Marmite ..... love it or hate it?

Since having my SAH and being B9 (folic acid) deficient, I have read up on the importance of Vitamin B on the nervous system and recently discovered the following article about Vitamin B3 or Niacin. Thankfully, I happen to love Marmite, where B3 or Niacin is abundant! :wink: Unfortunately, it always seems that most research is carried out on ischaemic stroke rather than haemorrhagic stroke or a SAH, but would imagine that the same principle applies, irrespective of having a clot or bleed ... in helping to form new nerve cells and blood vessels.

http://news.scotsman.com/health/Vitamin-in-Marmite-may-aid.6102380.jp

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100224183111.htm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was interesting read, I liked Marmite since I was little especially on toast.

I just wanted to share something about Marmite with you, when we came to London about 10 years ago my son was invited to go on a trip, he was offered a sandwich from his teacher, he thought it was some choclolate spread and took a big bite of the sandwich and was so shocked at what he was eating! he asked his teacher what it was and then she told him it was Marmite, he never heard of Marmite before let alone taste it, so now he is always careful if someone gives him a chocolate spread sandwich, he is one of those people who hate Marmite!

Angela, if you make a casserole, curry or chilli then stick a teaspoon of it in there ... don't tell him ... he won't notice! xx

It can also be found in the following foods .... beef, pork, chicken, eggs and milk.

Niacin is a water-soluble vitamin, which means you need it in your diet every day because it can't be stored in the body.

I'm definitely going to try Sami's cheese and Marmite toasty! ... It sounds great!

Janet and Paul, you definitely need to be converted! ....bless... :lol: ... but yes, would try the alternatives or try to hide the Marmite in sauces with chilli, curry, bolognese and gravy etc... I also love a Marmite drink, a heaped teaspoon with hot water .... :biggrin:

Karen- you are as bad as Simon. He doesn't have tea or coffee in the house just marmite drinks. I can't stand the stuff or even the smell! I won't go near Simon when he has had a drink of it. Think that is why he drinks it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I might try it in sauces although I must say I prefer Jan's alternatives!

Mmmmm, marmite! After my SAH I convinced Tink to try marmite, which he duly did, and absolutely hated it. My lovely Brendan is also not a fan.

My mum likes a little bit dotted about a piece of toast - to which mywonderful Nan would always say " Good grief woman, I want to taste it!!"

Hmm, hungry now....!

Hey all

Maybe we should set up another forum for trauma caused by talking about marmite :lol: yum yum yummity yum mmmmmmmaaaarrrrrmmmmmmiiiitttttteeeee. I think us marmite lovers should campaign Walkers to bring back marmite flavoured crisps too :crazy:

Sorry for all the nightmares -but that'll be the cheese not the marmite :wink:

no its not the cheese i love it but marmite yuck thats it im heading for the hills cause i know karen and sami wont find me orrible stuff just cause the brewers cant use it after making beer dosnt mean ive got to eat it ugggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! orrible

Hey all

While talking to my friends in Penzance on the phone last night, her nine year old daughter gave me another Marmite recipe - sounds yummy.

Make a marmite sandwich in the normal way, add a little tomato sauce. Then beat an egg in a bowl, dip the sandwich into the egg so that its covered and they fry. Or the other way - make the eggy bread and then add butter/margarine, marmite and tommy sauce - sounds deliciamondo :crazy: May well be testing this recipe during the week so will let you know what I think - unless someone tries it first and lets me know :lol:

Sorry Paul but it had to be done :shocked: