viruses and colds

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone noticed that colds and flu tire you out a lot more since your SAH? I'm about 13 months since my SAH and was doing ok last autumn but in December had a nasty cold/virus and I am still feeling very tired and out of sorts. It's my first "lurgy" since the SAH and seems to have affected me a lot more than normal.

Best

Anne

H i there

Yes I pick things up more now than before and it takes ages to shift them too. I've just had a bad viral infection now the cold seems to be back again.....

Just looking forward to the first sign of spring......

take care keep cosy

Louise.x

Hi Anne :D

So far i have not caught the lurgy even though all my family have....but then i never did before....so hope it stays the same...hope you feel better xx

Hi Louise, i agree with you ...roll on spring!!! Hope you feel better xx

Hi Scott, I asked my GP about the flu jab he said i did not need one...lets hope he is right! Hope you feel better xx

I get offered the flu jab each year, since the SAH. I was told by my GP that it's because our immune system is lower after a SAH.

Anne, I definetly seem to suffer a lot more now, when I pick up a cold virus......may be it's because the fatigue is always lurking around the corner....

Scott, hope that you get over the "man flu" very soon...... :wink:

Louise, sorry to hear that you've been poorly too.....

Get well soon all.....xx

Again complete lack of consistency about what is or isn't needed post SAH. From personal experience I would recommend anyone who has had their immune system take a battering (as in a sudden period of ill health!) argue with their GP to get given the flu jab.

Scott

Hi Anne,

I had the cold late last year and it felt terrible, it certainly took longer and it was a lot worse than before the SAH.

I was offered the flu jab but I forgot to go.

I would really take care, I normally keep away from people who are not well I know it's difficult but I do find I pick up things quickly.

Someone suggested to me from a health food shop that I should take some supplements for the immune system but I felt apphrensive about it, as I don't know if taking any supplements are good for people who have had a SAH. I keep meaning to ask the Doctor about it but I always forget to ask him. :roll:

Myra xx

Scott, I totally agree with you and it always seems to be a lack of consistency with the care that we're offered post SAH.... I too, would advise anybody that's had a SAH to ask their Doc about having the yearly flu jab ..... apart from having a bit of a sore arm afterwards, I haven't suffered anything else....

Myra, I take a multi-vit each day with iron and that seems to suit my own personal needs..... but be careful with what you take and make sure that anything you take, doesn't thin the blood if you've had a bleed.... always check over the counter meds/herbal out and ask your Doc or Pharmacist if in any doubt and tell them that you've had a SAH.

I have had/still getting over the lurgy x x x its affecting me in many ways x x feeling really tired is one x x

I keep getting neck ache alot lately also x x

I spoke to my gp last time I was there and she said why would my immune system be lower than anyone else she said I didnt need the flu jab x x x

well I got the flu and yes it has really knocked me backwards alot and my confidence x x

its brought back them horrible feelings that i am going to have a bleed again x x

Hi

I have had numerous colds and infections since SAH that I have been put on an antibiotic for at least 3 months and it will then be reviewed because you build up a resistance to them. My main problem is my wife suffers with asthma and has a bad chest and I infect her and vice versa. I regularly have a flu injection and although there are certain illnesses for which the flu jab is authorised I think your doctor can prescribe if he thinks its necessary. I am definitely more susceptible since my SAH.

Cheers

John

I DID HAVE TROUBLE CATCHING WHAT WENT AROUND BUT NOT ANY MORE.

I HAVEN'T CAUGHT ANY THING FOR OVER A YEAR AND A HALF PLEASE READ THE BOOK I SUGESTED IT ITS ALL ABOUT KNOWLEDGE AND IT IS IN THE BOOK I HATE HEARING HOW ILL EVERYONE IS ALL THE TIME IT MAKES ME FEEL BAD.

GET WELL SOON LOVE AND HUGS TO ALL EVELYN

Hello, i was told that you shouldhave a flu jab and i had mine done in December i was told by my consultant that whatever i get lurgy wise or anything it would be far worst than before SAH and hes so right, colds, girlie problems etc it really takes it out of me

Love and hugs

Michelle

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey all

I'm totally the opposite now. I used to get at least 4 or five colds a year - since my SAH over two years ago (28months ago) - I've had three - one that knocked me for six and then two that I got over relatively quickly. How strange!! I do feel more tired when I have them tho compared to before.

TTFN

Sami xxx

• 1 month later...

I can honestly say I haven't had a cold for years even before my SAH. I believe the secret is Vitamin C. I have taken a VitC and Zinc fizzy tab every day for years You can get them anywhere. Supermarket or chemists or health shops. The ones from Tesco are every bit as good as the popular brands. Give it a try it really works. I do get the odd chest infection though but usually a course of Antibiotics sort it out. Haven't had a flu jab though. Keep forgetting to ask and haven't had flu for years either (touch wood). lol

Mollie xxx

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone noticed that colds and flu tire you out a lot more since your SAH? I'm about 13 months since my SAH and was doing ok last autumn but in December had a nasty cold/virus and I am still feeling very tired and out of sorts. It's my first "lurgy" since the SAH and seems to have affected me a lot more than normal.

Best

Anne

Hi Anne - I was advised to have the flu jab the first winter after my SAH, but never offered one since. I do find that colds and bugs knock me for six nowadays, far more than previously. Thanks for posting - I thought it was just me! :oops:

Take care

Blondie