Upcoming operation/ coiling and stent procedure update

Hi again everyone 

As the date draws closer for my procedure, on Weds 11th August, I just wanted to thank everyone who posted about theirs and who has been supportive and helpful throughout.

I took great comfort in reading people’s posts before the op, and the natural anxiety and apprehension, but the relief to read the ‘hi everyone I’m back and recovering’ posts is something I’m holding on to and looking forward to being able to post myself soon!

I had the pre-op tests a couple of weeks ago. Then I have to go for COVID-19 swabs tomorrow, isolation at home until I go in for the op on Wednesday. Please keep me in your thoughts and send virtual positive vibes on the day!

xx 

• Like 4

Hi everyone thank you so much for your wishes! Just a quick message to say I will write more soon but the brilliant medical team successfully performed the recoiling and stent yesterday and I am currently waiting to go home! 

More details to follow in case it’s helpful but just wanted to let you know!  

I feel very positive and like a weight has lifted. 

Just need to recuperate and heal now.  

Thanks again for your support. 

• Like 7

Thank you all! I will write more if people are interested but as they went in via the wrist, radial artery, which is amazing, I am limiting my online clicking!  Looks to be healing nicely so far though. 🤞

The relief is unbelievable. Slight cough and sore throat from the anaesthetic tube I understand but that is getting better already. 

• Like 5

Hi again everyone,

Thank you for again for all your comments and wishes.

I am feeling stronger every day and I can echo other’s experiences when they say that the recoiling recovery is no way as bad as after the original bleed. I am tired as expected and some missing words but I know this time not to push myself unnecessarily.

Yes, I think I can agree that the worry was worse than the op! Although I was of course out for the op but it was nerve wracking  in the run up and on the table, especially before, when the risks were being explained! But I did have confidence in the amazing medical teams whose regular scans and ongoing monitoring made sure it was picked up on. 

So I now have extra coils and a stent flow diverter fitted by/in front of the neck of the aneurysm, in the artery/vessel. Apparently my aneurysm, despite being small, had a wide neck and was refilling with blood. I must admit I was too woozy to ask any questions when I came round and the next day, but I just have to wait until the MRI or consultant appointment in 6 months. I do know that the operation took longer than originally thought as the stent was a bit tricky to position but I didn’t ask any more about that as I was just relieved it was there!

I think the idea is that the stent eventually grows a skin(?) over the artery and closes the aneurysm from the blood, and in the meantime any blood that flows in is diverted away, but anyone who has any better understanding may be able to correct me. 

I do have to take blood thinners for 6 months and aspirin for life but I know everyone’s situation is different. I think it’s a small price to pay. I am amazed at what these skilled and brilliant special people can achieve, which is why I trusted them to do the procedure (despite the nerves and initial reluctance!). I was surprised and amazed when they said they were going through the radial artery in the wrist. I did have an angiogram through there once but didn’t imagine this could be done that way.

I hope this has been helpful or useful to read in some way, as I have found other posts on here. I haven’t googled anything or read too much as I believe the medics are the experts and sometimes reading too much can make me worry unnecessarily!

If anyone has any questions or wants to know more please just let me know and I’ll be happy to see if I can answer.

Thanks again for reading and for all the support and encouragement! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dawny it's amazing what they can do now isn't it? I've heard of angiograms through the wrist but not coiling or re-coiling.  My coiling was through the top of my right thigh through the femoral artery straight to my brain.  Suppose it would depend on where the anni is wouldn't it?  

Glad that your recovery is going well xx

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skippy said:

Dawny it's amazing what they can do now isn't it? I've heard of angiograms through the wrist but not coiling or re-coiling.  My coiling was through the top of my right thigh through the femoral artery straight to my brain.  Suppose it would depend on where the anni is wouldn't it?  

Glad that your recovery is going well xx

Thank you Sami, it really is!

My original coiling was through the femoral artery too so I couldn’t imagine that it could be done that way either. Mine was an anterior aneurysm (Anterior communicating artery, I believe).

So glad yours have been successfully done too. The relief is unbelievable. Thank you again for your wishes. xx

15 hours ago, Dawny said:

My original coiling was through the femoral artery too so I couldn’t imagine that it could be done that way either. Mine was an anterior aneurysm (Anterior communicating artery, I believe)

Mine was the post anterior communicating artery :-) 

• Like 1