Question About Your Cerebral Angiogram Procedure

When I had my test done I was pretty sure the doctor said they were going to insert a catheter into my right groin AND my left groin. However, they only did the right side.

Did any of you have it done on both sides ?

The reason I am asking is because I wanted to find out if I had a "4 vessel study" but it sounds like maybe I didnt.

I think thye only do it on hte left if they want to look at your heart. I had mine done on the right & they def looked at all 4 stems of the brain from there. She counted them off as she inserted the dye & I know they recheckd my left side after my review appointment

The right side is usually used for any type of angiogram but if, for some reason they can't use the right side they will use the left. If you noticed all the angiogram suites are set out to use the right hand side.

This is from someone who has had both cardio and brain angiograms, 4 in total.

What they may have said is if they can't use the right for some reason they would then use the left.

Copied from duplicate thread, no wonder I couldn't find the original posts.

I had my initial cerebral angiogram to determine where the bleed was coming from, on the right hand side of my groin and the coiling a couple of days later, through the left hand side, as would imagine that they wouldn't want to use the same access point with such a short time between the two procedures. As far as I'm aware, they can use either side to access the brain, as the catheter still has to go through the neck and then into the brain, either right hand side or left hand side of the brain, depending on the location of the aneurysm etc.

I have had both of my coilings and a follow up angiogram on the right side.

I am going for a follow up angiogram on Thurs for my second coiling and have been told to tell the neuro radiologist that they have to do it on the left hand side this time. I suspect that the right hand side must have had all it can take. Since the last angiogram 12 months ago I have had a dull ache in the right side of my groin.

I think Karen is right, my angio was done in the right groin & I had a massive bruise on my tight for about 6 weeks afterwards so if I'd chosen to be coiled they would have had to go in through the left. Because of the bruising/bleeding from the angio site I cose to be clipped as you don't need 6monthly angio's afterwards

Hi Surfer,

Have you tried joining and posting on the Brain and Spine Foundation Forum? http://www.brainandspine.org.uk/applications/discussion/

They have Neuroscience Nurses on their site and they may be able to answer your question.

Most peoples experiences on here, will be different, as some of the replies that you've had are from people that have had an aneurysm clipped, so they would have probably only initially experienced one angiogram, where as others that have been coiled, would have had the same process a second time, with their coiling.

Hope that you manage to get the answer and peace of mind that you're looking for. xx

Hi

I had my first angio through my right side on the Monday, the coiling procedure on the Wednesday, again through my right side and this operation took 8 hours. My 12 month angio was also done through my right side. During the follow up angio he was talking me through what he was checking, there were 6 screens. He also checked my heart and the vessells around it.

Maybe you should contact your surgeon's secretary and she might be able to give you an answer. Take care.

Hi there

I've only had one angio and that was at the same time as coiling as I was out for the count - as far as I'm aware they went in the right side at the top of my leg as there are no other scars suggesting they went in anywhere else.