My flight adventure

I have never flown since having a Subarachnoid Haemorrhage before that we’d been abroad & I can’t say I enjoyed flying  I didn’t, then last year we got invited to my cousin Craig and Cecilia wedding in Alicante, Spain they were flying from Australia and I thought well technically although it’s a 3hours flight for us we ARE nearer, others are flying from Aussie.

I had no idea how I was going to be on the flight ‘head-wise’ would there be a problem Ronnie found out how to come back via car and train it would take 3days didn’t fancy that so I’d give flying a go.

Few weeks before going I found out via Behind the gray thanks to Daffodil :thumbsup: about Airport Assistance not just wheelchair but you can ask for a Lanyard for around your neck or a button/pin and the airport staff know when seeing it that you have a hidden disability (yay! That’s for me)

Now I can only speak about Edinburgh but trying to get them on the phone ‘nightmare’ so Emailed them asked about it told them I didn’t require a wheelchair but did have a hidden disability I also walked with a crutch, so could I pick up a lanyard when I got to the airport gave date and time also flight number. 

The reply was:

Thanks for contacting us, I am delighted to see you are travelling with us in June, With regards to your query, if you only need to ensure your crutch is with you on your flight I am happy to advise you that no arrangements are needed. However, if you require any assistance, please contact our special assistant team

Did I ask about the crutch, NO ,did we try again to contact their special assistant team, YES but with no luck.

Anyway Edinburgh Airport was a bit of a disaster (cattle market springs to mind) going through security but didn’t let it worry me too much I never got time to tell them about my shunt or replacement elbow joint just got put through the full body scanner and have to say head did react to that a bit (maybe it was just because I was thinking about it) we went for something to eat and have to say felt better.

At the gate man asked if there was people with young children or elderly Ronnie’s hand shot up he went to speak to the man and we were whisked right through and first on the plane may as well get a perk somewhere.

On the flight out I was at the window, and there was a problem in France so pilot kept having to change direction at first my tube didn’t like it and I thought OMG! What the hell have I done but that only lasted a few minutes and it was fine.

At Alicante airport on the way home we were there early just how it worked out not intentional but they couldn’t have been nicer got asked on seeing crutch did I require assistance – at security it was only a hand/wand scan so that was fine.  But I did point to my elbow saying replacement joint didn’t try to explain about shunt and tube  in head (should have asked Cecelia Spanish for those two words replacement joint, shunt) if I had to Android translator God bless Android all I can say.

On the way back sat in the middle seat let Ronnie get the window seat and put the sea-bands on my wrist they are for bad travellers it was much better.

Back at Edinburgh Passport security the electronic one girl was firing out instructions on how to place your passport on the scan, (ok not done this) Ronnie tried to show me she didn’t like it so I asked her again to explain she told me so quickly so I explained why I was slow, she didn’t slow down however Ronnie was holding up his (he’d gone through by now) and showing me, now why couldn’t she have done that.

So I conquered my fear faced it head on took on the challenge.

And got to the wedding it was amazing not like a wedding I’d been to well church/chapel, meal after but at night we went to a tapas bar at the marina sunset glisting on the water huge boats all stunning, met up with Craig and Cecelia (bride & groom) on the Sat for dinner, went sightseeing on the Sunday with them then on the Monday met up with them at night yep not your typical sort of thing.

All in all had the most amazing time, and experiences at the airport they happen.

On the family front we were the only two from my family (Craig Dad’s side) all the rest from Elma’s (his Mum’s side) it was so nice to spend time with family that actually want to spend time with me, the last few years have been very trying to say the least apart from visiting my Uncle Bud & Auntie Lynn in their home and now the care home they are in this was the first time in well over 2years that I have spent time with any family and it was lovely to feel loved and wanted.

IMG_1896 (2).JPG

What a lovely photo. So pleased it all turned out fine in the end with the flight and that you enjoyed the wedding and spending time with your relatives.

You've done it now, there will be no stopping you flying to other destinations.

So pleased you enjoyed it, well done.

Louise, Well Done You!!! 

Thank you for sharing your experiences and feelings, Like you I didn’t enjoy flying before sah but have always said since sah that I need to conquer my fears and get on a plane again.We used to go to Nerja in Spain  every September.Ive just applied for a new passport (change of name to married name).so that’s the easy part done!! Just need to find  my confidence and courage!!Thank you again for sharing, You are a courageous lady ?

Jan xx

Ps, forgot to say. . . . . . Beautiful photo  xx

Lovely photo Louise,

So pleased all went well for you and you managed to spend some time with family member's, the last few lines of your post made me cry.

I know it's not the same as blood family but you are very much loved by all of us at BTG.

Love

Michelle. Xx

Hello Louise

Also many thanks for sharing your overseas wedding experience.

Well done, and so glad you had such a wonderful time with friends and family.

As SM says, I hope this will be the start of a new chapter for you and Ronnie as you both plan your next trip abroad.

Lovely photo of you and Ronnie.  Ask Ronnie if it as rather warm in the kilt. I know that in our much milder climate, a day spent in the kilt involving evening dancing can get rather heated.

You did great.

Subs :thumbsup:

Louise, so pleased all went well & you had a special time with your family, well done you :)

I love the picture of you both, looking fabulous :) 

Thank you for sharing, it will help many.

Love Tina xx  

Thanks guys that all means a lot to me...

SM, well you never know maybe.

Jan, I wouldn't have had it not been for the wedding yes confidence try maybe a short flight in UK it is all confidence but I did it anyone can, and my original fear wasn't there.

Michelle, Thank-you x

Subs, yes very warm in the kilt, however at night it was in a Tapas bar at the marina breeze blowing kept us all cool.

At the meal in the restraint different story there was 4 federal police officers and a high court federal judge and my husband stood by the fan to cool down. :roll: with glass behind him acting as a mirror & yes he's a 'true scot' 

Sami & Tina thank-you so much - it was very difficult lots of convincing myself & I do hope it helps others...

Well done Louise! I know how much courage it would have taken!

And a big thank you for taking the time to write an honest account of your travelling/flying adventure! ... but so glad that you've shared it and that it's helped re-connect with family members too!

Proud of you .... ? xx

Archived