Cinema visit

Yesterday we went to the cinema and the experience freaked my husband out.  He couldn’t stand the start as it was too loud and also the fact the screen over whelmed him as well and he felt quite uneasy.   It took him a while to adjust and made him feel sickly for the rest of the day.  Has this happened to anyone else

I am still like that,  movement and noise makes me feel very ill. Mine is to such an extent that I can't even watch the television.

I am almost 14 years post SAH and it has never got any better.

I just avoid the cinema and television now, not worth the effects.

Me too ☹️ I’m 2and a half years post SAH now I watch very little TV, Same as Siper Mario, I can’t stand the noise and movement and to be honest I can’t follow a storyline, The concentration wears me out. Mad isn’t it? 

Jan xx

11 minutes ago, Jan said:

Me too ☹️ I’m 2and a half years post SAH now I watch very little TV, Same as Siper Mario, I can’t stand the noise and movement and to be honest I can’t follow a storyline, The concentration wears me out. Mad isn’t it? 

Jan xx

That is something else with me, I can't follow the storyline either.

Hi there

I struggled in the beginning but have since been to concerts, cinema, bike racing etc.  It got better with time and your hubby could too - don't give up hope.  Remember, his brain is still healing and somethings will be overwhelming.

My Neurosurgeon told me to liken my SAH to a severely broken leg and to think about how long that would take to heal and then to times that amount by 6 to even contemplate the brain healing.  

Hang on in there xxx

Hi

I was very sensitive to noise and light in the early months and remember finding my first trip to the cinema a bit of an assault on the senses.

I'm 2 years post NASAH and things have improved, though I would still never dream of going to a large multiplex cinema without foam ear plugs. Most of the time I go to a small local independent cinema - the noise levels are definitely lower there and I can usually manage without the ear plugs.

I have no problems watching telly (though earplugs still required when visiting the parents), but I can't ever have it on in the background - even muted - I have to concentrate solely on it or switch it off.

And I still can't watch the opening credits of 'The Big Bang Theory' without closing my eyes.

As Skippy says - don't give up hope. It is early days for your husband and things will probably improve.

x

I have also struggled with going to the cinema, it’s over 7 years since my SAH and I’ve only been to the cinema a couple of times. It’s so loud! I take ear plugs and wear sunglasses, I must look like a crazy woman! The last film I saw was Fantastic Beasts (no way was I missing that!!) however I waited until it was on the smaller screen and it was so much better.

There’s going to be two films I want to see this year so it’ll be interesting to see how I cope with those.

Another thing I struggle with,but make myself do,is a theatre trip now and again with a dear bud, that has got easier over the years, but again I take ear plugs and wear sun glasses. I’m also very mindful of what time of day I go, having rest beforehand and after.

I also struggle with some things on the tv, flashing lights and images etc.

Truly love Big Bang too but also need to look away at opening credits!!

Have patience and understanding, pace and plan, your’ll get there.

Take care,

SL Xx

My first month, i could not. But after a month, i can read and watch TV without difficulty, so I am lucky.

One night I was in a restaurant with my young nephews. They grabbed some balloons and acted like they were going to pop them with forks.

The parents were not controlling them. I seriously lost it at the thought of a balloon popping in my face. I freaked out and ran out of the restaurant. It is funny in retrospect. My family didnt understand.

Oh gosh, yes, the movies, what  nightmare,

i decided post SAH  i wanted to try out this activity, I was 8 months out from bleed and four our from having shunt  placed  but I didn’t want to be scared of doing it and so my beloved Nana offered to take me and hold my hand. I was still a long time away from driving so we took a taxi.  This is the blog I wrote not long after that and as you can see I am glad I took the trip. 

http://popgoestifty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/skyfall-with-nana.html?m=0

Looking back it was rather ambitious of me . At the same point I couldn’t focus on anything for long. Had to wear ear plugs and sunglasses out and about so the 007  movie was orobably way too much too soon, it wiped me out for days . But once done I knew I could do it . And I’m so glad I did. I rarely go now as it’s not often there is a movie worth draining my battery that much and if I do go has to be an ‘easy’ film   No crazy camera angles or intense story line. But it’s improving still as back then I couldnt watch TV for any length of time without dizziness and fatigue spiking but I just built it up gradually and over time my tolerance have changed and improved. 

I hope your husbands tolerance improves  too. It’s not a pleasant effect at all and for now he has to work out where to lean in or out but that is an ongoing lesson for us all 

I know we are not supposed to give med advice but I would be careful with alcohol. Definitely not to be taken to calm one down. Some neuro says not to drink again after SAH. There can be issues with blood pressure, increase chances for falls, seizures, hangovers and alcohol affects the body differently after a stroke/ SAH. Interacts with meds.

Also it s a lot of calories. The only drink I do is a small coke daily and I might have a medium size one at the movies. And I m happy.

Yes I was like that but have since went a good few times, and been to a couple of shows its not easy but no way I'm I letting it stop me.

I did read about using ear plugs but that just made my balance all the worse.

The small screen cinemas are far better and don't sit at the front, sit at the back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived