Sick notes

Hi All

I am absolutely furious with my GP and would like to find out what others have experienced regarding their sick notes.

I am 5 weeks on from my SAH, and upon discharge from hospital, my Consultant advised a minimum of 12 weeks off work (he also said if I needed another 12 weeks after that, I should take it). My Husband took my discharge letter to my GP in week 2 as I didn't feel up to a visit and didn't feel the need to see a GP. After explaining the Consultant's advice to the Receptionist, my Husband was given a sick note signing me off for 4 weeks. I wasn't happy, but didn't have the energy to pursue it so let it run. I am now due the renewal note, and upon phoning the surgery, have been told the GP won't do another note without seeing me. As I am unable to drive due to DVLA restrictions, and the fact that I don't feel I need to see the GP for any problems, I am furious that I am being put under this stress. Surely, if an 'expert' advises 12 weeks off, the GP should just follow that guidence.

I am not trying to 'hang it out' and my workplace are totally accepting of the said timescale. Why is my GP making it so difficult for me??

Advise appreciated!

Sam

Sam, that seems to be standard practice. My GP did the same. First one over the phone, second one, I had to see him - no choice. It is quite right that a GP should not be giving out sick notes without seeing the patient and I don't think he is just trying to make it difficult for you. As you say, you are not "hanging it out", but many will try, and I'm not just talking about SAH. Is there no way you can get to your GP? Your consultant has advised 12 weeks and more if you need it, but the one that has to sign you off is your GP, not the consultant.

Regards

Sam, I had to go and see my GP a week after discharge from hospital and he would only issue a sick note on seeing me and as Keith has said, that seems to be standard practice for obvious reasons.

For the first couple of months, I had to visit the GP every fortnight and then it was monthly for quite a while. I couldn't drive at the time and walking was a huge problem for me, so appointments had to be arranged around my husbands working hours.

It's also a good thing if you can see your GP, especially in the early months of recovery as they will probably want to keep a good eye on you for a little while yet and check things out like blood pressure etc.

Hi Sam

I had to do exactly the same as Karen and had to go to the docs after 1 week and then every 2 weeks. I was ok with this because my doctor is a neuro doc so he was telling me that what i was experiencing was normal and managed to reassure me.

I had to get hubby to take time off work to drive me there too

OK guys, many thanks for your posts. I hear what you're saying, however it still doesn't seem right, grrr!

I have never had more than a week off sick from work in my life, so am finding this stuff really frustrating. I hate going to my GP, and avoid it unless absolutely necessary as you're not able to pre-book an appointment, but have to ring up on the morning to make an appointment for that morning. This makes it really difficult to arrange a lift at such short notice (I live rurally, and the surgery is approx 6 miles away).

Cheers,

Sam xx

Same thing here too:roll:

Did think it terrible I was taking up an appt that someone that needed it could have, but they have to do it......

Hey I got an appt the other day med review, first appt with the doc is 1st Dec, good job I'm not ill.....:confused:

take care

I feel the same. I hate going to the doctors when I'm not ill. I rang the docs yesterday to book an appointment for my 6 monthly BP check and new prescriptions (I'm only allowed 6 repeats before he has to see me) and was told there was nothing available for the next 3 weeks other than one the same day! Anyway, I've seen him and BP is OK (ish).

Hi Sam

I saw my GP on a regular basis after my SAH and she only gave me sick notes for a month at a time. On the positive side, if you have to visit your GP fairly regularly after SAH, they get to know you better and I think that means, if they're a good GP, that they can be more supportive if you need them for anything in future. Hope that makes sense!

Also GPs still make house visits so if you can't get to the surgery, they will go to see you.

Best

Anne xxx

Hi Sam

My GP visited me at home. Sometimes 3 times a week. My first visit to the surgery was four weeks ago. He didn't want me to go to the surgery because "it was full of sick people"! I just had to call the surgery for a sick note, which was for 4 weeks at a time. I agree with Anne. He's seen me from the beginning, he's seen me on very good days and also on some not so good days. He was horrified when occy health doctor, in August was wanting me to agree a return to work then, it was my first visit with them! He's completely on my side and has told me he will be fully involved in my phased return.

You can always ask for a home visit if the journey to the surgery and back is too tiring, I certainly would.

Best wishes

Liz D

Hi Lousie

He's known me for 20 years. My two sons were in and out of hospital when they were tots. My family are west coasters and hubby's English, so he saw me just get on with it. He knows me really well and got a bit of shock when he heard about the SAH, so he also knows what "normal" me is like!

Liz

Louise (spelt it properly this time!) I live in Galashiels. I think the doctor at occy health has never come accross SAH by what he was saying to me. Things like - very unusual for someone of your age to have this (I'm 49). Also on discussing going to back to work he said "I'm sure you'll manage this, we don't want you coming home from work shattered, now do we!!!!!!!" I get the feeling he's read a leaflet! From what I've read from others that's exactly how I'll feel!

Liz

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate your imput x

At least I don't feel as 'victimised' as I thought!!

I may well see if I can get a home visit as, even with an appointment, they're normally running at least an hour behind!

Thanks again and all the best,

Sam x

Sam you were lucky they let you have the first one I had to go to my dr's for it within a couple of days of coming out of hospital now I can see how wrong they were, sorry they are being like it with you, but I am surev they will only give you 4wks at a time. Jess.xxx

PS hope they give you a longer one this time

Hi Guys

Just to update you - I went to see my GP on Tues, and when I told him what the Consultant had recommended (12 weeks off), he said he couldn't see why he had said I needed that long and that he couldn't see what benefit sitting at home for all that time would do!!!!!!! Grrrrr!! He has given me another note for 4 weeks, but this is only because I am due another angio to check everything is ok. He went on to say that I probably won't need another note after this one, as I would already have had 9 weeks off! He made me feel like I was a complete fraud and just trying to hang it out. He appeared to have no understanding of the kind of fatigue I am experiencing or that the time scale suggested for me was comparatively short by all accounts! I also had to remind him to check my blood pressure before shoving me out the door!

Can't wait for the next appointment!!!!

Sam x

Hi Sam

How awful that your G.P is not taking it seriously has he not read the letter from your Neurosurgeon. Might be time to change your G.p to one that can at least try to understand the impact a brain injury can have which is both physical and emotional :mad2:

Agree with Janet, thats terrible but I know that it happens too sadly.....

I had that between the GP constultant and the hospital and doctor at the rehab hospital all said different things......and me I just was in the middle....

Dont feel like a fraud Sam please we know your not and you know your not....

take care

I agree with Janet and Louise, you are not a fraud we do have problems after SAH.

Thank god my GP is really good, god knows I need an understanding GP with my problems.

Sam try talking to him again and to see it in your point of view, hopefully things work out for you.

Take care.