Aphasia

Admin note 1: This post has been deleted by the original poster.

Admin note 2: Apologies to all the members and guests viewing this thread for its destruction by the original poster. Much of it has now been restored.

Edited by bogbrush
Added admin note

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome again Blueday (I said hello in another thread!). You are doing fantastic - living with aphasia must be very frustrating. My mother had a stroke 4 years ago and couldn't speak at all to begin with, but with intensive speech therapy she's a lot better now. Luckily she just laughs it off when she can't find a word, but it's hard.

So well done you, and I look forward to "chatting" to you again.

Hi Blueday

Welcome to the site!

Now that you mention the numerous times you feel your body was telling you there was a problem, I too can relate to that.

All through my secondary school I had chronic headaches and neck pain, and for the past 8 years I have suffered from migraines, where the pain would last an hour or so but the aftereffects (grogginess & hangover-like symptoms) would last 24-48 hours. In the past year I have suffered with nosebleeds on a regular basis. The nosebleeds are still happening now, although I have been told that is nothing to do with the aneurysm...so am awaiting referall to ear, nose & throat.

I find I have difficulty at times with immediately working out what someone is saying to me and forming a reply to it.

Kel x

Welcome to BTG Blueday

I had my SAH in 2 years ago and I also developed speech problems and more so when I get tired, it's frustrating. I was referred to the hospital for that I they feel that it was triggered by the SAH.

The Wellcome Trust sounds interesting, I think it will be very useful to find out more about the condition.

Take care and hope you keep well.

Hi blueday

Warm welcome to the site....

I was in rehab and know what you mean for me it was like being a child and being taught all over again.....

look forward to hearing more from you

take care

Hi Blueday,

Aphasia is an interesting subject and I think that many of us on here can relate to it to a degree, even if it is only a subtle problem for some of us or exacerbated by fatigue and stressful situations.

For anybody that wants to read up on Aphasia, then please click on the following Wikipedia page link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia

Wishing you the best of luck with your continuing rehab! 3 months in a coma is a long time ..... so, it sounds as though you're making really good process and I'm sure that your story will inspire others who read it! :-D

Hope that you keep updating this thread over time, to let us know how things are going with you and also the research work. xx

Hi Blueday

Glad you've got round to telling us a bit more about yourself and it was lovely chatting with you yesterday. Will try to catch up with you on chat again soon but I'm normally around more at the weekends.

Hi Blueday

Can completely relate to what you've said about it happening before and trying to piece it all together - fainting at college, constant head aches, feeling woozy and drunk even when sober etc, so yes could have been mini bleeds all along.

Don't know anything about aphasia I'm afraid, but so glad that you told us more about yourself and looking forward to getting to know you.

Keep up all your hard work, you're doing amazingly well.

Hi Blueday and a very warm welcome.

You have certainly been through it over the years, yet you appear to be doing remarkably well - I am so pleased you have found this site where there is lots of support and good advice.

I wish you continued success with your speech and language therapy and it's good to hear that you are going to be helping with the research - progress couldn't be made without volunteers, so well done.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Thankyou all for the welcome I have received.......! (from the bottom of my heart)

When I wrote to this site I didn't expect this response. Kinda humbling.

I wasn't sure if anybody would read it, but thanks to you all as it encourages me more. Better be careful what i write and keep my spelling correct. (where is my spell check friend !)

Since my SAH 4 years ago in many ways i have been a recluse and in many ways in denial......now I will break out, join the world as I am. I am mobile again as I have my driving licence again. Yes it's a little banger but i love it. I am careful and use it once a week. I have some sort of disability of my right leg. When I walk I have to concentrate on my right leg. Some people take it for granted, as I did before. I used to go on long walks.....never thought about it. Now I walk thinking. My left leg does it own thing naturally, my right leg I think 'Right leg........Right leg........Right leg'. In the past year I have broken 3 toes when I forget or takes it for granted, or talk too much while walking. But i wont stop now.

Has anybody noticed when they are talking to the 'Normal' people you may notice they say the right thing.....they are politically correct as opposed to the 'Saviours', as if their lives have been shunted to one side.... they tell you honesty.... like me they can be direct and at times lose some diplomacy (i have been told off before)

I have problems with memory so remembering all your names is a challenge. But I will. But i thank you all for your honesty......

blueday (but today the sun is out)

Edited by bogbrush
Post restored after deletion by original poster.

Hey Blueday

A lot of people go into denial about this sort of thing having a peek at the world is a good thing dont be put off by stuff.

