newbie - hi all ryan

ryanphillip

i'm so glad to find this site...for months i've been looking for answers and trying to find comfort that i'm not the only one. It's been 4 months now since it happened. No coiling, no surgery needed but i still have uncertainty and fear. I have headaches daily and get tired easily. will it get better? respectfully,Ryan

Edited by jess

Hello Ryan,

Welcome to BTG.

Yes, it does get better but it does take time. The road to recovery is a bit different for us all so you have to listen to your body and brain, rest when they're telling you to! You need to give yourself plenty of rest to heal, you're still in early days of recovery yet.

Drink plenty of water, that really will help with the headaches.

The feeling of uncertainty and fear is very common and normal, have you talked to your doctor about your feelings? Close family and friends? It's so easy to bottle things up, to plod on and pretend everything is ok but in the end it won't help your recovery.

BTG has been a god send to me, your'll find lots of advice here,your'll make good friendships and have a good giggle too!

I wish you well with your recovery.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Edited by SarahLou

Hi Ryan

Warm welcome to the site.

nearing 12yrs for me yep it gets better, take things easy, dont over do stuff, learn to listen to your body telling you to slow down, keep your fluid intake up.

you'll notice that in time things will start to get a little better....

hope to hear more from you, hope the site helps you.

take care

Hi Ryan,

Nice to meet you! So glad you have come across this site as it can be quite a lonely experience recovering from sah.

It was over a year until I came across this site and I found it very difficult getting by at times, especially when I had to go in for more surgery. Fear does tend to subside over time. It's still early days for you in terms of recovery - no two people recover at the same pace, but please be reassured that things will get better as time goes by.

Don't forget to ask any questions that might concern you, it is more than likely that someone on this site will have experienced something similar and give you some sound advice.

In the meantime, take it easy, rest and drink plenty of water, these simple things really can make a difference.

Take care,

Sarah

Hi Ryan

Glad you have now found this site!

You will find that BTG is a source of great comfort, insight and understanding. It has been a god-send for me too, as I felt I was going mad when I came out of hospital, and it is so comforting to find out that others have felt the same and they understand how you are feeling.

As others have said - lots of water and lots of rest are key to allowing your brain and body to recover well.

Take care

Kel x

Hi Ryan, welcome to BTG! There are lots of warm, caring, and friendly people here and I've found them to be so very helpful to through my recovery. I had a brain bleed on November 10 2010. I didn't need surgery either. Can you tell us more about what happened to you?

Sandi K.

Hi Ryan

So glad that you found us - it can be hard when you think you're all alone.

You're very early in your recovery and everyone's is different. The best advice is to make sure you get plenty of rest and drink plenty of water. Little steps lead to great leaps. Take everything a day at a time. It is scary at first and you're constantly wondering "whatf if" and "will it happen again" - this does get easier to deal with as time goes on. The fatigue and the headaches will be quite frequent at the moment, but again with time these should ease. Listen to your body and rest when it tells you to. In a few months time you will be able to push yourself a little further each day.

Take care and speak soon

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to BTG! Ditto to what everyone else has said, there always seems to be someone to answer your questions. It takes a long time to heal from this. I'm 9 months post SAH now and can pretty much do everything as before - still don't like high pitched noises and have the odd tired day, but things do get better. Drinking plenty does help lots with the headaches - i definitely noticed when i didn't have enough. Bit of fresh air helped me as well. Listen to your body and you will feel better, just takes time.

Hope you're having a good day, take care

Juliette xx

Hi Ryan.

Welcome to BTG.

You will find all the advice and support that you need on this site. There is no simple answer or secret formula for recovery.

We are all different and yet,

have so much in common.

The contributors on this site have a combined wisdom that transcends medical expertise. The advice that will flow is based on experience

and years of coping with the aftermath of traumatic events. There is a huge scale of neuro- events but there is no such thing as a minor bleed.

The psychological effect of any bleed is deep seated and has far reaching effects and health implications that are not considered by the medical profesion.

This is where BTG comes in.

We all know the fears that you are currently experiencing.

I hope you come to open up to the forums ,like I have, as the strength that can be drawn from the collected knowledge is life changing.

Use the private messaging system or use the forums, but ask, whatever you need to know, someone will respond.

