new member lizzy

lizzy

Hi Lizzy,

Welcome to BTG. This site is full of fantastic support, advice and friendships.

You're in very early days of your recovery. Have you read 'a letter from your brain' on the home page under inspiration? I still read it often, it's a fantastic bit of writing.

Also I recommend reading 'the spoon theory' on line, I've told many family and friends to read it because it is the best way to explain how things are for me now. I'll often refer to my spoons!!

Have patience and understanding with yourself.

Oh and drink plenty of water, it really does help with the headaches.

Take care and keep smiling,

SarahLou Xx

Hi Lizzy

You'll find lots of people on here going through the same and willing to offer support and encouragement to you. Did you have to go through surgery at the time? How are you coping now?

Michelle x

Hi Michelle :) I went through brain aneurysm coiling surgery, feeling very tired and weak .I am still trying to come to terms with what happened . lizzy x

Hi Lizzy,

Welcome to BTG. This site is full of fantastic support, advice and friendships.

You're in very early days of your recovery. Have you read 'a letter from your brain' on the home page under inspiration? I still read it often, it's a fantastic bit of writing.

Also I recommend reading 'the spoon theory' on line, I've told many family and friends to read it because it is the best way to explain how things are for me now. I'll often refer to my spoons!!

Have patience and understanding with yourself.

Oh and drink plenty of water, it really does help with the headaches.

SarahLou Xx

Hi Sarahlou, I'll give it a read thanks :) I'll drink more water too .thanks so much and take care lizzy xx

Hi Lizzy

Warm welcome to the site, glad you found us.

You are early in recovery it take time hun, I used to miss the old me not now, you'll find lots of support here....

Thanks Louise,So glad I found this place, It's good to know I'm not alone :) all the best lizzy x

Lizzy hi & welcome to btg, sorry I won't get too close but i am suffering from the mother of all throat infections right now & Donna seems to have caught it off me & I don't want anyone else to catch it!!

I too was treated at Wessex( as you are in Souhtampton I assume you were? & as much as it pains me to say it you are very early in your recovery. Before you run away from the screen shrieking in frustration it is a huge thing that you've been through & the SAH nurses estimates of 3-6 months recovery are mainly based on physica recovery & does not take into account the fatigue we all suffer. At 2 months I was just about taking my son to school but getting a taxi back (we live on a hill)& then my hubby was picking up both up at lunchtime. That was the limit of what I could do & sometimes I would arrive at school breathless & sweaty & shaking!! I was able to be on my own but was housebound really as didn't drive until the Oct (I was clipped in June). The 2 flights of stairs to our bedroom felt like Ben Nevis & i would frequently go back to bed during the day to sleep.

It really is about taking things one step at a time. listening to your body when it's tired & drinking lots of water for the headaches, thankfully they don't last forever & I rarely have one now (2 years this June) & when I do paracetamol & lots of water is the top tip.

A few of us Hants people have met at the Wessex meets which are proving to be very helpful & the next one is April if you'd like to come.

xxxx

Hi Lizzy

Welcome to BTG!

You will find lots of friendly advice here, and will be able to get answers to the many questions you might have...

Everyone seems to have a number of the same symptoms following SAH, whether they have been coiled, clipped or do not even have an aneursym to explain the bleed. Some suffer more after-effects than others, but we are all united in providing the best possible resting place for all survivors ;)

As others have said lots of water is key to helping recovery, and reducing the headaches.

I switched to decaf tea following my SAH, and try not to drink many caffeinated drinks (diet coke etc) as I find it makes me feel 'muggy-headed' if I do. If that makes any sense?! I rarely have alcohol now too, just the odd 1 or 2 now and again, depending on the situation and who I am with.

Dr's may say recovery takes 3-6mths, 12-18mths, 1-2 yrs, etc etc... we all seem to be told something different along the way... I was told up to 2 yrs. Well, I am now just over 2 yrs post-SAH and although I do manage to do a lot, I am not the same as I was before, and I no longer expect to be now.

Any questions - just ask; either within this thread, or visit the Green Room, or even send a private message to one of us.

Take care of yourself

Kel x

Lizzy hi & welcome to btg, sorry I won't get too close but i am suffering from the mother of all throat infections right now & Donna seems to have caught it off me & I don't want anyone else to catch it!!

I too was treated at Wessex( as you are in Souhtampton I assume you were? & as much as it pains me to say it you are very early in your recovery. Before you run away from the screen shrieking in frustration it is a huge thing that you've been through & the SAH nurses estimates of 3-6 months recovery are mainly based on physica recovery & does not take into account the fatigue we all suffer. At 2 months I was just about taking my son to school but getting a taxi back (we live on a hill)& then my hubby was picking up both up at lunchtime. That was the limit of what I could do & sometimes I would arrive at school breathless & sweaty & shaking!! I was able to be on my own but was housebound really as didn't drive until the Oct (I was clipped in June). The 2 flights of stairs to our bedroom felt like Ben Nevis & i would frequently go back to bed during the day to sleep.

