pick these up now from any supermarket or drug store. https://www.tangleteezer.com/

Thanks for the great tips. Good to know it does get better eventually. I just thought 9 months is an awful long time. Not in the world of sah and brain surgery, I am slowly learning. Kind of funny, my neurosurgeon actually got a bit mad at me a week after for not realising how big deal this is. I was attempting humor and he was very Dutch. But later I was able to joke with him a bit in follow ups. 

Hi Yun,

No trivial questions when it comes to brain surgery after effects. I also had clipping. The incision ran down my right side hairline. Don't want to be too graphic but scalp was pulled back and skull bone removed to get to where they needed to go. The skull pieces were repaired with "bondo", and these areas ache when the weather changes or I'm tired or stressed. As for the scalp, it was explained to me that as all the disturbed nerves heal, it would feel tingly or itchy or like something was crawling .  That took a very good while to go away.  Even now, 10+ years later, sometimes I get a sensation of numbness, usually associated with fatigue, stress or too much caffeine.  But nothing like the early days. It does get better, slowly but surely. 

Colleen

Colleen, thanks for your reply. I occasionally think about what the operation actually entails, pretty amazing things actually heals and gets better. I have learned so many new things about my poor head, like you can be numb and itchy at the same time. Who knew that was possible?!

Archived