Introduction - Melissa

Guest Melissa Brager

Guest Melissa Brager

Hi my name is Melissa,

i had a SAH 18 months ago whilst 7 months pregnant, the worst day of my life. i had the bleed whilst walking my dog!, thank god my partner came to check on me and there i was!. bleed was coiled. am recovered, but am finding i still get very tired and very easily, also my emotions seem so intense, and i can become irritated very quickly, can anyone else relate to this?. i feel like part of me has gone. should be feeling over the moon as just had 18 month check and all is well.

ps. first time ever user!

Hi Melissa,

A warm welcome to behindthegray! :D

I think that most of us here, can relate to what you're feeling and I don't think that the fatigue helps our emotions either. I know that I get grouchy or sensitive when I have a bad bout of fatigue. Luckily, at nearly 4 years on, I don't get the fatigue as frequently, but still tire quite easily if I overdo things.

Anything that you want to ask, then I'm sure that somebody will be able to help.

Love Karen x

Guest Melissa Brager

Thanks Karen, its just that i had follow up appointment recently and was told by the Reg, that i shouldnt be experiencing any problems 18 months on the brain should be fully recovered what ever that means, i found this very frustrating as i feel part of me has gone . thanks m x

Hi Melissa,

There seems to always be some conflict with SAH recovery info.

I was treated at Wessex Neuro and was basically told that fatigue can still be expected many years after a brain haem and that energy levels might not be, what they once were.

To be honest, I don't know if the medics know too much on the recovery aspect or what we should expect ..... most of the info seems to have come from SAH patients themselves and as individuals, we all seem to vary as to what affects us. However, energy levels, concentration and fatigue, seems to be commonplace with the vast majority of us here, still suffering to a degree, many years later.

Yes, many of the professionals will tell us, that we're medically "fixed" and our brain should be healed ..... but they perhaps don't seem to consider what has been affected/damaged in the brain after the bleed.

It does get better and improves with time and I think that many of us, are still learning to pace ourselves, at a level that suits us and what we can cope with, as an individual.

I definetly cannot do, what I once did ...... but still like to push myself, to see if I can achieve more ..... however, I can often get "payback" for it and the fatigue can kick me up the bottom again! :wink:

Have you asked your GP about the fatigue etc? I had a set of blood tests done quite some while after the bleed and was found to be calcium and iron deficient ..... which obviously makes the tiredness worse. I have improved since taking the supplements, so it might be worth getting yourself checked, to rule out other possibilities.

Love K x

Hi Melissa a very warm welcome to BTG :D I am 16 months down the line.......i still get very tired........i try to push myself, like Karen.... but yes do pay a few days after. Everyone is different, but we do understand what you are going through. Hope to hear more from you....Take care.

Love Tina xx

Hi Melissa,

A warm welcome to BTG, thank you for sharing your story with us.

As Karen has already mentioned we all still have fatigue and possibly other medical problems after SAH, the neurosugeons don't really know what we go through everyday.

Melissa, I hope you don't mind me asking but how did the pregnancy go when you had the SAH.

I look forward hearing from you some more. Take care.

Myra xx

Hi Melissa welcome to BTG thanks for sharing your story I get like that when I am tired too which isn't very often anymore surprising though as I am always doing something :lol: How is your little one not surprised you are tired alot. Look forward to chatting sometime. Jess.xxx

Hi Melissa

Welcome to BTG and thank you for sharing your story with us. I agree with the others that a lot of us still have problems with energy levels and concentration its trying to find a balance thats right for you. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Janet x

Hello melissa

Welcome to the family x x

I get very irrattated easily and emotions are all over x x I had my bleed 13 months ago x x

I have a 3 year old so feeling tired alot and it does annoy me that I dont have the energy to play with him at times x x x

I look forward to hearing more from you and getting to know you better x x you will find alot of support here x x x and people that understand x x

love donna xxxxx

Welcome Melissa

Good you have found this site for support. Totally understand where you are coming from, I am 16 months post SAH, still do not feel I am "ME" whoever she may have been!! Still get terrible tiredness, still improving though even at this stage.Like you, my doctor tells me symptoms are not SAH related and that I should be recovered but I disagree with him. I KNOW that they are SAH related and you probably do too.

Having a young child can only add to your tiredness too, hang on in there, things will improve further I feel sure.

Everyone on here understands that we are all different and we all recover at different rates but one thing we nearly all do agree on is the tiredness issue so it must be pretty relevant to our recovery despite what medics try to tell us.

Good luck

Ann

WELCOME MELISSA

GLAD YOU FOUND US. AND IT'S GOOD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING WELL.

YES I STILL GET EMOTIONAL AND QUICK TO GO FROM ONE EXTREME TO THE OTHER, BUT IT DOES GET BETTER AND YOU LEARN TO HANDLE IT BETTER.

TAKE CARE EVELYN

Welcome Melissa to the wonderful family :D

I'm just over 2 1/2 years on and i still have headaches, tiredness and no energy on lots of days. My consultant said the same about not knowing why anymore but my doc who has a neurology background has now accepted that things may not change very much and that some people are affected in different ways after SAH.

