My Three Years ... So Far - Pollyanna

Polyanna

Hi you guys!

I had a stroke 3 years ago, at breakfast time and was then found at lunch time by my 13 year old son. I thought that I was talking but I wasn't, just gobli goo, and by 6 o'clock I was unconscious. I was in hospital for three months. I am right-side hemiplegic but I can just about walk with a splint. I had to learn to talk again, and now that it's been three years, it's improved considerably.

This year a friend gave me some money which has been spent on Physio which has opened up my life and has found things which the NHS would never do. Although I am still with the NHS, my private Physio has taught me things I never knew, and has also referred me to the NHS for continuation at a far greater level. The orthotics consultant warned me if I dont change my leg splint I would be doomed to a wheelchair and probably a home within a short time. By seeing this private Physio, he has opened up a new world that the NHS may not have shown me and maybe even saved my life; you just need a good Physio to tell you how to go about it.

Having previously been a top exec PA for a very powerful person, I have now learnt to live with this stroke. Hard as it's been, I have never given up and I still think times will get better. They better!

I was determined to do whatever I can do with support from my son and my boyfriend, I am very lucky to have them.

The last three years have been the hardest time of my life, but you have to carry on.

Good Luck to everyone with whatever sort of stroke you've had and always believe that there's still something that will happen.

Pollyanna

Edited by Polyanna

Hello Pollyanna and welcome to BTG,

It's great to hear you're still improving after 3 years. I am almost at the 2 year mark and regularly wonder if my own progress has reached it's end. Hopefully not! I don't have any physical deficits other than a loss of quarter of my visual field. I am slowly learning to live with that and only tonight realised I now expect not to see what's going on in that area. It was quite a comforting realisation. :-P You will like it here, as there is always a good response to any questions we may ask.

Welcome aboard.

Sally x

Hi Polyanna,

Welcome to BTG- great to have you with us:-D. A super bunch of people here with varying degrees of problems, all with one aim - to improve - I think your post will have given inspiration to many. It sounds like your physio (and you) have worked very hard to get where you are today. I hope things continue to improve further for you and hope you will join us again, for support or just a chat!

Take care,

Sarah

Welcome to BTG Polyanna!

Your journey has been a tough one, yet you remain so positive - very encouraging! So happy for you that you've received some excellent help and have come so far. You're right about support - I'm sure it makes a huge difference in our recoveries and outlooks on the future!

Glad you're with us and hope to hear lots more from you!

Carolyn

Welcome to BTG Polyanna!

Your journey has been a tough one, yet you remain so positive - very encouraging! So happy for you that you've received some excellent help and have come so far. You're right about support - I'm sure it makes a huge difference in our recoveries and outlooks on the future!

Glad you're with us and hope to hear lots more from you!

Carolyn

I think you are all very inspiring, as someone just 9 months after their stroke. I hope I am feeling so positive after 2 or 3 years.

Thank you, hope you all keep on improving and get right back to your "factory default settings",

Sally, Wow, no physical defects after 2 years!!

Damian

Hi there

Welcome to the site and to the family. I'm five years on in August and, luckily, have never suffered from any physical side affect from my SAH so it's great to hear that others are progressing and improving over time when they have suffered a great deal more than I have.

Damian, I hope this spurs you on and gives you hope and inspiration mate - anything is possible and never say never - you can do it.

Look forward to getting to know you Polyanna.

Thanks very much for your replies. It's very good to hear from you and your belief in me certainly makes life easier. I believe, as I think I've shown by having private physio, there's a lot out there, so never give up hope!!

I learnt something yesterday by seeing the Orthotics Consultant that if I hadn't seen him and listened to my physio, they both told me, that within two years I would never be able to walk again, if I didn't pursue intensive physio (all thanks to my physio!).

Will be in touch soon.

Polyanna

Your very positive spirit has kept you going make no mistake!

I'm so pleased that now, finally, you're able to access more intensive treatment. A good move to enlist the help of a private physio who then kindly refers you back in to the nhs for more advanced work. That'll ratch it up a bit for you!! Trainers to the ready!!:-D

Hi Pollyanna, welcome to BTG!

This is such a great place for support!

Good for you for pursuing as much treatment as you can get. If you have the means then go for it! It sounds like it's working and it's an interesting commentary that if you can pay for private treatment it's possible that you will go farther than with public treatment. If only it were aavailable to everyone!

Your determination and positive attitude will be helping your recovery too, it's truly inspirational to see you being this positive three years along. Good for you!!

Sandi K. Xo