A bit about me - Kim

kim0811

Hi

I've been a member of BTG for a few months now but only posted for the first time a couple of days back. I probably need to introduce myself.

The start of my story goes back to 1998 when my Dad died. He had an SAH on 26 Feb 1998 and a second bleed on the 3 March 1998. Sadly he wasn't well enough to have a coiling, and he died on 4 March 1998.

My SAH was on 1 October 2004. It was my 21st wedding anniversary and I had the day off work. I have no memory of the day itself or for around a week or so afterwards. Apparently, I had a phone conversation with my sister around 9am and told her I was going to have a bath. My husband came in from work at 1pm and found me unconscious in the bathroom. I was just starting to come round and managed to say that I had pains in my head. Because of my family history he guessed I'd also had an SAH. I still have a large ugly burn scar on my left arm where I lay against the radiator. My aneurysm was coiled although it still has a stem or neck to it. I also have another smaller aneurysm. After 4 years, I'm still having checks at the hospital. I'm also on meds for raised blood pressure.

After 6 months I returned to work, but it was 15 months before I was full time again. I consider myself to be fully recovered with no effects, apart from a poor memory at times. That could be age though!!

In 2007, I took voluntary redundancy from my job as, after 28 years, I felt I needed to prove I could do something else. I moved from financial services to education and thoroughly enjoy what I'm doing now. I am now also a qualified Project Manager.

I look forward to contributing to this site.

Kim

Hi Kim :D

Thank you for sharing your story....so sorry to hear about your father. As Karen has said....it is great to hear how you have come along with your recovery.....well done to you...take care...look forward to hearing more from you.

Love Tina xx

HI KIM

THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY AND I AM GLAD YOU ARE RECOVERING SO WELL.

PLEASE STOP IN AND CHAT SOMETIME.

I AM SO SORRY YOU LOST YOUR DAD, I TOO LOST MINE SHORTLY BEFOR YOU DEC 29 97, BUT NOT TO SAH A HEART ATTACK TOOK MINE.

LOVE AND HUGS EVELYN

Hi Kim

Welcome to BTG and looking foward to chatting to you on here. Sorry to read about your Dad and then you, such an ordeal for, not only you, but your family to have to go through the same thing twice. Sounds like your recovery has been pretty complete and you've had such a successful post-SAH life which is great news.

It's a great site here and hope you enjoy meeting all these great people as much as I have, I've made some lifelong friends on here that I'd probably never have met if it hadn't been for BTG. Sorry guys!

Sarah x

Guest ElaineW

Hi Kim - I am a carer and often think about the hereditary side of things but have been told screening is not necessary. It sounds like you have done exceedingly well with only memory problems so all the very best to you and enjoy your life.

Elaine

Hi Kim

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry to hear you lost your dad to a SAH. I lost my mum in December 2001 to a SAH. She had a bad bleed and at first the local hospital was not going to do anything to treat her but then the RVH, Belfast agreed to take her and she had the coiling procedure done there. Sadly she had a second bleed soon after the procedure and did not survive.

When I had my SAH in November 2007, as soon as I came round from the bleed, I just knew I'd had a SAH, like my mum. For me I think it speeded things up as when the ambulance brought me into hospital the doctor didn't delay and immediately looked to confirm a SAH.

I'm pleased to hear you have made such a good recovery and look forward to hearing more from you on the site.

Warm wishes

Anne x