You will gain mountain loads of support and advice on here. These are fab people to know and are true friends.

Any questions, please shout, someone will be able to answer!

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

Hi there

And warm welcome to the site, not much more I can add everyone else has said it really tiredness still haunts me and I'm 9yrs on dont think they're any hard and fast rule to recovery.....

take care

Louise.x

Hello Melissa and welcome, i agree with all that has been said by others on the site, but not that ***** medic, how does he know you should be without symptoms now has he had an SAH? there I have finally said it, good practice for me as the very next time any medic says it to me, I'm going to ask then that!!!Got that off my chest so now look forward to chatting again, you will be an old hand 'user' by the time we have finished with you, never you fear! :wink: Bye for now

Guest Melissa Brager
Hi Melissa,

A warm welcome to BTG, thank you for sharing your story with us.

As Karen has already mentioned we all still have fatigue and possibly other medical problems after SAH, the neurosugeons don't really know what we go through everyday.

Melissa, I hope you don't mind me asking but how did the pregnancy go when you had the SAH.

I look forward hearing from you some more. Take care.

Myra xx

hi ya the pregnancy was absoloultly fine they kept me in a while to monitor baby, but thank god she was not affected! i had to have a c section which was actually a releif. thanks for all your kind words and support, speak soon

Melissax]

Guest Melissa Brager

Guys,

I am blown away by your kind words and support, thank you i did'nt expect to be in such good company,

thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with me, i feel so much better for not being the only one feeling the way i do, (but having a good day today!)

speak soon

Melissa

Guest ElaineW

Hello Melissa - I am a carer so can't help with lots of questions but you have found a lovely group of people who will no doubt become your friends. There is always someone who can help. My very best wishes for your continued recovery

Elaine

Guest Melissa Brager

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your warm words, i was blown away by the response!. i had no idea i would be in such good company!

Speak soon XXXXX

Ps the lady who ask me about how the pregnancy went, i am not sure how to reply to you personally, but the pregnancy was absoloultly fine, following the bleed which was coiled the hospital transfered me to a maternity ward where they monitored baby for about two weeks ( i am still so gratfull to the consultant who took over my care). thank god my daughter was not affected at all. i had her by ceseran section, as a normal birth was not reccomended as the coiling was so recent. it was tough and still is at times, but thank god we are both here to tell the tale!

Take Care

Mel :)

Hi Melissa

Welcome to the "family" i am 18 months on from initial sah and 8 months on from second op for recoiling and i have terrible fatigue and memory problems amongs others problems, you are not alone feeling like you do but it will get easier, listen to your body, not easy i know..and rest when you need it.

I have two children 4 and 11yrs how is you little one?

Take care hope to speak soon

Love luck and laughter

MIchellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Melissa

Like you I had my SAH 18 months ago though I'm sure the fact you were pregnant as well made it doubly traumatic for you. I've seen various neurologists at different times since my SAH and they all seem to give slightly different answers when I ask how long I can expect improvement to continue for (from one year after rupture to three years) so I guess the real answer is that they don't know.

I'm definitely quite a bit better than I was 6 months ago (less tired, memory improving a bit) so I've not given up hope of continuing to improve but it can be difficult to know for sure how much is improvement and how much is getting used to things.

I think both of us should be hopeful of more improvement over the next year or two.

Love

Anne xxx

Hi Melissa,

You are definately not alone.

I'm 15 months post SAH and still have some very bad weeks with fatigue. Like you, I have had conflicting information from the neurosurgeon and neuro registrars - basically, I think that once your operation is deemed a success, the surgeons do not really know or care to know about the fatigue or emotional side-effects of an SAH.

I didn't actually know what fatigue was until I had my SAH and it must be so much harder with a beautiful new baby. Over time (a VERY long time) it does get better but everyone is different and your brain will recover & need rest at a rate that is individual to you. Any info bandied around by support groups like the 'Brain & Spine Foundation' are generalisations - not everyone will return to work within 3 months etc. It really is a case of doing what you can, when you can and that can be the hardest adjustment of all. I'm still struggling with it!

But, you are definately amongst friends here with a wealth of knowledge, advice and compassion.

Welcome,

Leo x

• 4 weeks later...

melissa

just saw your post. I had my sah july last year. like yourself i suffer alot from tiredness and at times feel very frustrated.I just wanted to say hi and take care. phil

Hi Melissa,

I just (rather belatedly) just saw your post.

I, too, have had neurosurgeons and the registrars' express puzzlement that I am still fatigued and have bad headaches.

Then I started neuro-rehab 12 months post my SAH and the OT's there expressed their frustration that the surgical side of neuro treatment does not seem to recognize our ongoing problems/difficulties. It was a relief to hear from them that many people following a closed brain injury suffer from ongoing fatigue and/or headaches & mood swings. For a while I thought that it was just me and thought the doctors didn't believe me.

This site has been wonderful in helping me to realize that I am not alone or weak and weedy. I just wish that neuro surgeons will somehow see beyond the physical 'success' of stopping/preventing a bleed so that when issues arise with patients months down the line we get the support we need and not puzzled reactions.

BTW, congratulations on delivering a healthy baby girl!

Leo xx