What to do for the one year anniversary?

Hello all! I hope that you are all feeling well! I am happy to report that my one year anniversary is coming up this Wednesday! I was wondering if anyone else took the time to celebrate or commemorate this event? I am planning to return to the place where it happened- I have not been back there since my SAH happened. Any ideas are gratefully accepted! :-D

On another note, for those of you who are recovering, it is really about the year mark when you start to feel slightly more "normal" (If that is ever truly possible.:crazy:) I am back at work, being a full time Dad, and completed an 111 mile charity bike ride this summer. I have bad stretches like everyone else, but it has reached a point where I am not so frustrated and saddened by lack o progress. Hang in there, be positive, the best is yet to come!

Noah

Edited by Noahinvt

Hi Noah, wow 111 mile bike ride? well done you!!

Thanks for the info on recovery, I am one of those who seems to have plateaued at the moment in moving forwards.

I have no particular plans for my anni but then it's not for another 8months but I will remmeber it in some way I'm sure.

Good luck with your celelbrations

Hi Noah :) Congratulations for tomorrow :biggrin: I went out with all my family for a lovely meal to celebrate life and to thank them for being there for me through all the good and bad times. I look on it as a day to celebrate :biggrin: enjoy whatever you decide, and well done on doing so well ! Keep the good work up !

Take care

Love Tina xx

Hi Noah

Well done on the bike ride - don't think I could do that now after four years!!!!

Congratulations for tomorrow - the first year is the hardest and normally the year when you start to come to terms with whats happened and realise that it isn't as bad as you thought it was going to be initially. It was definitely the turning point for me and I started to feel "normal" again.

As for celebrating, yes I do - every year. Like Janet (and its her fault :lol:) hubby buys me a present and it's almost like a second birthday - after all it was my second chance at life.

Whatever you decide to do, try to mark the occasion in some way. It helped it become less daunting for me. This year was the first year I wasn't with my hubby on the anni of my anni and I was really quite emotional. He was lovely about it tho (I was on holiday and he was at home) and talked me through the tough bits the night before.

Take care and have a lovely lovely day.

Hi Noah,

How did you do on Wednesday then? Hope you have decided it was a good thing. I was like Ern, scared to think about it. That said, I'm now thinking, perhaps I should make it a day of celebration. Lets face it.. you never know the minute, .. and we got through that minute. Let's just be glad about that, :-Dfor the next fifty years:-D. xxx

Hi Noah

Congratulations on your first anniversary and I hope you had a good and positive day.

My SAH happened outside of a restaurant on 14 February as we were about to celebrate my birthday, which was the previous day. On my first anniversary I was due to have an angiogram, so was in no fit state to celebrate at all, so it's always going to be mixed feeling at everybirthday. I still can't go into Melrose (the next town to ours) for a meal after dark, I get too stressed because the memories keep coming back, so well done to you if you did visit to where it happened, I'm sure you will have laid some ghosts to rest. I think it's a lovely idea to celebrate and mark it with a gift.

Congratulations Noah!!! Here's to life :biggrin: 111 mile bike ride - WOW. Most excellent. I can't imagine:crazy: Please share how you celebrated. Hope it went well for you.

I'm at 9 mo. post SAH, but had to face my demons fairly early on. Mine happened at work and it was strange and scary going back. I collapsed in the laundry area and was hanging on to a wash tub. The tub got pulled away from the wall and still has not been fixed back to the wall yet! This bothers me at times, as it's a constant reminder - but getting through it!

Hope all continues to go well for you.

Carolyn

Hi

I'm now 6 years post SAH. My SAH happened on my 21st wedding anniversary so we have a double celebration but the day is tinged with a bit of sadness and concern. Mine occurred in the bathroom at home when I was either about to get in the bath, was in the bath or had just got out of the bath (who knows). Although I have no memory whatsoever of the day or the following 10 days, I did have my bathroom redecorated shortly afterwards ripping out the old suite and off with the old tiles. I have a large burn scar on my left arm where I lay unconscious against the radiator for a long time so the radiator went in the bin too replaced with a towel rail.

Kim

XX

• 3 months later...
I will be coming up for my second annivesary this month :) I wish I had found this board earlier! It is lovely reading about you all, I've been feeling like an alien for two years!

welcome to the site ask plenty of questions everyone is brill and will answer the best and somethimes crazy ways

Well my anni-versary is coming up soon - 10th Feb is when it happened. 13th Feb is my birthday and I'm having a party on Sat 12th (anniversary of the op actually!) to celebrate that 50th that I missed last year, and to celebrate one year of being a new woman :D You might have seen the invite I prepared on my blog.

I think it's important to mark the occasion, although I prob wouldn't have if I hadn't had the excuse that my birthday was cancelled last year! As for revisiting the spot where it happened, well that was on my sofa in my front room.... and I burst into tears when I got home from hospital 6 weeks later and sat in the same spot. It all came rushing back to me then. Now of course, I never think of it.

Onwards and upwards, everyone!