My twin Tina

tishacf

Hi Tisha

What wonderful news i have just caught up with your posts your sis is doing really well.

Good luck with your MRI scan results. my brother had an MRI as he seems to have a lot of my symptoms..it was good news no problems there thank goodness.

Take care

Michelle c xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tisha

Lovely to hear that Tina is starting to improve as Paul said hopefully you'll be able to get her outside soon for some fresh air. Good luck with the MRI results really hope everything is ok for you.

Janet x

Guest ElaineW

Your post has made very good reading and well done to your sis (and to you too). I hope all goes well for your MRI, it can't be anything but a worrying time, I hope Tina continues to enjoy her music and the sunshine and I bet you never thought the day would come when she told you she loved you. Celebrations all around I think.

Elaine & Maggie

Hi everyone and thank you so much again for your responses to my last post.

It was great news when I saw the neurologist last week. My MRI scan looked fine - the only slight problem was that they hadn't carried out an MRA at the same time, which I gather measures blood flow within the brain. So, I now have to wait for that, which should be about four weeks and then a further four weeks for the results. I'm nowhere near as worried now knowing that my MRI didn't show anything bad.

Tina has been making massive improvement!! Her speech has improved considerably and she is far more confident when she talks now. I had told her last week that I was going on holiday and that she would HAVE to learn to use the phone before I went. Well I have managed to teach her how to answer the phone but seem to have a real problem getting her to put the phone down when the call is over. Yesterday I phoned her in the morning and it was so wonderful being able to have a chat, but she just wouldn't put the receiver down!! Eventually I had to phone the nurses station and ask if one of them could pop into Tina's room and put it down for her.

Her sitting is getting much better too and the physio has said that she will be able to use a normal wheelchair from now on. That will be great because the chair she has been using is so cumbersome to move around.

The best news though is that Tina has been given a buzzer so that she can call a nurse for assistance. Well yesterday she buzzed and asked for a bedpan - that is just so fantastic. If she can become continent her chances of independence become that much greater.

I'll be seeing Tina this afternoon but then I am off on holiday for a week. I know I will miss her so much, but at least I will be able to phone her!!!

Love to you all and keep well

Tisha x

Hi Tisha

thats brillant news its all thing things that people take so much for granted that are the hardest to achieve......

Have a great time away on holiday relax and enjoy it re-charge the batteries.....

take care

Louise.xx

Guest ElaineW

Hello again - I can definitely relate to the phone stuff with mum, I have lost count of the amount of times she either walks away from the phone leaving me on the end of it or leaves it off the hook. I do laugh though, the other day I rang her up and she had to go out into the garden to check something - got side tracked my a neighbour of which I heard her 10 minute conversation, forgot what she went out in the garden for and forget me hanging on the end of the phone!!!!!

Anyway glad things are going along well and you make sure you enjoy that holiday

Elaine

tisha

that is the bested news for a very long time and well done to tina time will bring her nearer the time to go home and make a new start with hope i am so very very pleased for you both i really am now you can enjoy your holiday with peace of mind and look forwards to a new and better tina when you get back please enjoy your holiday please relax and enjoy you deserve it hugs and cuddles tisha

Phone thing dosent just happen when your ill...

Years ago my cousin phoned his Mum from Australia, my Gran lived with my Auntie Gran

anwered the phone spoke to Stuart for a bit then went to fetch my Auntie, and promptly hung the receiver up.

this was in the late 70's when calling Aussie wasnt as easy as it is today....

thanks for giving me a memory back made me smile :D

Louise.x

Hey there

Fantastic news that Tina is doing so very well now. Also good that your scan was clear - hope you're having a fantabulous holiday and that Tina will have improved even more when you get back.

TTFN

Love Sami xxx

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone

I can't believe how long its been since I posted on here - how time flies!

Well thankfully Tina has come on leaps and bounds. She has now been in the rehab unit for 3 months and has amazed all the professionals with the progress she has made.

She can now eat anything at all and feeds herself with her left hand. Her right side is still pretty much paralysed but through the marvellous work of the physios she is not in pain with that anymore. She has also just started standing with support. I have asked the physios if I can be there when she stands next week as I would love to be able to give Tina a hug - which I haven't been able to do since April!

I was delighted last week to find that Tina has been upgraded to an electric wheelchair! We went for a 'walk' around the hospital car park and had a few scarey moments because Tina won't always do what she's told - I'd tell her to turn left and she'd turn right, or even more terrifying tell her to stop and she'd go full steam ahead - all the time laughing because I was so panicky!!

