Nine years this week on the 9th November

johntaras

Congrats Johntaras on 9 years. Your post gives those of us who are way earlier in our recovery hope.  Working 3 days a week is awesome, never say only.  You are doing it, you survived .  Best wishes for 90 more.

Best wishes

Jean

Hiya John,

I was 9 years SAH/Shunt in 2018 as I had mine in 2009  is that correct? as maths have taken a nose dive I blame my shunt but it woke me up xxx

What I put my Family through makes me feel guilty. Well a little lol, but now they are treating me as normal so they know I am getting there !! Darn my acting needs a brush up. 

Good to see names I remember, must be getting my short term memory back ha ha  xx 

Well done John and keep in there XX 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good wishes, the site kept me sane in the early days. Loads of good advice. For someone who had never heard of a subarachnoid haemorrhage before getting one it was comforting to know it could happen to anyone.

To everyone who is in their first year keep your spirits up there is a future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johntaras

I had a  SAH  four years ago on November 17th. It has taken me most of the four years to accept what happened and to come  to  terms with it.

I am 61 years old I still work 3 days  a week and still enjoy my job( I work with  autistic  youngsters)

Happy anniversary 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Paul and John!

I am 8 years out and now 63, and you are right, there is life after SAH.  Just make adjustments to what you did before. Change the way you do things, sometimes it will take a little longer and we each have our personal journey but we get there in the end - well done lads! I took early retirement and I wouldn't go back to work if they paid me - I love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi johntaras

I am 2 years out November 2018  I am also 61 years old,  I still get very tired and have anxiety  and get depressed and nervous with every strange feeling in my head. I also work but am able some weeks to work every day. I took an FMLA so when I dont feel good I just get up and leave. I changed my hours so I am done at 3 PM.  I am very happy you are doing so well, I am so excited to hear how other people are doing. Please dont stop telling us how you are doing.

Congratulations on doing so well

Trish1013

Hello Macca,

Good For you!!! I am 2 years out November 4th 2018 I am 61 Years old I work 5 days a week when I can, it is getting hard.

I am tired all the time. I would like to retire next year.  I took an FMLA so when I don,t feel good I just get up and leave.

Yes there is life after SAH, Tired and Anxiety and depressed but I am blessed to be here.

I am very happy you are doing so well Macca

Trish1013

Winb143

Hello Winb143 I have had my 2 years November 2018 I also have a short term memory I can plug my phone in to charge walk away and go into a panic because  I can't find it lol.  My question is do you still get extremely tired and dizzy at times any feeling strange in my head i panic does anybody feel that way, or how about when you get a cold does in feel funny,

I wish you the best, Keep the stories coming I enjoy reading how every one is feeling.

My short term memory Trish is sooo bad hubby goes.."Yes Win you told me 4 times"  So I make a sarcastic remark back at him. 

I say "well I know what your memory is like " and he huffs at me lol 

If I rush to loo in middle of night I get the giddy's  so sit there for a while then skidaddle off to loo ...Too much info for you lol xx

For 3/4 years I got itchy head and felt like I had creepy crawlies, so bathed head in warm salt water to keep scalp clean !! My own idea as my Mum when alive swore by salt water bathing (She just swore really Lol) xxxx 

Hope you feel better Trish and all goes well xxxx I sing it seems to help me shame for my family though xxxx

Trish,

I go to bed sometimes in afternoon as so tired. Went shopping today and plum tuckered out as they say in Cowboy movies ha ha x

Takes a few years to get over what happened but each year look back and surprise yourself.  I was told I would never walk again up to 400 yards plus  before I go bliming backs aching.  

Keep happy and sing songs when up to it is my answer to all what ails us.  Good luck on recovery xxxx

Hope to see you in Green room when you feel a bit better and not so tired xx  just general chit chat xxx but make sure you get rest when body tells you to  xxxx

Take care xxxxx

• 4 months later...

Well it's my 9th anniversary in 4 weeks time. Doesn't time fly when it means nothing anymore?

How much has changed for me?

Lots and lots. I've had a rollercoaster ride of a recovery. It used to be more downs than ups.

But now? Wow! What a huge difference it's made. Although I'm still struggling with so much I've adapted, I've overcome and I've improvised too.

It's been really difficult at times, too much on the odd occasion. Even now, it hurts to know I'll never be the man I once was!

The new me has had several reincarnations, I've scrapped and reborn myself over and over again.

This time it's much more stable, I have many more new friends in my life.

All are very caring and loving. I lost many due to this condition but it's their loss not mine.

With their rejection I found a new path each and every time. So I got better and better.

My recovery has been fraught with dangers, concerns ultimately I now know I still have a long way to go.

I've been scared, I've cried, laughed, worst of all I quit at one point. But now I love too. This has helped me so much.

Something I never thought I'd ever find love again or a loving partner, that is understanding, warm, kind, considerate, loving but most of all a guiding spirit.

I'm not out of the woods yet, lots of journeys to take and conquer.

I've made mistakes, I'll continue to make mistakes, I will learn from them, gain knowledge from them.

Best of all, 9 years on, guess what? I'm happy, I smile, I do much more today than I ever felt possible, In the beginning, I couldn't even brush my teeth.

Now I can make extravagant meals, hold conversations, cope well, not as well as most, but I'm getting there very slowly.

I'm a crazy old Coot and my friends love me for it, the customers love me as do their kids. Gosh even I love me too.

I still cry a lot when I fail, I hide my failures, but most see me struggling and help me up to my feet again.

Best of all I've learnt to waffle, I talk too much I write too much, thank you all for being my friends and reading my anniversary post.

Love Michael 

Xx

Ps. If I can do it we can all do it, practice takes time, time is in abundance, make the most of it, you never know what's around the corner...

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Mike, you sound very positive.  A lot of the things you describe are what is often considered 'normal.'  Maybe it's just you have a heightened awareness of them now because of what happened to you and how you recovered from it.  So well done for that. 

Just get on and keep on enjoying things, bearing in mind that some things are just different to what you may have done before, not better or worse, just different.

Change happens to all of us, and at different rates, it's how you deal with it that counts!  It sounds like you are doing just great! Good man!.

Thanks for your thoughts Macca, life is hard for us, reading the stories in the Green room just show how different and similar we all are. 

The struggles, the journeys, most of all the acceptance of being as we are

Learning how to be stronger, to cope better and sharing our journeys with each other so the next reader can see theres a future and all isn't lost.

Each of us has to find a way, but seeing that others have walked your path before will help in the long run.

After all life has a way of giving us hope a future best of all a reason to walk the new path....

Macca, all.

My journey started with the help from my daughter Cookie, then picked up by Elaine. 

Elaine has taught me how to love, how to remember I'm a man, different but still a man.

Supportive, loving, caring and so giving. Elaine often asks why do I look at her with so much love in my eyes, I tell her why, I get the comment 'you're so soppy it's so cute' she says. 

I say no, 'thank you for giving  me this experience'.

Then I smile as she looks at me quizzically? But hey life is beautiful with her in my life, that's my reason for me to do well. As well as for myself too! 

In the end the better I feel the less I stress about my condition.... so much so I'll often forget that I'm really ill. 

One word to explain my life today is Heaven....

Archived