Hi fellow SAH sufferers- BobbyS

Guest BobbyS

Guest BobbyS

Hello I'm new to this site but not too other forums. (I occasionally write on my local area history site.) That's because I had a SAH in June 6 weeks ago. I am recovering at home, missing driving my new car (should I sell it?) missing playing golf ( will I ever be able to play again). I am a a male and a sprightly 61 year old that has always loved life to the full with my wife and daughter that have been magic since my SAH. I have quite a few circle of friends that have been very kind offering to take me out, cut the lawn etc. You certainly find whom are your real friends when you need them and most of mine have been excellent.

I was lucky I think? that the doc's could not find any weaknesses in my brain but I did bleed into my membrane approx 10mlitres about 2 tea spoon fulls they say. I had 3 different scans, CT, the one with the dye into your brain, and the procedure through the groin and they shoot something into your brain via a probe to both sides of your brain and take multiple photos of my brain. ( Original synopsis was found via "Lumber Punch")

I can now walk probably half a mile with the dog before I have sensations in my head and feel a bit dizzy. I have started to do a bit of gardening, nothing heavy of coarse! Can any other members whom have had similar SAH tell me where I am going with my recovery, as I have holidays planned golfing in France mid September, and will I be able to fly with my wife for a small holiday for both of us to rest in the sun for a couple of weeks?

OR AM I DISILLUSIONED WITH MY RECOVEREY TIME LINES < HELP ME IF YOU CAN PLEASE> :cry:

Welcome to BTG Bobby! :)

If you're able to do the gardening, 6 weeks after your SAH, even the light stuff....then you're doing wonderfully well!.... :D

From what I can see, you had a non-aneurysmal SAH? ..... I believe that the prognosis for such, is extremely good.....

I wouldn't cancel anything at this precise minute ..... recovery is so individual and you're early days ..... I certainly wouldn't do anything hasty and my only advice, is to play things by ear and do what's good for you ..... but you do need time to recover and you will need patience .... Did you leave hospital with any information?

As for flying, then if you do a "search" on this website, then hopefully you will pull up previous posts ...... as we've had this discussion a few times....

I can only say, that life does get better ...... but, be kind to yourself and allow your brain to heal .... but hold back on selling the car etc or anything else! .... give yourself some breathing space and anything that you want to ask, then please feel free...

Love Karen x

Guest BobbyS

Thanks Karen for your kind reply.

I was at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham for only 7 days. When they discharged me as they needed the bed's for other emergencies the only info they gave me was my discharge letter in duplicate. One of the consultants team under the registrar informed us that we would receive an appointment to attend outpatients within 4 to 6 weeks. We heard nothing from the Hospital and my wife chased the followup with the consultants Secretary last week and have now received an appointment for the 26th Aug. which is 5 weeks away.

We feel that the after care has been poor since I left hospital as no one has contacted us to review my current health status or given us any advice. Is this normal procedure as I was told that unless I went home for rest I could still suffer another bleed. When I should contact the Hospital Telephone or my Doctors phone number.

I must say that the treatment at the QE was excellent and I did recover quickly from a terrible head ache, stiff neck, mobility dizziness problem's, loss of appetite, sweating and rapid weight loss.

When I was discharged I was unsteady on my feet but could walk a short distance and my headache was manageable on Co-codamal 500mg.

Noise and light where a small problem and I was not good with visitors as it hurt my brain to concentrate and talk. My wife then thankfully blocked phone calls and visitors.

My SAH happened on 7th June after I had a shower. While drying myself off at 1 pm to attend a 21st Birthday party at friends. I had a very strange feeling in my neck and head, My neck mussels became very stiff and then I had a terrible headache that rendered me incapable. My wife called the paramedics but like a plonker I thought it was a mussel strain in my neck and refused to be hospitalized. I became worse and by Thursday 11th was hospitalized Locally to my local in Solihull.

The rest is history and I am so glad to have found your site as I have a lot to learn about my SAH and its consequences to my and my families lives.

Best wishes

Bobby

[

Hi Bobby,

Well, I hope that they told you, to go and see your GP? ..... as would imagine, that he/she would want to see you and keep an eye on your blood pressure and anything else, that may be of concern ..... If you haven't seen your GP, then you should go and pay them a visit ....irrespective of any appointments with the hospital ..... your GP needs to be keeping an eye on you, during the early weeks at least. I'm nearly 4 years on and my GP insists that I go back and see him every 6 months, irrespective of what's happening to me.... A good GP is something that I now have....but believe you me, it's been a bit of a struggle .... and we all deserve some decent aftercare...

The 26th of August, is my birthday, so shall be thinking of you ..... and hope that your appointment goes well....

A lot of our members, have found their aftercare to be poor ..... It shouldn't be the case, but it seems to be the norm....unfortunately....

Thanks for filling me in with your story .... A SAH is a huge shock and takes time to come to terms with....

Wishing you well Bobby and anything else you need to ask, then please feel free... :) xx

Hi Bobby

Welcome to the site I hope you find it as useful as I always have. As Karen says it is very early days for you and even with a non-anuerysmal SAH you do need to get plenty of rest.

With regards to flying it is always best to check with your Neurosurgeon/Radiologist but if I remember from earlier conversations each one has their own opinion as to when its safe to fly.

