Hello I'm a newbie

Guest Chills

Guest Chills

Hi. I was 57 when my world shattered in 3 minutes. Busy was my middle name. I worked fulltime as a PA for a multinational engineering company and ran my holistic business in my own time, so relaxation and rest wasnt in my vocabulary. I was 12.5 stones, suffered from high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and pretended these illnesses didnt exist in my mind. On 30th December 2006 at approx 6.30am, I collapsed. I was fortunate because I shouted for my husband who was in bed and asked him to get an ambulance asap. I told him I had a stroke, left side was 'dead'. I recall bits of my treatment in hospital, I remember vaguely 'entering' into the cavity of the MRI machine. I remember being in the ward. I suffered a cerebral haemmorage in my right side due to high blood pressure. They were going to operate but decided to bring the blood pressure down before deciding if I really needed an op. 4 months later May 2nd, I was discharged. On 6th May my grandson was born. Walking was difficult, left arm was solid, movement was painful. Wheelchair bound. I could walk but my confidence 'hit' the floor. The community physio came daily to offer some exercises and got me walking on the pavement outside my house. My husband 'hated' pushing the wheelchair and equally I hated being in it. I felt ashamed. Along came Jan with the Electro Crystal Therapy and within 3 sessions, pain receded, after 6 sessions, I lifted my arm straight up. My weight dropped 4 stone. I was pleased. It is embedded in my brain when the consultant initially told me that losing weight would be better for my health. This has registered in my brain. 19 months later, my hand is 75% working, I walk barefooted at home, without a stick, but wear a splint outside and use a stick. I'm reluctant to return the wheelchair just in case. Its positioned downstairs as a reminder of where I've been, and where I intend to go from now on. I no longer work, nor do I practice my holistic therapies. But by year end, I will start up reflexology for a stroke charity. I have just started ARNI Training because I have read and heard wonderful improvements made by strokees who have been on this Training session.

A warm welcome to you Chills

Wow you must be very proud of yourself, to have done so well and got so far,after such a life changing hiccup in your life :D This is a wonderful website, i have 'met' such lovely people that have given me so much support and advise. There is always someone who will be able to answer your questions that have been there and can advise you. I wish you all the best for the future.... keep doing what you are doing.... well done you :D:D:D

Take care

Love Tinaxx

Hi Chills and a warm welcome

I can only echo what Tina has already said you should be extremely proud of how far you've come. Could you let me in on your weight loss secret I still struggle to loose any at all.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Janet x

Guest Chills

Thank you all. I feel cheated, I was planning to do my Teaching cert in order to teach reflexology when I retired. Maybe, next year. In the meantime I need to walk better, get better stability and strength in my left hand and get my confidence back. Thats why by getting my practice back, I will be forced to meet 'strangers' to do treatments on and donating all monies to stroke charities. Will that day come? Watch this space. As for my weight loss, no secret, the stroke affected my sense of taste. I have a burning sensation on my tongue like I've eaten chilli. So, my appetite has disappeared and I tend to have very little food nowadays. I've lost the hunger sensation so have to remind myself to eat. We visited france for a month in May and food looked fab, but no appetite.

hello and welcome

you will make lots of friends here who anser all your questions i should know i post ALOT.....

My names donna i'm 28 and i had a sah in april this year and learning alot from my new frinds on how to live my life and know that everythings going to be alright.

Welcome again and hope to speak to you again xx

Hi Chills

Warm welcome to this wonderful website, it really has helped me with my ongoing recovery. I had SAH mid March this year and i know that it can change your life forever.

I was studying aromatherapy before my SAH but i could not go back to college for the rest of the course, i might have to give up on that completely because some of the oils now give me a headache.

I hope we hear from you soon and take care.

Myra xx

Hi Chills

Coiling and clipping refers to the methods used to seal off a cerebral aneurysm to prevent further bleeding. Did you have an aneurysm?

Coiling is where it is filled with platinum coils from the inside. We have an article about that on the site here.

Clipping is where it is sealed from the outside with a titanium clip, which involves opening the skull with a craniotomy.

Both methods are briefly discussed here.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Keith

Hi Chills

A warm welcome to the website......

Ditto what everyone else has said...

Way to go you've done brilliant good for you well done, when I had a SAH I was told I'd be 80% dissabled 20% I turned that around the other way just with sheer determination too its a powerful thing.....

Take care

Louise.x

Guest Chills

Thanks for info on clipping etc. I had a cerebral haemmorage due to high blood pressure so docs decided to bring pressure down instead of operating.

Hey there

Welcome to the family and the site. This place has been a godsend to me and I've met some wonderful people who I know are going to be life long friends - I hope you get as much from this site as I do.

You've done brilliantly so far in your recovery and I hope you continue to do so - you sound like a very determined and strong woman - this'll help you.

Speak soon

TTFN

Sami xxx

• 1 month later...

hello i am a newbie,but not to strokes. i have had 2 tias and a med stroke. i had my first Tia 2002 which effected my right eye causing partial blindness.my main stroke was on boxing day 2005 and had no swalling control or left side movement.i had 8 weeks in hospital,and after a lot of treatment 14months i went back to work ,with a claw hand (left) and a limp . i then tried to do too much like we do! and ended up with severe spasticity and pneumonia,with another 7 weeks in hospital.i am now trying to recover. i was recommended this site as i am also a different strokes member too.

Hi Paulg and welcome to behindthegray..... :D

Sounds as though you've been through the mill .... yes, you're right, I think that we all try to do too much too early .... think that my eyesight and balance have caused me the most problems overall .....

Hope that things get better for you very soon ..... take it easy....

There's some lovely people on this website and as you can probably see from the Green Room forum, they enjoy having a chat and keeping in touch with each other ..... think that the support plays a big part in the recovery process and it's good to know that you're not alone.... :)

Hi PaulG :D:D

A warm welcome to Behind The Gray, so sorry you have had such a rough time. This web site has been a God send to me.... such lovely warm caring people that support each other. As Karen has said, we visit the Green Room, where we can laugh or cry, we are there for each other, you are not alone.

Take care

Love Tinaxx

thank you for your warm welcome.after 3 yrs i have now got some help from the psycology medcine at my hospital to hel me deal with stroke and the physical and mental problems it causes,up to now i have been seeing the doctor for 6 weeks and is of great help,but it seems that thier is a very short suooly of these people.paulg

sorry i have not replied sooner i am trying to see my way around the site.after seeing my occupatianal therapist i can now work at home (only 30mins a day thats the deal, i work for a company thats been very supportive with me (i have worked for them 35yrs)i must say one thing 18months ago i went to a nhs work rehab unit (thier is only 3 in uk as far as i know)and met people with brain bleeds or head injuries,and we all seem to have very similar disabilties,and all of us adapt,although i tried to adapt too fast. some guidence please what is the green room? and i cant seem to find myself on board under newbie. take care all paulg