KelBel - My 1st Angiogram follow-up

My 1st follow-up angiogram went okay yesterday.

My sister-in-law got me to the hospital for 7:15am and we waited around for a bit, as they don’t start on the ward until 7:30 anyway.

My BP was sky high again... 178/103... clearly anxious!

I went down to the vascular unit at 9:30am, and that was when my sister-in-law left. I recognised the nurses from last year, and reminded them about my projectile vomiting by the lifts after I came round from my coiling op... :oops: They remembered me well then... :lol:

It was done under local anaesthetic, despite being told last Monday that it would be under General! They did end up injecting about 5 lots of anaesthetic in the end as it kept hurting when they tried to go in... it then took only about 30 minutes to get the pictures they needed for my album ( ;) ) then 10 minutes leaning on the groin area (which wasn’t that uncomfortable actually) so they could seal the puncture site and it was all done. I could go and get a cuppa then! :-)

I did start to get vivid migraine aura for about 30 minutes afterwards and started getting a headache too. I was given a paracetamol drip which helped and they turned off the lights in the vascular waiting area, whilst I was waiting to go back up to the ward. I got my cup of tea then too, by straw, but it was good to get a cuppa...

I felt so tired afterwards, and did sleep for a few hours as I had to lay flat for 6 hours... I did get a tramadol too for the headache.

It was a huge relief to finally sit up and then get myself dressed. I was home by 7:40pm.

Just gotta wait a couple of weeks for a letter from one of the consultants confirming their findings.

Kel x

Glad it's over for you Kel and I hope the results are good. I always shudder at the thought of an angio, probably coz mine revealed I needed more coiling:roll:.

I know you are getting towards your first annie-versary, so I wish you all the best for that and hope you continue to do well in the coming year.

Sarah

Thanks everyone. x

I did forget to add that whilst the lady who done the procedure was leaning on my groin I asked to see the pic of my annie on the screen... i asked if it looked okay to her and she said it does but they need to check all angles taken against last years pics.

I also asked if it is a medium-sized berry aneurysm but was told that it is a medium to large saccular aneurysm.

I could see the white lines of the coils showing on the image, like a scribbled fluffy cloud within a mass of black lines (arteries). Interesting stuff... ;)

Kel x

Hi Kel glad everything went well for you at your angio, i took Merrill for one in november and it is an awfull day just the waiting around on top of the procedure, but it's over now and I'm sure the results will be fine , Merrill now has'nt got to go back for 3,1/2 years . Best wishes Rod

Thanks everyone! :D

Maggie - it really wasn't as bad as I had feared...I was in such a state about it beforehand, hence the rather elevated blood pressure! But they were so lovely, and were chatting to me before, during and after the procedure, and told me to ask any questions at any time (other than during the procedure when told I could not move or swallow whilst they got the right pics!). It was okay, and quite interesting actually, especially when I asked them to turn the screen round so I could see the arteries in my brain and the offending aneurysm! ;)

Hopefully only another week to wait for my follow-up letter...

Kel x

'I could see the arteries in my brain and the offending aneurysm!'

Wow Kel that must have been a very interesting experience but still think you have been brave,I would v'e been a mess before hand. But thanks for putting my mind at rest its good to know that it wasn't as terrifying an ordeal as thought:-D

• 3 weeks later...