Richards coming back to Telford - yipppppeeeee

thats fantastic news zoe i think you will see a difference in him within a week or so once the phyisos get their hands on him i really wish you all the best for the future please remember to take some time out for yourself now the hard work starts for both of you im so pleased for you both hugs and cuddles sweetheart

Went to see Rich last night and it is just so much nicer where he is. On an observation ward with 5 others but at least he can watch people. After the horrible incident at Stoke with the commode which should never have happened I spoke to the nurse last night who said that as Rich knows he needs the toilet they will try him with the bed pan (he is so humiliated wearing and using the pads) so that is good. His sister made he a cottage pie and took that for him and he wolfed it down. He was only about 9 and a half stone before becoming ill but now there is just nothing to him so we are going to try to fatten him up. I know a lot of the care depends on the nurse but the nurse last night was so lovely so I felt a lot more reassured when I left him last night. I am going again this afternoon so it will be nice to have him to myself for an hour.

John - It would be great if at some point you could visit him. Once he is more "with it" I will explain to him how we have met (through this wonderful website) even though we only live a few houses away and have never met. I hink he would appreciate being able to talk to someone who has gone through the same.

Hi Zoe

It sounds like Richard is now in the best place, and they sound great. It must feel such a relief for you to be able to visit him and feel reassured when you leave again that they are treating him well and doing all they can.

I hope you have a good afternoon with Richard, and I am glad to hear he is doing well and wolfing down some food! That must be a good sign that he is in a better place and on the mend.

And that will be so lovely for John to visit and offer both of you even more reassurance and understanding too.

So glad for you, take care

Kel x

Rich is still on observation but is having some physio which is great - we are waiting for consultants to see him to decide where to move him. Yesterday they had him standing and tey sat him in a chair but when they turned their backs he fell out (I think he thought it was his chance to escape). Took Xara ( 8 ) last week and she got very upset so took her agai last night and rich wore a hat and she was fine. Luke (3) has been a couple of times and has been great.

John - I will send you a message but now kids back at school things are manic

I keep thinking about you and Rich! I just wanted to say that my mum had a stroke at 74 and it was horrible - she got aspiration pneumonia, c.diff, MRSA, everything, and this was in a French teaching hospital! Anyway, we thought we were going to lose her, yet bit by bit she made such a fantastic recovery. She couldn't speak or move her right side at first, and now she is living alone (with a home help and a cleaner twice a week) and doing A-MA-ZING. I'm telling you this to give you hope because I don't think anyone, not even the doctors, can tell what the future holds but there IS life after stroke. And Rich is young so he has that on his side. Just a thought - she doesn't remember the 6 weeks in hospital (in nappies) at all but her memories start from when she was moved to the rehab place, and that's probably a good thing because nappies + c.diff = sores so you can imagine it wasn't very nice.

Anyway, hope Rich goes from strength to strength. Take care x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all. Well Richard has now moved to the Rehab ward so hopefully his recovery should really start now. Been to see him this afternoon and he just sat staring out of the window not talking - he is starting to get very low. I am finding this difficult to deal with as I suffer from depression anyway and it is now starting to make me feel worse. Hard seeing the most laid back person in the world feeling like this

Hi Zoe, Glad to hear Richards in rehab now, Merrill went through a whole range of emotions when i first brought her home, and depression was one of hers but i took her to the gp and they put her on a medication for it and a couple of weeks later she had picked up no end, so maybe if it persists you could talk to his doctor and see if they could give him something fo it, hope he soon picks up Good luck Rod