need bit of reassurance

waterball

mark (hubby) had his SAH last november all ct scans and 2 angiograms ruled out an aneurysm but since nov he has still had the headache.

we saw the consultant last thurs who said the headaches could last up to 6 months to a year however he booked hubby in for an urgent ct scan.

yesterday he had a headache that made him lie down for a few hours so i decided to call an ambulance and have him looked at. he had a spaced out feeling whether it is due to new medication for his headaches (called meptazinol) the consultant had not heard of them.

while in a/e they did a ct scan and one with contrast and it has come back fine so we were looking forward to coming home but the neuros had different ideas.

they want him in hospital to do another angiogram on monday ( hubby not happy as he still in discomfort from the last one). they said because his sah was severe in november they want to check everything even though his scans were ok yesterday.

i am trying to stay calm but just wondering what if an aneurysm is hiding. if everything is ok he will be home on tuesday.

thank you for listening.

diane.x

Hi Diane,

I had my sah a few days after Mark in Novenber so I can understand your concerns. I had to have several angigrams and ct scans before they finally detected a rogue aneurysm, it was just the view they had making it difficult to see. Happily it was dealt with via an angiogram.

Mark is in the best place to get to the bottom of the headaches. Angiograms can be uncomfortable but the benefits outweigh the discomfort. It is still early days for Mark and me and each day is a challenge but also a pleasure because we are both still here. It may be side effects from his new medication but that should ease off after a while when his body adjusts to them. I hope things settle down soon, good luck.

Best wishes,

Hi Diane :) oh what a worry for you xx But agree with John....Mark is in the best place. I really hope they can get to the bottom of this....i had bad headaches and pain for a good 6 months from my clipping and bleed, it does take time for it all to settle down. Try and stay calm...thinking of you...take care love Tina xx

hi diane

im sorry to hear maks going through the mill yet again but nice to know he is in the right place although the scan showed clear maybe the nueros really want to check via other means which is nice meaning they care enough to double check which hospital is he in ? seeing your fairly local to me i know blood can cause headaches hence the 6 months he told you about its the bodies way of trying to rid itself of irritation i wish you both well try not to worry too much i know its daft saying that but we are feeling for you both take care and keep us informed please

Hi Diane

Sorry to hear Mark is poorly again. It sounds like Walsgrave are doing more than they did for me. He is certainly in the best place to get checked out. Remember hun, I'm only down the road and can chat on the phone or meet you. What ward is he on? Let me know what happens on Monday......

Try not to worry too much, I know even though your a nurse its still so hard when one of your own is poorly.

PM me your telephone number if you want me to call

Speak soon

Laura

xx

Hi Diane, sorry to hear about Mark, I'm a carer and i know i went into panic mode everytime Merrill was under the weather, she had headaches at first,(luckily not too bad now) and even now she feels spaced out she describes it as though the world goes on and she's an onlooker, I think it's only natural to worry at first i know i did and although i still worry it's got easier and you learn to take it in your stride a bit more, hopefully this week will see something get sorted, but headaches you read about all the time and the spaced out feeling is common, so try not to worry too much and let us know how he gets on. Best wishes Rod

Hi Diane

Best wishes for Mark's angiogram today. I do hope they can put both your mind's at ease, and locate the cause of Mark's continuing discomfort and sickness.

It certainly could be the medication, as all medication can cause numerous side effects.

Although it is always better to be safe and get any headaches and nausea fully checked though.

I am glad they have booked in an angiogram to get this thoroughly checked for you both.

Good luck, and I hope Mark gets no further discomfort from this angiogram

Take care

Kel x

Hi Diane,

thats great news, glad Mark is home without any serious discovery.

He may find that the headaches are more tolerable now he knows there is nothing serious going on.

I know it helps me to know there is nothing going on when I get twinges or pains.

Give him my best wishes I hope things settle down for him now.

Hi Diane and Mark,

Glad it went well yesterday. :)

I suffered headaches and neck pain for weeks, which I do now think was more anxiety through not knowing what was going on, more than it being attributed to the SAH itself.

I do hope Marks' headaches start easing soon

Take care

Kel x

Hey Mark and Diane

Glad everything went well yesterday.

I was taken off Codeine after three weeks and then they tried Tramadol - which was just as bad - they were actually causing the headaches because they're both opium based. I managed with paracetamol and plenty of water - lack of fluids can also sometimes cause headaches. Hopefully now that the angio is over and done with the headaches may subside a bit too.

Take care both of you