It really is about taking things one step at a time. listening to your body when it's tired & drinking lots of water for the headaches, thankfully they don't last forever & I rarely have one now (2 years this June) & when I do paracetamol & lots of water is the top tip.

A few of us Hants people have met at the Wessex meets which are proving to be very helpful & the next one is April if you'd like to come.

I know what you mean about the school run and house work is a thing of the past at the moment lol :) thanks for all the tips p.s I wanted to go to the wessex meet in feb but slept in... all the best lizzy

Hi Lizzy,

Don't worry about the housework, it can wait.

Concentrate on the here and now, on your recovery.

Sometimes when I'm having down days I remember back and I realise how far I have come.

I remember clearly how I felt the first time I managed to walk to my local park which is only a couple of minutes walk from my house. It was late autumn, my fave time of year. The walk took what felt like hours to get there, I was exhausted, I sat on a bench, took a good look around me and I sobbed and sobbed.

Your'll get there Lizzy, your'll get to make those kind of memories.

Hope you can make it to the next neuro meet, a wake up call can be arranged!

Latte and cake from Costa-Lot-Coffee before it starts, that'll wake you up!!

SarahLou Xx

Edited by SarahLou

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone :) I feel better knowing I have poeple who understnd me too.

looking forward to wessex meeting "coffee and cake sounds great ! " lol Have great day everyone, it's nearly the weekend.... yippee!!!!

Hi Lizzy,

In my early days I was sleeping for 3-6 hours a day on the couch and sleeping well at night. I am a headache sufferer as well. I am 5 1/2 months post SAH. I slept yesterday for 3 hours on my day off. Do you have kids, job etc? I am 53 kids are gone, just hubby and me. I work and that has been hard enough. The spoon therory (SP) is great, I use to say I have a 1/2 cup of beans and I can only use 1/4 at work and 1/4 at home to find some balance. I still over do it. But I NEVER feel bad about taking a nap or laying down when I need to as it is all I can do to deal with headaches. Nothing really helps me except not pushing too hard, drinking water, and rest. I also never feel bad telling people I have had a brain hemorrahge when I need help. I am not ashamed and somedays I need help from a stranger figuring out something in the grocery store etc.... The more tired I am the more problems I have.

Good luck, MaryB

Hi maryb, I have three kids, well ones adult now lol .I feel so guilty sometimes for going for a sleep in the daytime,so used to looking after everyone .

but if I don't have a kip,I get more tired And upset . take care and all the very best lizzy :)

Hi Lizzy,

It's great that you live near enough to get to the Wessex support meetings, I am sure you will find lots of support there.....but.....don't be led astray by that naughty Sarah Lou & Bagpuss!!! Rumour has it they steal all the biscuits :lol:

Seriously, though, face to face support will be a huge help along with all the warmth & friendly support on here.

Michelle xx

Hi Lizzy,

Had to comment on your last post re the sleep requirements. I'm almost 3 yrs post op now and came home from work at 5 last night, slept from then till 9pm, then spent a couple of hours trying to compensate for not looking after the 'clan'( and relieve myself of the guilt I felt):roll: . Ran round feeding everyone and tidying. By 11.30 had to go to bed and slept like a log till 8.30 this morning. Fortunately, I feel great now and have the house to myself. I have already made up for all the lost time and caught up with all the chores. I've even prepared everyones ballgowns:smilewinkgrin: for an engagement do this evening. :-D

The fatigue definitely seems to be a long term thing for me and I'm still trying to balance the work/rest situation. Time I accepted it's ok to rest as it gives me a little motivation for later and the family will benefit from that. :wink:

As Michelle says, you're so lucky to be near enough to get to those hospital meets. I wish we had something similar here.

Good luck with your recovery, take your time and look after yourself. It's more beneficial for the family too if we take things easy and go slow. :-D

Sally x

ha ha i'm not easily led astray Michelle...only when alcohol is involved, haven't had much of that lately.A bit scared to drink at the moment really don't want to make my headaches worse :( sounds like a good plan sally to me more rest = more quality time with my family :) will have to live with the guilt ( Guilt is my middle name being a catholic in all ) . hope you all had a good weekend! x

Lizzy, Love the line about GUILT most of my friends and family are Catholic. I do not feel any guilt what so ever for sleeping so much. I look at it is getting well. Like a baby sleeps much when it grows I use the phrase in my head "I sleep much to get well". I can't change it and I refuse to let myself feel bad about it. I am forunate that my husband is so supportive. I sometimes feel self centered in my thoughts because I must be right now. If I do nto take care of myself what good am I to anyone else. It all comes into light for me. Rest, water, and a little something else! It gets much better,really but it will take time.

Oh, and I can drink - I won't drink if I have taken pain and muscle relaxers but I can drink beer. Gin is a little too much for me yet! But I can down up to 4 beers at a sitting. Guess I woul dbe bragging now!

LOL,

MaryB