New - Graham

Guest Graham

Guest Graham

Hi all , first time on the site ! I am an electrician from Southampton and 46.

On the 24 June 2007 I was rushed into hospital with a SAH. About 4/5 days before hand I was getting an increasingly painful headache. On the Sunday the pain got worse and I began to feel sick and dissorientated. Not til about 3/4 days later in hospital I began to realise what had happened. Pretty much completely changed my life for the worse. Oh yeah, now confused and angry with it !!

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham

A warm welcome to BTG, thank you for sharing your story and yes I can relate to what you saying about being confused which on most days I am but I must admit I am not angry about it, to me it's just life I guess!

Hope to hear more from you when you are ready.

Morning Graham welcome to the site.

I had my SAH in November 09, very glad to be still here and able to talk to you. :-P

I heard of a friend of my brother in law, only 43 did not get to hospital with his SAH.:frown:

I have not been angry one day, frustrated at losing seven to eight weeks memory in hospital but as I said grateful to be here, I am only 53.

I had no prior warning on the day it happened but like you had headaches and was sick repeatedly. When I finally lost conciousness my family realised how poorly I was. Luckily I was taken to Stoke Hospital and they saved my life.

This site has been a tremendous help in solving problems, sharing similar experiences and just knowing that you are not alone.

Hang in there Graham, try and turn the anger into something positive.

Speak to you again soon.

Hello Graham and welcome to the site :)

When you are ready perhaps you can tell us more about why you are confused and angry.

I do get confused and muddled and I suppose I do get angry with myself for not remembering stuff, losing things, and not being able to take in much new information. However after nearly 3 years, some counselling and this site, I am now more able to accept these things and even laugh about it at times. I think now it is more frustration at not being able to do as much as I want to do.

The positives are that I am much more mellow and actually enjoy my life more, I have taken up photography which helps in a few ways. I can look at my photos and that helps me to remember people and events, I see things differently post SAH and look in wonder at trees, skylines etc, so take photos of these things, I am also learning a new skill, albeit very slowly! :)

Take Care of yourself

Vivien

Hi Graham, and welcome to the site, sorry to hear about your sah, but don't be angry, the sah survivors on here are the lucky ones, and things will get easier for you as you go along, it is a life changing event,as many on this site will tell you but not all the changes are for the worse, my wife, and others i've spoken to are actually happier people since the sah than they were before, but maybe it takes a while to realise the positives, good luck Graham in your recovery, Best wishes Rod

Hi Graham

A warm welcome to the site hopefully you will find some help and support here. I think a lot of us felt very confused, scared and angry at first but things do seem to get a bit easier once you can accept the person you become post- SAH.

I spent the first 2 years trying to find the right work/life balance and learning to adapt to the new me. I still get angry and frustrated at times but that is aimed at myself when I push too hard and suffer with exhaustion and worse headpain than normal.

Look forward to hearing more about you when you're ready.

Hi Graham

So glad you have found the site, and perhaps in time you can get some help to understand, and learn to cope with the anger you feel, by chatting to the lovely people on here.

I am 37 and had my SAH 11th Dec and coiling op 18th Dec last year; so relatively new myself to all these emotions we feel following the event.

I have just gone back to work this week, and it hasn't been too bad. A little tiring admittedly, but am not fully back as part of the team doing all tasks, just easing my way back in!... :)

Good luck for your continued recovery and I know you will receive some great support here,

Take care

Kel x

A warm welcome, Graham.

I’m sure you will find this website useful, it seems most topics relating to the after effects of sah are discussed on here, and there is usually someone who has suffered with similar problems. You could always start a thread if you have a specific query that you would like advice on. I read somewhere on here that someone had started yoga which helped their mood – don’t know if it’s macho enough for you to try, but it may be worth considering – might help with sleeping problems – not sure if last night was a one off for you, or a regular occurrence, but lack of sleep will no doubt be a factor in how you feel, especially if you are working too.

Take Care,

Sarah

Hello Graham, welcome to the BTG site.

So glad you found us, and I really hope you find the site helpful. I think it's perfectly natural to feel angry and frustrated at what you've been through, an SAH is such a life changing event. Hopefully the lovely people here can help you to feel better about it all. Good luck :)

Blondie

hi graham

im somewhat amiss i hadnt welcomed you to btg you are quite right to feel angry because i think you have so many questions to ask that have gone unanswered since your bleed the fact you have found us maybe the anger will leave you yes its unfair i felt like that at the beginning as lin didnt deserve what had happened but it has and i for one have had to come to terms along with everyone on here and make the best of looking after lin yes i get angry but lins still with me and every time i walk in the room it goes and i get a nice warm feeling maybe in time this will happen to you if you are married the family will support and help you it maybe a nice idea if they registered as well because they will have the same type of feeling you have then we can help you and them because we are a unique group who have come through the other side a bit frayed round the edges but we have done it with the support of people who have survived and blossomed looking forwards to hearing from you when you are ready take care and chin up its the only way

Hi Graham :) a very warm welcome to BTG...what has happened to you has turned your life upside down...it is so hard to come to terms with......i have found it so frustrating, trying to get back to who i was....i am now trying to accept the new me.....onwards forwards :)....look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Love Tina xx

Hi Graham

Welcome to the site and to the family.

I can fully appreciate your feeling of anger - I was so angry and frustrated at first - not just because I couldn't do all the things I could before, but also because I saw it as a such a kick in the teeth and typical that nothing good ever happens to me and how dare this interrupt my life etc etc. Once I let the anger go, it got easier and counselling helped with my emtional state a great deal - this site has been the biggest healing power for me. Just talking to others who understand completely where you're coming from and how to get to where you're going has got me through the last four years.

I hope you continue to share with us - any emotion you experience I can guarantee that someone on here can relate to you.

Look forward to speaking to you more.