MRA Scan

Hello all,

so i went to liverpool neurology centre today for a appointment to talk about my family history of SAHs.

And the doctor has decided to put me in for a MRA scan in 3 weeksish time. What happens? How long or what do i have to do? I didnt ask the doctor stupidly when i saw him and my bf who couldnt come with me has all these questions and now he has had me thinking.

Just wish my mum was referred there and she might still be here.

You should be fine taking the test. All you do is lay there for about 20-30 minutes and try not to move.

I am a claustrophobic person but I didnt have problems being in the machine. It helps alot knowing that anytime you want to get out you can.

About halfway through the test they will inject the contrast dye and the feeling is pretty slight. Nothing to worry about at all.

The think the MRI/MRA is an easy test to take and will give you a great picture of any problems.

Good luck !!

Edited by Skippy
removal of quote - not needed

Hi Amelia

You may not have a dye injected - there is another thread somewhere discussing this in depth - not all UK hospitals use dye to when using an MRA - none of my post SAH scans used dye. So it may be a case of laying on a bed, putting headphones on and listening to some music whilst in the "tube" and being scanned - totally painless but maybe a little close if you are claustrophobic. You'll be fine - I loved having mine.

Hi Amelia,

Contrast dye is not always needed with a MRA .... I've had all of mine, without the dye. Would advise giving the scanner department a ring to ask the questions once your appointment has come in .... as to how long you will actually be in the scanner etc as it probably varies with each individual case .... would well imagine that they're well used to it and I've always found the staff very helpful and anything that you need to do, should be stated on your appointment letter.

Wishing you the very best of luck! :-D xx

Hi Amelia,

You should be fine with this. They will talk you through it beforehand. I didn't have any dye with mine, but I do remember it being rather noisy - clanking when it took the photos, but the ear phones they give you will help a bit. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Take care,

Sarah

I had MRI done on Friday which is similar and you just have to lie there very still. I was in there for about 20-25 mins and it was fine just very noisy I just jumped a few times!!!!! To be honest I kept my eyes shut the whole time but it was totally painless. Hope yours goes ok

Vicky xx

Hiya,

Had an MRI on sunday, as it is just the brain they are looking at you don't go all the way into the tube. They put headphones on you as it is a bit noisy, and a kind of head set thingy with mirrors on so you can see the radiologist in their booth. You also have a button to press if you are uncomfortable, it lasts about twenty minutes. Nothing to worry about really, totally painless, just a bit boring lying still for that long, I have been known to nod off in them before now :)

Oh, no metal allowed, so no earrings or bra with wires in.

Hope this helps

Vivien

I had one before my anni was diagnosed, it was quite a long one of about 45 mins in the end. I wore the mask over my eyes as I'm claustraphobic & the ceiling of machine is only mm from your face so I couldn't see it. I found the pulsing of the machine aggravated my headache from the anni so it might be worth taking some painkillers beforehand if you are sensitive to noise. You can usually take a favourite cd to listen to though the machine is very loud!!

If you are very nervous then do tell them beforehand as they may be able to give you something to calm your nerves, or like with me just talk to me & tell me what was going on.

Good luck hon

...and BREATHE!! The unknown is scary, but lots of us here have had MRIs and can tell you it's totally painless if a little claustrophobic. I'm rather large, so it felt more snug around me than it would for a slimmer person. The first MRI I ever had (years ago - on my back only), I was asked to bring a CD in, which was great. This time I was told I could bring an MP3 player so I had my iPhone all ready, but in the end the machine they used didn't have that function. However, you do have headphones on so they can talk to you from the control room, and you have an alarm in your hand so you can ring if you are scared/want to ask them something etc. This time the machine had a mirror above my eyes and if angled correctly I could see the people in the control room, which was totally reassuring.

Like someone else said, you should get an appointment letter with some explanations on it. Also, mine came with a checklist asking if you had any metal in you, tattoos etc. I have a tatt on my foot and they said it "might" feel a little warm during the scan, but it didn't. My niece had an MRi and she has nipple piercings, and the nurse just waved a magnet in front of them and said "you're ok" lol :)

Try not to worry - I know that's easier said than done. Take care :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys :) its been great reading everyone's experiences and it has definitly calmed me down a lot.

When i booked the appointment the woman told me to bring my fave CD along so I am bringing Britney Spears's new album, Femme Fatale :D that should make me feel okay and will pass the time.

My scan is at half 5 today, the bf is coming with me and he is driving because i honestly can't be bothered driving to liverpool.

how long does the results take?

Hiya I have never had the dye injected with my MRI / MRA post coiling either,so it isn't always the case. I would check first to put your mind at rest!

I was told I could take a cd in with me which helps with the nois!.

I could also take someone in with me which helped me feel more comfortable whilst I was in the tube! I kept my eyes shut all the time and tried to relax. The time wet quickly! I wouldn't mind if I had one now!

Good luck ,( you won't need it)! Let us know how you feel after!

My results took around 10 days x

Okay so i had the test, it was fine :) all that worry for nothing lol.

My bf's in car sat nav system decided to tell us go the long way, so it took us longer than normal to get there. p.s never buy a bmw lol. stupid in car computer systems that make them no better than a normal car.

I was not prepared for the open back gown situation lol i clung to it to make sure no one could see my bum lol. But the scan was finnnne, it was noisy you were right and the heat radiating of my head was incredible. It was strange in fact.

I was watching the people in the gallery and they were making me laugh, because i couldnt hear what they were saying seeing them talk and shout at each other was funny. Then seeing one with a banana just made me just think, blooming hell. Easy job lol.

I'm really confused (just for a change :oops:) After I had my coiling I was told I could only have CT scans for life as MRI is dangerous with metal in my head? I see lots of you have had MRI scans?

In January when my wee boy had MRI scan, I wasn't even allowed to be in the room with him because I had coiled aneurysms? Can anyone explain this for me please as I am due to have ??scan in the summer (I have only had angiograms up till now).

My sons dad went into the room for MRI and said it hurt his teeth (worried what it will do to my head!!)

Thank you x

Hi Amelia

Glad your scan went well hun :D

All you guys, well gals ;) are lucky having cd's or radio to listen to - I was given earplugs and that was all... nothing mentioned about music, and the headcradle with the mirror only enabled me to see back down to my hands and legs and out of the 'tube', I couldn't see anyone :( will have to try to remember to ask about music next time... forgot again the last time... :roll:

I have never had any dye injected either for the couple of MRa's I've had. Some machines are good enough not to require it now.

goldfish girl - I think it depends what type of coils were used as to whether you are able to have MRi/a after coiling.

Kel x