Good luck with your recovery look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Janet x

Hi Bobby,

Wecome to BTG :D I was treated at QE in September 2006 :D My consultant was Mr Walsh.

You sound like you are doing really well. I couldn't do much after 6 weeks.

Make sure you get plenty of rest and please ask questions, we are all here to support each other. It is a real family.

Love

Laura

xx

Hi Bobby :D A very warm welcome to BTG....as the others have said, you are doing extremely well, is very early stages. Just remember to listen to your body and rest up....like you i came home with no aftercare... nothing....there does seem to be a big gap with SAH! Without BTG dont know where i would be......look forward to hearing more from you...take care.

Love Tina xx

hi bobby

quite a story you have been through the mill and as normal not a very good aftercare except where family are concerned but the good news is that you WILL be able to play golf again even if its not to the standard you were before but there is nothing to stop you practicing i have the pleasure of knowing someone who was written off due to sah and she is out there every week hitting the balls and she is now consitnatly hitting over thirty five metres and getting the balls into the catch net at a driving range so you go for it you are the only one stopping yourself :oops: as for driving depending how badly you are affected it maybe up to a year before you can drive again but there are people here who may be able to advise you more accurately you are doing so well up to now so dont lose heart just thump the golf balls in the garden and once you have broken some windows :lol: move on to a driving range and go for it take care

Hi Bobby and welcome, even if you wish there had not been a need to find us! I won't add anything else at the moment as I reckon the advice you have been given is excellent........but do go to your GP as Karen says he/she is the important one :) Enjoy the golf, and look forward to enjoying the new car, what is it? The make I mean I am not yet so far down the slippery slope that I don't know what a car is! :lol:

Hi Bobby

Welcome to the site, you will be glad you found it. I had the same type of SAH as you have apparently had, usually called perimesencephalic because of the particular pattern of bleeding and there is no aneurysm found. We are the lucky ones in that no surgery was needed and the final recovery is usually complete although the recovery time and pattern is often the same as other SAH's. On the other hand we are left wondering why it happened and there are no answers forthcoming, plus the after care is even more abysmal than the follow up for all SAH's.Also I felt a fraud at times as there were no outward signs that anything had happened to me so why was I feeling so helpless!?I had mine in January 2008 whilst on holiday in Majorca and spent 8 days in intensive care followed by time on a normal ward, I flew home after 16 days in hospital, flying is fine at that stage so long as your blood pressure is under control I was told, so feel sure you will be fine to have a RESTFUL holiday AFTER seeing your GP but do not run before you can walk. Recovery can be long and frustrating and you may take one step forward and then 2 back along the way. Headaches, neck ache and fatigue can be debilitating at times especially when tired.Thankfully we are at no greater risk of having a further SAH than anyone else in the population although at times you may still worry about that, I know I did.

Keep those golf clubs, you WILL def need them again. I was allowed to drive after about 10 weeks but did not go far at all for a few months as I was too tired. We are all different and recover at different stages and times though, in our case (no aneurysm)we have to inform DVLA but just need to send them a doctors letter to say we are fit to drive again and they will then agree, there is no need to surrender your licence.

Funny you were in the QE Birmingham, my daughter is a doctor on the liver unit there, the largest liver unit in Europe. She sometimes does nigh shifts on the Medical Assessment Unit too if you went through there?

Anyway, I have rambled on as there are only a few of us non aneurysm folk on here, good luck, sure we will talk again. I was happy to hear from the other non aneurysm people when I first came on here as there is so little information specifically for us.Try to be patient and just go with the flow, listen to your body, people kept telling me that but I got impatient but I know now that it is important advice.18 months on I am still getting stronger and better even now. Concentration is now nearly back to normal and neck aches only when I am tired. Message me any time if you need to. All the best

Ann

Guest BobbyS

Thanks to everyone for your warm welcome to me.

I have an appointment with my doctor this week where I intent to ask him a few poignant questions on after care. I will post the reply in the appropriate section.

Thanks for all your good advice, interesting to find out that I am an perimesencephalic. I will google it!

PS Walked 2 holes at the Golf Course today and had a pint of Ale. Felt great even though I did go a bit dizzy!!

Bobby

Hey Bobby

Welcome to the site and to the family - if you can't find what you need to know on here from the wealth of experience then I don't know where you'd go.

You're doing brilliantly at this stage - i couldn't even unload the dishwasher!!! As everyone has said, it's early days and everyone's recovery is different.

Take care and remember - its a long road to recovery, but you're allowed as many pit stops along the way as you need.

Take care hun and listen to your body

TTFN

Love Sami xx

Hi Bobby

Thanks for your comments, and welcome to the site...even though you got there first!

I hope you feel as re-assured as I do that there are other people out there who really know what it feels like. Especially looking outwardly fine and sounding fine most of the time (if you ignore forgetting words) yet still feeling lousy.

I was really suprised and gratified at the welcome I received, its lovely to feel that I belong somewhere and am no longer this weirdo who feels out of place.

As everyone says, you really are in the very early stages of recovery and to be walking along the golf course is a really great achievement. As for feeling tipsy after one small ale..well think of how much money you will save!

Best wishes

Adam