Hi there

Warm welcome to the site......

I know you might not believe it your not alone, but it seems like everyone goes through this, it gets easier but can I suggest that you speak with your GP about it, if its getting to you.....

You've found the right place here tho.....

hope to hear more from you

take care

Hello Brenda and a warm welcome to the site. I'm sorry you have had the misfortune to suffer a sah. I am also 48 (sah at 46) and have lost count of the times I have broken down in tears since then, whereas I rarely, if ever, did so before I had the sah. I am still not sure of the reason behind it, but certainly try not to worry as it is quite a common after effect and should become less over time.

Sarah

Hi Brenda

Welcome to BTG. I had my SAH Feb 2009, I was 49. I went through this also, is was about 7 months post SAH when I would get very teary. I think it was then I realised the enormity of what I'd been through and that I'd survived it. But it did ease off over the following months. But as Louise said, you should mention it to your doctor if it's getting you down.

Take care.

I had an anni but without the bleed & was clipped on 6th June 2010 although the anni popped up in April. I found myself very tearful in the months after the operation, I thought I was coping ok but when asked how I was coping emotionally I frankly butrst into tears over my friend! I found that any sympathy would make it worse but now I cry at everything sad, X factor, adverts for childrens charities, today it was the click sargeant film on This Morning!

I think it's perfectly normal after an SAH to find problems emotionally but if it's getting you donw or happens too often you should seek help via your GP or your neuro nurse & maybe Headway could offer you some support too.

Hi Brenda

You do definitely are not going mad, but I do know exactly what you mean. For weeks after my SAH in 2006 I cried at the drop of a hat and couldn't control my emotions at all. Its perfectly normal and definitely gets better - it's linked to post traumatic stress, so pleae don't feel alone.

I used to cry all the time but it does get easier in time. Jess.xxx

Ps it was my kids that stopped me in the end I thought "well I want them to remember me as a happy person" and thats what I've tred to be ever since.

Hi,

Welcome to BTG.

I am 12 months into my SAH. I recall the 6 month stage marking a difficult time for me emotionally.

At the six month stage, I realised that I was not exactly the same as before and I started the process of grieving for my old life. The medical profession consider this process healthy, because you are developing insight into your new life and it allows you to move on and gradually come to terms with what's happened.

It is not possible for anyone to accept new circumstances, especially ones which were forced upon us, immediately and happily. You have to work it through and unfortunately it takes months.

An added problem is that the tool we use to process our emotions is our brain - and that's the very thing that's injured! We would not wonder why we can not put pressure on a broken ankle, we would just accept it, but we wonder why we're upset post SAH. The truth is, we are dealing with a massively stressful event and the very tool we use in such events is the brain, (and it's a little broken!) No wonder we're struggling!

It helps to be easy on yourself and to realise that it is healthy to be tearful. The low mood is serving you a purpose in getting the upset out, but I accept it feels rotten.

Your brain is healing and the low moods you're experiencing is proof of that, even though you probably think you're moving backwards. You're actually moving forward and even though you may not realise it, you are commencing the process of coming to terms with the event.

Think of it like an emotional washing machine. The tears will give you clean linen one day!

It does get better.

Take care and use this site often.

Lynne xx

Welcome to the site. I had my SAH on 15th June 2010 and im 34. I too cry alot , but my Dr sent me to counselling which has helped loads. It is such a big thing that has happenened and a big change that the counseler told me that i am going through a griefing period which would explain the crying !! Hope the rest of your recovery is going well :-D

Take care Rhiann xxx

Hi, Mine was on June 14th so am a few days behind you and I am feeling the same - I am so emotional - cry at the drop of a hat and if anyone asks how i am i fill up. Most of the time i tell everyone i'm doing great (which i am physically) but don't want to go into the emotional side as don't think they'll understand and i'm not used to talking about my feelings. It helps knowing that this is normal and i would have been lost without this site.

Hi Brenda

As everyone is saying, you're definitely not alone!

I cried a river for months after my SAH, which was a year ago this Saturday!...

It does get easier, and as others have said it does help to get some counselling. Once I started counselling and the counsellor told me I was suffering Post Traumatic Stress and told me it was okay to feel the way I was feeling, I felt I could then start to recover because I knew what was wrong.

Good luck with your continued recovery

Take care

Kel x

I notice that none of the men folk have replied to this so let me be the first.

I am a lump of a bloke and was never in any way emotional. Since my SAH I have shed more than a few tears, especially when I get frustrated at not being able to do the things I used to or when I have to explain what happened.

I really hope this gets better.

Hi Brenda

I was a bit of a crier before my SAH and I think even more so since then but it has got better. However about a month ago I had an enormous bout of crying at work (I'm 3 years post SAH). I think crying is probably very good for us though I wish it were a bit more socially acceptable! Before my SAH if I felt like crying I would be able to hold off a bit but now I can't seem to.

Warm wishes

Anne

Next wednesday im six months post SAH ! can't believe its been six months, can't believe i've felt sooo crappy for six months, but things are improving at last :-D

How are you recovering? Do you suffer with fagtiue, headaches, or anything else as we are close in time scales? Hope things are going well for you :wink:

Rhiann x

Hi, Rhiann, Congrats on the six months!! No, I haven't had any headaches or fatigue. .I've had double vision, and my meds make me feel a little "spcacey," so I'll be glad to get off those. Doc says at the one year point. These melt downs are a drag though. Now I'm told I need to do an arterialgram, which kind of scares me. I'm scheduled for 1/3/11, but haven't decided whether I'll chicken out or nto. How are you doing?

-Brenda