Her speech and memory have improved too. It is almost possible to have a normal conversation with her and she is much better on the phone now as well. I was so chuffed last week because ever since we spoke on the phone from when we were about 16 years old we'd always end our conversations with 'tara Sis'. Well since her SAH/Stroke she's always said a very shakey goodbye when our calls ended - well on Wednesday for the first time she ended with 'tara Sis' - I was over the moon!

Whats also great is that she is at last beginning to initiate - she phoned me on Thursday morning and asked me to take in a particular brand of coffee!!!

The problem now is that as she is becoming more like her old self she is becoming bored! She is also extremely aware of her disabilities and is very emotional. I think that she needs to be somewhere now where more is happening and maybe some outings too. At the goal setting meetings it seems improbable that Tina will be able to go home from rehab and will have to go to a residential unit for a little longer.

I have found an amazing place only 5 mins from where Tina lives and would love her to be able to go there. It is a purpose built residential unit for adults with disabilities including aquired brain injuries. Each patient has their own room with an ensuite wet room with immediate access to wonderful gardens. They offer both maintenance and rehab physio and their philosophy is to include their patients in the community with lots of outings. The problem is that the consultant at the rehab unit thinks that Tina would still benefit from staying where she is for the time being. I am increasingly concerned at Tina's emotional state - I've had some very distressing phone calls from her and she hates where she is. Whilst the physios are fantastic there is nothing else going on and I can't imagine how long the days must feel. The residential unit I've found has two rooms available at the moment so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that somehow we can manage to move her there.

Please everyone keep your fingers crossed!

Love to everyone

Tisha

hi tisha

yes time does fly im so really pleased for both you and tina and amazed by her recovery its magic i think i know where your coming from tina wants more to stimulate her talk to the consultant who is in charge of tina and push for the rehab unit and get his people to push for the pct to fund tinas rehab you also sound miles better tisha which again is magic just get l plates for tina back and front should get a laugh from her keep us up to date sweetheart will be thinking of you take care and love to both tina and yourself hugs and cuddles

Hey Tisha

Fantastic news about Tina. Her emotions are going to be all over the place hun, now she's more aware of things it'll be post traumatic stress setting in. I was a complete wreck emotionally, but with the help of a counsellor and family and friends (not to mention this site) I got through it. Let her know that what she's feeling is perfectly normal and she will get through it.

Give her a big hug from me (and one for yourself too!!)

Hi and glad to hear things are going well. My mum is 76 and she gets very bored and fed up of just sitting in a chair so with your sister being so much younger it must be difficult. The thing is they cannot relate to how far they have come and if my mum is anyone to go by she just focusses on what she is unable to do. I see things from the different side of the coin in just that how far they have come to get to where they are. Frustration,a shocking memory and fatigue has knocked my mum for 6 but to me it's a small price to pay I guess but to those affected it must be hard. Hope Tina continues to progress.

Elaine & Maggie

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I know it has ben a massive amount of time since I wrote on here, but I do occasionally just pop in to have a look and see how people are.

Well I thought I'd quickly bring you up to speed with Tina's amazing progress. She is now home!!!! I still can't belive it - after two years!

The other wonderful thing is that she has progressed to walking with a frame, chatting quite normally and her memory is amazing - but thankfully she can hardly remember the SAH/Stroke at all.

I have given her husband Woody the link for this site as Tina is now well enough to use the computer now and again. She may well be posting on here and be able to offer support for other SAH sufferers and their families.

Seriously everyone, I feel we have witnessed the most incredible miracle looking back at where Tina was, and what her prognosis was, which at worst was that she would die and at best that she would be a virtual cabbage - how wrong they were!

My love to everyone, and for the support you all gave me through the most difficult and harrowing of times. I couldn't imagine getting through it without you. You have no idea how many times your posts helped me to gain some strength from somewhere to deal with it all.

Tisha xxx

One day at a time!

Hi Tina,

So pleased your sister is making amazing progress. I have just read through all the posts and your story is very similar to mine. Richard had is SAH in March 2010 and spent 10 days in ICU, 3 weeks on HDU, 8 weeks in our local hospital and then 6 months in a rehab hospital. He came home in January this year and is regaining the use in his left leg so that he can walk with a stick but he still has no use in his left arm. He also has some concetration/memory issues, etc. Isn't is a truly scary time - we went through the not expecting Richard to survive to now wondering if he will ever become a fraction of the person he was before.

Take care

Zoe