There is no-one more skeptical or suspicious of on-line friendships than me, but the advice and encouragement that I have received on this site has helped me in ways that go far beyond neuro- related events.

My downward spiral of depression and self destruction was halted by talking some of the wonderful, generous people on this site.(who know who they are)

Ryan, I hope all your fears and uncertainty can be alleviated on this site. Keep talking, keep listening, but above all else, remember, you are no longer alone

We all know exactly how you feel.

All the best,

Bill B.

i'm so glad to find this site...for months i've been looking for answers and trying to find comfort that i'm not the only one. It's been 4 months now since it happened. No coiling, no surgery needed but i still have uncertainty and fear. I have headaches daily and get tired easily. will it get better? respectfully,Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the club from one newbie to another, I was very fortunate not to have a bleed, I had coiling surgery and still have an aneurysm being monitored, I am 6 months into recovery and YAAAAAY it gets better, You are still very early into your recovery, be patient with yourself and time, And time we now have :wink:

Besty Wishes

Gaynor

Hi Ryan and welcome to the Behind the Gray site. You will find it a life changing experience just like your SAH. The people on here are warm caring, humorous, knowledgeable and most importantly have been through what you have been through. Nearly every kind of experience has occurred to the Members so you will find answers to almost every question.

However what you will also find is that everyone has different experiences because our recoveries will differ along with our actual SAH. I am approaching my 2nd Anniversary in November and will have to go for another MRI scan to check the Annie that was coiled and to ensure that my bleed has shrivelled up. Will you still be tired? probably yes, how much will depend on how you pace yourself and how you listen to your body. Is there life after an SAH? most definitely, I have been very lucky, I am now a Granddad and have also returned to work, all be it in a different role. But I still have no memory of a five week period until they gave me a VP Shunt and I came back from being away with the fairies. I owe everything to the staff at North Staffs Hospital in particular the High Dependency Unit and Staff. I have never asked why me? because I could also ask why did I survive? I treat every day as a good day and one in which I am glad to be enjoying.

Ryan enjoy the rest of your life and do everything that your body will allow you too, but listen to it and rest when you need to, that is essential to your continued recovery.

Take care.:wink:

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the site.

I had my NASAH two months ago now, so its still pretty early days. Some days I feel so good that I can almost forget that it happened for a moment or two, then I get tempted to take on too much and end up overdoing it and spending the following day feeling tired. SandiK says a lot of good things in the Going back to Work thread she started back in August - so if you haven't gone there yet give it a read.

One of the things I still struggle with, despite otherwise fantastic recovery, is the fatigue which being in a busy sensory environment gives. For example, we belong to a sailing club, and on Friday evenings we go down for "happy hour" (although I'm still on the lime & soda !). In the Clubhouse there can be lots of people, lots of noise from people talking, and lots of visual stimulation (lights, movement). I can last about 2 hours in this environment and then only if I'm not in the thick of it. Interestingly, almost as soon as I remove myself and go outside (and after a couple of hours go home !), the headache and the strange sense of being overwhelmed goes away. My tolerance is gradually improving but that's by far the element of my recovery which is the slowest to improve. I'm sure some people think I'm just putting it on, being a wimp and being just plain anti-social because I otherwise look so well.

Are you back at work yet, Ryan ? If yes, then let us know about your journey & experiences.

I've found this site extremely supportive and I hope that you do too.

Take care,

Mags

Thank you Mags, i came back to work 3 wks after it happened actually. i told my doctor being at home was driving me nuts, i was thinking of the worst and stresses myself out of thinking that it might rupture again. i will check SandiK's thread for sure. I just feel weird when i'm not doing anything at home, so i came back to work. Funny though, the first 3 months i hardly felt anything in my head. After my last CT scan and visit to my neuro the tightness in my head and headaches started. I was so stressed and seeing my doctor every week. He said that it's normal and it will get better in time. Also was told to limit my work out habits to brisk walking and try not to lift weights for it will add pressure in my head. Besides my neurologist and my primary doctor monitoring my recovery i also have a nephrologist to monitor my kidney. I have hypertension (taking meds and under control). I find this site very informative and supportive...lots of great people in here...

Ryan