Hey Up :) Glyn

Glyn Horner

I'm 42, I'm a self Employed landscape gardener. I live near Nottingham with my wife and 2 children. I had an SAH on 27th December 2013 although I didn't go into hospital until the 30th. The paramedics that came convinced me it was a migraine but I knew it was more, I should've insisted they take me into hospital.

I was in hospital 5 days (felt like a lifetime!). I'm doing ok now but still getting very tired, I'm just itching to get back to work, to watching and playing football (if I can) and to having a nice pint.

Hi Glyn :) a very warm welcome to BTG !

You have come to the right place for lots of helpful information and support.

It is very common to be mis diagnosed, I was given anti sickness pills and told I had a sick bug lol.

Glad you found us.

Hi Glyn,

It is amazing to me every time I read a story about the paramedics thinking its just a migraine. Thank goodness you did get the help you needed. I was in the hospital for 12 days. Seems like a very bad dream now. Was your bleed from an aneurysm rupture or was the source never found?

Hope you are feeling better.

I

Hi Glyn

Fellow Nottingham-ite here too - Rise Park!!

Misdiagnosis never fails to annoy the hell out of me. Maybe its about time the paramedic were given more training into identifying SAH's instead of putting everything down to a migraine!!

Hi Sammi, I'm in Toton near Beeston. I've been wondering whether I should contact someone about the paramedics, not to complain but to make sure we can educate them so hopefully it won't happen again.

I'm not sure who I would contact though. I landscaped the garden of a paramedic last year, I may contact her.

I must say that you lot are very friendly on here, what a nice welcome I've had from you all. :)

Iola

My bleed wasn't caused by an AVM or aneurysm, just one of those things the consultant said. What about your bleed? What caused it? I'm feeling loads better now thanks, how long did it take you to fully recover if you have.

Edited by penny
Quote removed

Welcome to the group Glyn. I suppose the one silver lining in all this is that all this rubbish weather would have meant little outdoor work anyway as a landscape gardener so take the opportunity to rest and recover.

Hard thing to diagnose a bleed I think. I had a paramedic come out to me who wasn't too concerned that it was urgent until I was violently ill and then fitted which pointed to the seriousness of the situation. Fast track surgery and ICu and six weeks in hospital . Everyone of us presents differently, each bleed is unique , I'm just glad you got help eventually and are doing ok.

Everyone recovers at their own pace but we all share it seems the desire to overdo it the early days. Maybe it's the adrenalin of being alive, maybe it's joy we are still here but we all do it. So my advice to you is to slow things down in these early days, remind yourself it was a bleed you had not a fork in the foot and give yourself the time and kindness that you need.

Hold off the pints for now as well maybe. I was advised no alcohol for a while after and actually don't drink at all now as find the effect of hangover is exaggerated, to be honest I don't fancy self inflicted headaches after all the ones I have had to put up with. Maybe find something else of a little that you fancy to treat the senses!

Hi Glyn,

My bleed was from an unknown source. No AVM, no aneurysm. It's called a non-aneurysmal SAH (NASAH). Still a bleed nevertheless. Weakened/primitive vein, they think. I just hit my 10 month mark and I must say its been an arduous journey. Everyone is different though. You may bounce back much quicker.

Take the advice of others here and take it easy and do not do too much too soon.

Iola

Thanks Daffodil, some wise comments there. I can easily do with no beer but I am itching to get back to work, partly to get active again but to get earning some pennies again. As I'm self employed I don't get any benefit and the only insurance I have is for accident.

What about fitness? How soon was it before you started doing physical stuff again?

Hi Glyn

I've hit the 3 month mark today and I'm still struggling to get back to work and back to much physical activity. I used to be very active (gym several times a week and horse riding the other days) but at the moment I can manage a 30minute walk, or 0minutes pilates, or a short gym session (20mins on treadmill, 15mins on exercise bike at very gentle speeds/resistance). Last week I felt stronger and started doing more but then this week I've had a horrendous headache for several days because I clearly pushed myself too much.

If you'd asked me last week I would have seen myself going back to work quite soon, but the 3 days headache I had this week was horrific, and proved that I'm clearly not ready yet. Only you will know how you feel, but don't let anyone push you (especially yourself!) into doing too much to soon. I know it's hard when you don't have the money coming in, but in the long term you want to be able to get back to full strength sooner, and lots of the experts I've been speaking to say all too often they see people go back to work too soon, only to then burn themselves out.

I found in the early stages that I thought "ah, I'm one of the lucky ones, I'm going to bounce back quickly", but 3 months in I've learnt the hard way that isn't the case :( It's great to be motivated, but I've found my motivation has just let to agonising headaches!

I had a great session with my support worker from Headway yesterday and she basically explained I was doing too much even when I thought I was resting. I said to her I'd had a restful day today in front of the tv and she told me that whilst it might not feel strenous that really isn't that resting for my brain at all.

Whilst watcing tv my brain was trying to listen to sound, watch the basics of what was going on (and I unfortunately have visual issues as a result of my haemorrhage), trying to interpret any emotions/body language in the tv characters whilst still looking after the rest of my body (breathing, metabolising, digesting etc!). So whilst I thought I was resting, my brain was thinking otherwise!

She's suggested I try and take more actual breaks - only needs to be 15minutes or so sitting quitely with my eyes closed with no other distractions. She told me there's no reason to try and stop doing some of the things I've been doing to, as it's great to challenge/push myself (to an extent), but that the best thing I can do is incorporate more short rest periods. She also told me to be really strict about timing and think, right I'm going to do this for 2hours, but at that 2 hour mark I will stop and take a rest.

I'm even going to set a timer to go off after 2 hours to make sure I'm strict with myself!

Edited by penny
Paragraphs/line spacing inserted for easier reading

The book I just finished reading talked about the importance of resting the brain. I am also a doer so I was never good at resting, even in the early stages and I paid the price. But, while resting, it is important to simply rest in silence. Let the brain heal. When awake, I believe it is good to be alert and challenge the brain without over doing it. Baby steps for the "baby" brain.

Oh, congrats on hitting the 3 month mark Chloe. Yay!

iola

Hi Glynn & welcome!

I too was 'miss diagnosed' by the paramedics who tried to give me paracetamol & leave me at home.

I have since written to them in the politest way in the hope of raising the issue for a little re training and have been simply ignored!

Am informed they followed correct procedure etc - my GP and consultant both think I should continue trying to advise them in the hope of helping others!

Emma x