Confusion and forgetfullness

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone experiences absent mindedness, forgetfulness and confusion. I am over 2 years from my coiling and have begun these new symptoms. My short term memory has been bad throughout but now I am starting to forget things. I have a strict tablet regime as I take strong painkillers (another ailment) but am starting to forget taking them. Yesterday I replied to a firm who did a job for me and sent me a questionaire, I sent the pre paid envelope but forgot to put the form inside, I could go on. Nothing serious at moment as when pain starts I then remember my tablets.

Is this common???

Cheers

John

Hi John :D

I too suffer from short term memory...and it drives me mad.....just hope it will get better! If i get distracted...quite often forget what i was doing or leave something half done and find it later :roll:

I have to double check myself on things a lot now....never did before!

Take care

Love Tinaxx

Hi John

I often forget to take my tablets too but the worse thing is if i take my tablets i would forget i have taken them so i have taken them again.

So now i have bought one of the tablet dispensers that gives out the date and time.

The most irritating things is when i am talking to people i now forget more often what i wanted to say, this sadly causes me great stress.

Take care John.

Myra xx

My short term memory is shot to pieces as well, the various coping strategies that I have in place are beginning to fail me as well. Like most of you I have to take medication and I often find myself wondering if I have taken it! I am now five years post SAH but I wouldn't say that it is worse now than in the early years (or to put it more accurately my wife wouldn't!).

Scott

Hi John,

I'm over 2 years now as well and leave the grill/ oven on, think i've posted stuff but haven't and yes my list can go on too!

The day of the notts meet, I had arrived in Notts and then remembered i hedn't turned off the grill- looking my sis only lives a couple of hundred yards away!

You can join my forgetful club!

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

My short term memory is a lot better than it was during early recovery ..... however, it is worse when I get tired or stressed and then my speech starts going too. As many of my non-SAH friends remind me, "Karen we do similar", so perhaps it's a combination of the ageing process and the SAH. I also get the confusion bit too, again it's worse when tired or stressed ...

Eric has a new car and I drove it for the first time today .... even the damned key and the locking system confused me ....but I did it, drove it to the supermarket and all was fine....my favourite phrase since the SAH is "only tell me what I need to know" .... too much information just sends my brain into overload.

Yes my memory is shocking and I lose things, and like Karen it gets worse if I am tired or if there is too much going on :)

I also struggle to remember what I did last week and my sense of time is not the same , I remember going to Scotland for a holiday but not when I went unless I look it up :)

My short term memory is dreadful, mainly when I'm tired. I can be told something and a few seconds later, it's gone. I go into rooms or open cupboards and can't remember why. I mix up my words or can't even find the word I want. Strangely enough, it only seems to be trivial stuff I forget. At work, for example, I have to juggle many things in my head and I rarely forget anything.

Regards

Keith

Hi John :) I'm another forgetful one, particularly short term memory. it is quite frustrating for me ( and I expect for many of us) it leads to all sorts of embarrassing moments, like not remembering that someone has perhaps sent you something and because you have forgotten you don't say a word, they must think that we are all becoming damn rude! Karen don't let people make you think it is just the ageing process 1) you are far too young for that and 2) you need to be taken seriously your 'senior moments' are caused by a brain injury, not just life! I agree that the forgetfulness etc is worse when you are tired and also apparently appear to be drunk!

Guest ElaineW

My mum has definite memory loss and forgetfulness although only six months down the line. She has done exactly the same as you with the envelope scenario and really struggles with this as her memory was 100% before her SAH. She will forget conversation that happened an hour before and asks me the same questions many a time. She couldn't remember whether to butter toast initially, could not spell small words and could not add up. This upset her so much but it varies from day to day how she is. I just keep telling her that memory loss is the least of her problems and that I am just happy she is still with me; at the beginning she would not accept this at all but she does now. I can appreciate it from your side of the coin though and can imagaine how frustrating it must be for you. Mum struggles to get words out and they sometimes come out wrong but hey - she is alive. She can appreciate that now and is happy.

Elaine

Hi All

Yep, I can identify with everything you've all written; my short term memory is NOT GOOD to say the least. It's really frustrating and upsets me greatly when I'm tired but is a great source of amusement when I'm not. At a recent neuro appointment I said that I seem to live my life off lists and my surgeon said that I need to accept it will probably always be like that now. I too have learned to put all the meds in one of those pill boxes divided into 7 days.

We've had all sorts of funny experiences with the memory loss, some of which could have, and some of which have, culminated in very messy accidents; for example - do you know how far the debris from an exploding hard boiled egg can travel! If you don't want to try it at home I can tell you it is a long, long way up, down and across a reasonable sized kitchen.

Must go now and prepare tomorrow's list in Sarah's Big Orange Memory Book.

Sarah xx :wink:

Hi Sarah and all.....ohhh i have done that and wear the badge :lol: i heard this big bang....but it was too late...as you say an exploding hard boiled egg...2 to be exact....goes a long way!!......at the time i could not see the funny side....i can now :lol::lol: Love Tinaxx

Hi

Thanks all youve put my mind at rest I thought my memory would get better at least thats what the neuro said but I think its getting worse. The strange thing is I can remember long numbers such as bank account, telephone numbers, addresses, passwords etc., yet ask me what I did yesterday and I haven't a clue. This tablet business however is serious so I have asked my wife to take over and remind me, trouble is I can't remember her name!!!! :lol::lol:

Cheers

John

Hi John

Yes I have a problem with my short term memory too. I sometimes think that when I worry about it, it is even worse. I also used to have a good memory for things that happened before my SAH and now a lot of things are a bit fuzzy. I feel a i bit like beore my SAH I was driving on the left hand side of the road and now it's as if I've suddenly in France or somewhere driving on the other side as I have to keep so focused and concentrate on what I'm doing.

Best wishes

Anne

Hi All

Have you seen Rainman with Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise? Well, for those who have I call Fiona Fifi Babitt (after the Tom Cruise character Charlie Babitt) because if someone tells me to remember something important I am fixated on it to the exclusion of everything else so I feel just like the Dustin Hoffman character who repeats frequently "Charlie Babitt says ....." or "OK Charlie Babit" etc. etc. and walks around muttering whatever it is he's fixated on. Definitely have lots of Charlie Babitt moments!

Sarah xx

Guest ElaineW

That made me laugh about the egg - a jacket potato also makes a nice mess too in a microwave? Wear glasses and you can't see out after!!!!!!!!

Elaine

Guest troopersway

Walking into rooms and spend 5 minutes recapping what I came in for!! Thats ME! ONly trouble is when I tell friends what is happening they all say that it is my age!!! 38! Not sure it is and it never happened before SAH, we all know what has changed but others see us as "normal"!

I find I click with my tongue until I remember what I need to do or say, this clicking noise is like a counting mechanism that I just started doing when my speech would freeze, do any others have any cocgenative mechansims to recall?

Regards all

Nikki