Struggling at work - Sharon Hitchen - New member

Sharon Hitchen

Hello...I had my SAH in Feb 2015...it was coiled then I developed several complications and spent 10 days on critical care...I also have a second small aneurysm which is just being monitored...I recovered very well physically and now regularly use the gym and no longer smoke after 30 years !!

I returned to my job as a senior ward nurse in August and had an 8 week phased return which was very tiring but I was so glad to be back..unfortunately work have put lots of pressure on me to get back to working 12.5 hour shifts which I have consistently expressed concern at the building up to, as my brain seems to switch off after 10 hours max !!

I did 7 am till 6pm last week and it tipped me over the edge so gp has signed me off again which has knocked my confidence and made me feel like I'm going backwards! Any advice gratefully received !!

Hi Sharon :)

A very warm welcome to BTG.

Firstly congratulations on getting back to work so soon. So sorry you have been pushed too quickly to do a 12.5 hour shift.

Not surprised your brain has switched off ! Your body has a way of letting you know you are doing too much. 

I am glad your GP has signed you off again. Please don't let it knock your confidence, I think work has a lot to answer for. They did not listen to your consistent concerns of it all being too much too soon.

Hopefully you can rest up and re charge those batteries until you feel ready to start back to work again at a pace right for you.

There are some great posts on the Forum of others that have had similar problems. I will find some links that may help you.

http://web.behindthegray.net/index.php?/topic/4235-employment-and-disability-service-eads/#entry64663

http://web.behindthegray.net/index.php?/topic/3834-returning-to-work-any-advice/#entry56841

http://web.behindthegray.net/index.php?/topic/4151-work-pressure/#entry62735

Glad you found us and feel free to join in the banter in The Green Room.

Take care

Tina xx

• Like 1

This is a good site, before I came on here I was okay but was so scared about dying and leaving my Family but  because of BTG, I have realised it isn't all doom and gloom and there is a life after SAH/Anni's.

You do work,  at your own pace or what makes you feel comfortable,  No rushing xx

I wish you well and as the Surgeon said "No Stress"  I find smiling a lot and singing helps me relax but sad to say my family tend to disagree with me ha ha  xx

Good luck on your recovery and Take It Easier xx

Regards

Winb143 xx

• Like 2

Hi Sharon , glad you found us.
I too had my SAH in February and am just completing a very long phased return to work. I too work in the health industry and find it incredible that your work have not been more sympathetic. 12.5 hour shifts are hard work. I do 9.5 hour shifts and struggle the day after.

I hope you can get something resolved in the time you are off to try and change your punishing hours. Do you have an occupational health advisor you can go to.

Keep strong you have done really well with the smoking - I gave up 2 years before my SAH and know how hard it is. Keep exercising and hopefully things will improve.
Look forward to hearing more from you

Clare xx

• Like 2

Thanks everyone..Clare I have asked for another appointment with occupational health but they can't see me till end November so think okay need to be off till then...has anyone got experience of disability employment advisors ? I presume we are covered by disability act post SAH ? I certainly feel disabled !xx

Disability Employment Advisors are employed by DWP and found at Job Centres. Their job is to get you into work regardless of your condition so I don't think they will be of any help.

I would presume you are in a union, they will be the people to ask advice from or failing that try ACAS.

• Like 1

Hello Sharon - Nice to meet you but wish under other circumstances.  Wow!  All of those hours!  I can't even imagine that.  I'm not allowed to work - at the present.  Not sure about future.  

My SAH was last July.  I'm from U.S. and the hospital applied for disability for me before I even went home.  It took 3 or 4 months but I finally got it.  All we had to do is fill out forms, do a phone interview.

Not many unions left over here so totally different experience.  Don't try too fast to do so many hours.  Does your employer understand this?

I wish you well and can only tell you to follow Win's advice - and try very hard to think positive about your future.  Come back here often.

Be well

Carolyn 

• Like 1

Hi Sharon, I'm sorry to hear you are having such difficult times but I can't say I am all that surprised that you would be struggling to manage all those hours so soon. It is so very admirable that you are trying to do this but reality and physical stamina is reminding you that it was just 9 months since you damaged your brain and asking you to tread a little slower.

I suspect that those in medical professions whom witness daily the amazing feats a human body can withstand and survive can become quite indifferent to the lasting effects of some of these conditions and thus become the worst employer. It's the ' oh you had a SAH, so glad you are feeling better' view without truly considering and thinking about what a bleed actually does and how hard you must find working with those demands and bright lights.

So take the time to rest up, speak to your Union rep and ask for some adjustments to be made. Yes they do have to consider those requests and respond appropriately but I also say to anyone who finds themselves in situations like ours is to think about what you want, what does good, look like for you? Think about practically if that can work , and if so how. The employer has to consider it but it's up to us to really be honest about our reality and what is practical and hopefully if they value you as a employee and a colleague they will find a way to make it work. Together. Collaborating and talking.

We have some doctors and nurses who are on the forum as fellow SAHers so hopefully a couple of them may be able to share some practices which have worked for them.

• Like 2

Hi Sharon and welcome to BTG

I havent actually started back work yet, think it will early Jan 2016 on a phased return

I have been doing some Ikea furniture assembly for my daughters bedroom and found even 4 hours doing that is giving me headaches and feeling tired

With having my sah early july 2015 then january already seems quite a daunting prospect, or am I expecting too much too soon

Hope all is well and looks like only time and our bodies will tell us ehen the time is right

Take care

Hi Sharon
Good to see you have found site and that others have given you some helpful advice. I had my SAH in Jan and went back to work in July on a 4 week phased return. I do four days of around 9.30 hours some times longer, I struggle many days and by Thursday (day off on Fri) night just shattered, your shifts are very long and I guess you also have different shift patterns including nights. This must be so hard after all you have experienced. I am too back on sick I have to say with unrelated shoulder problem - and half pay looming - just what I need near Christmas!

Not sure would your employer let you do less days (I guess this would be at less pay) so you can have longer time in between shifts, I guess until you have meeting with Occupational health these things cannot be worked through. I guess ultimately you may have to make some hard decisions about work, not easy as so much is linked in with work and finances. I could not afford to change hours but beginning to wonder if made right decision as I am ill again.

I hope you feel better soon and that together with Union and occ health you work out something that is right for you
Regards
Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to BTG.  I don't know what you do work-wise but there are Health and Safety issues to consider.  Does what you do affect the health and well-being of others as well as yourself?  The H&S at Work Act 1974 and and the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, Sex Discrimination Act 1975, spring to mind, and so forth. Only you can answer those things. 

If you are in a Union, you are usually entitled to legal help through them so contact your rep straight away and outline your case so they can advise you properly.  On here, we can all give you if's but's and maybe's but they can give you proper advice and represent you if need be.

Also, if your employer were to start actions to dismiss or demote you then you need to take prompt action as the time limits for taking action are less than they used to be and are very strict.

Try and arrange a phased return - going straight back to 12 hour shifts is impracticable and usually impossible after a SAH.  Get a letter from your doctor to show your employer and keep several copies - you may need them!

I would also recommend that you print off emails and keep communications from your employer and your responses and also keep a diary so that you can use that documentation if needed. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

I hope everything works out for you the way you want it to, but as they say forewarned is forearmed!  Find out your entitlements early not after the event ie fix the roof when it is sunny not when it is raining!

Good luck!

Macca

• Like 3