My right leg is the one I drag a bit used to drag it a lot but its easier with use:roll:

I had to learn lots of things in the rehab things you take SO much for granted day to day stuff...

Your not alone there in not being able to remember names but hey its ok....

glad the suns out its trying here thats about it....

take care

Hi Blueday,

I have noticed that people do try to 'say the right thing' around me I suppose it is only natural. I can pick up on it right away though and the same goes for people being a bit over sympathetic.

I also have become very direct with people but I do take great care not to hurt or offend anyone, that would just be too out of character for me.

I have now read about your condition,(sorry I have forgotten how to spell it already!)and now know a bit more.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

momo

Hello Blueday and welcome.

Glad that you are getting some encouragement from this site. Don't worry about spelling and stuff, we all understand. Don't worry about remembering names either. Us SAH survivors all have problems with that one!

Regards

Hi Blueday,

I also have to walk, thinking .... something that came so naturally, is now something that I well and truly have to think about. It was a beautiful evening yesterday, so Eric and I decided to take the dog out to some National Trust land called Pamphill, a couple of miles away .... absolutely beautiful, but the grass is riddled with potholes, so I made one of my better judgements and took my stick with me .... even though I hate the damned thing! :wink: But, better to enjoy the moment, than worry about what other people think .... and I managed to do a fair bit of walking. Think that my brain gets more weary than my legs... :lol:

I stroked on my left hand side during the brain haem, so my right side is dominant and has a tendency to pull me over, so I have to correct it ... it's a lot better or perhaps I'm just adapting, who knows! I feel forever as though I'm on a learning curve, but getting out and achieving is good for the soul, even if it's only a small thing .... :biggrin:

As Keith has already said, don't ever worry about your spelling or remembering names ... we know what it's like and nobody on this site judges anybody else... we're all in the same boat and it's great to know that you're finding some encouragement from the site. x

When I think about it I also have to think when I'm walking which is what I wasnt doing a few weeks ago, fell coming up the path looking in my bag for my keys at the time.....:yikes: will I ever learn - probably not:roll:

Karen - I also walked over pot-holey land last week and had to take it easy and really watch what I was doing, it certainly does seem that the brain gets more tired than the legs!

Louise - hopefully you will learn now, after being bruised and battered! ;)

Kel x

wellcome Blueday

each one of us has different problems , my bleed/coiling is still rather recent but i have like Karen III nerve palsy which means double vision when looking to the extremes but even close blurred vision. This is even agravated by the fact that I have always been very shortsighted and my work is in front of a computer screen¡¡

Anyhow if you have read or when you read the stories on this site you will at least learn improvement is possible years after the bleed so hope is the last thing to loose. I very much recomend you visit a psicologist (sorry for spelling) if you havent done so yet. And careful with your walks if you value your toes¡¡¡

Hi Blueday & welcome to BTG. :)

I have aphasia too. It can be flaming frustrating for me as I have to talk to people all day at work and now they treat as if I am a bit simple. Anyway. The research done by Wellcome Trust might be helpful.

Hope you continue to improve.

Ern

Hi Blueday, Merrill my wife also has speech problems,some times she slurs or trips on the words and sometimes she runs out of breathe before she finishes a sentence, her speech problems seem to have got worse just latley though and she's now 13 months on, the rehab hospital are trying to get her a speech and language therapist but they say in our area they are like gold dust,anyway good luck to you with your recovery, Best wishes Rod

Hi Rod....

I am dissapointed that your wife has not had any support. After an injury, the time to work and repair is quicker rather than later......so 13 months on keep banging on the desk for your wife. Speech and Language would help and let Merrill know how long she will stay with it. Good Luck Rod.

Edited by bogbrush

Hi Blueday

It looks same as me!!! I have very seeming things as you. I find things hard to understands everything, I ask 'why me'!!! It has taking me a year today!!! Life seems so diferent. Half of me is as I was, now the other half are very different!! I can write very small, read very small and speak very small. Very different then I used to be, maybe too much!! Im going on holiday on Saturday, hooray. Soon my job will be gone, but now I have Epilepsy and also lost some vision.

Any way, it is differnt!!!

Debbiexx

Debbie happy 1st ani-versary the first year is a real battle.....but you've got there.....

I was like that things were very hard to understand (Im still like that a bit when tired) have a lovely holiday where are you off to, hope the weathers good.....

take care

Yes Debs it does take some time.....from my experience just one year is still a bit quick.

But hey........enjoy your holiday and I look forward to you writng about your trip abroad..... as I trip over my feet again.

Best wishes

Edited by bogbrush