How much do you drink a day?

Sorry to sound really nosey but I last few weeks I have thought hard about my diet and cut and aspartane and caffiene after reading advice on here. Now on thinking about it I remember having to drink at least 3 litres in hospital and I'm now not sure that i'm drinking that amount. Wrote it all down yesterday and did but don't think tat was a normal day! Can you include drinks like decaff coffee or is it just water? I'm confused but after drinking in total about 4 litres yesterday and not waking with a headache I wondered......

Thanks

Laura

xx

Hey there

From what I've told then yeas you can include coffee and tea as part of your daily liquid intake. I'm the same though Laura, I don't drink nearly as much as I should - apart from Vit Smart that we were talking about. I have about 5 or 6 cups fo decaff a day on top of this the Vit Smart and probably a glass or two of Schloer and as they say you're supposed to drink eight glasses per day, so thinking about it, I'm probably on track. If it's not plain water I tend to drink more anyway - water is so boring.

Hope this helps - off for a de caff and a fag :wink:

Sami xxx

Hi Laura,

I tend to mainly drink water and have the odd tea or coffee during the day. I probably drink more water in the evening and should really increase it a bit more during the daytime. I take most of my tabs before I go to bed, so that will normally involve a large glass of water too ..... You also have to be careful that you don't drink too much water and go the opposite way, as it can wash away the vital minerals and salts in the body and will make you feel poorly too, so it's striking the right balance.

My experience with caffeine seems to be opposite to everyone else. During the early weeks of my recovery, a strong cup of full caff coffee definitely helped with the headaches. Even now, I can usually stave one off with a cup of coffee. I'm sure it doesn't do my blood pressure any good especially as I'm on medication for that and I usually have decaff at home. I usually drink about 5 or 6 cups of tea per day as well, so my liquid intake is probably between 2 & 3 litres per day, slightly more at weekends ... does beer count?

Off for the same as Sami :wink:

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

It's interesting with caffeine ..... some people that suffer migraine heads will drink an extra strong cup of coffee and it will help get rid of it ..... seems strange that when you do suffer migraines that caffeine can trigger one, but an extra strong dose of caffeine can also be the cure. Weird ..... but then again, I used to take Panadol for my migraines, as I found that it was the only painkiller that would shake it off ..... that also had caffeine in the tab.

I am very early in my recovery 12 /13 weeks.

I drink between 3 / 4 litres of water perhaps with some flavouring. I don't drink coffee and i do suffer headaches if my fluid intake is lower and if i eat chocolate.

I used to love Irn Bru and coke but sadly no more.

Keith does beer count? The homer Simpson in me says Yes!!! but the sad sah sufferer says a sorry no.

Donuts are good but not with chocolate.

Hi Vivien,

I'm not actually sure how the caffeine works, with migraine. It can be the trigger for a migraine, but if you take it in a strong enough dose, then when the migraine is in full swing, it can help to relieve it ..... I haven't got a clue scientifically (spelling?) how this works, but many people find that it does.

All, I can say, is that caffeine must have a pretty strong affect on our brain.... I did have withdrawal headaches when I first came off it ..... I switched to tea, which I believe only has about half the amount of caffeine, than coffee... and now I've gone onto de-caff tea.... However, I still get migraines, but not as much as I used to ....

Caffeine, by itself is not believed to have any pain killing properties, but it is known to enhance some pain killing drugs. Most of those "extra strength" pain killers seem to contain caffeine. Maybe it's just the feel-good factor for some of us, but yes, it can have the opposite effect too.

I mostly drink tea, which as you say, Karen, has about half the caffeine that coffee has. If I drink coffee at all, it's mostly decaff. I don't really get headaches any more, therefore caffeine withdrawal is not an issue for me.

Regards

Keith

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Sami- Bought loads of that vitsmart today as we discussed, It worked out cheaper to buy 2 on offer small bottles than 1 large bottle from tesco.

I'm keen on the ribena too and also the schloer, I know no aspartane in the ready made ribena but will have to look at the schloer before buying it.

I've done well so far today, drunk 2 litres of water and 3 coffees.

Anyway off for the vitsmart now :lol:

Laura

xx

I was caffiene addict prior to SAH hated tea,

Now I love a cuppa Tea have a few a day. Hate bog standard coffee but when out like a Decaf Latte's, Do feel better when I increase water intake.

Missed having a bottle of beer now like, Tiger or Cobra non Alcoholic. (Can't remember which it is.) Have a glass or two of red at the weekend but took a good few months before I could even think about it.

Been reading that Diet Doctors book (its great only problem is I now have a zillion things wrong with me :lol: ), Section on Liver detoxing, lot of symptoms are like ours, Fatigue etc, so concentrating on peppermint tea's milk thistle etc will let you know how I get on.

Aine

• 1 year later...
Guest Vivienne

Oh goodness!

I'm shocked to read that a lot of you drink 3 to 4 litres of water a day! I was advised 2-3, and I only just manage to get over the 2 mark!

I find it really hard to drink so much, having not being a big drinker before.

But drinking water is my religion now :D

Vivienne

The information i have been given is that a normal person should drink between 2 to 3 ltrs of fluid each day in normal temperatures and when hot, this goes up to 4 ltrs per day, due to perspiration and dehydrating, through sweat and body temperature levels. This can be tea or any other drink except excessive coffee and drinks like red bull ,which have a very high content of caffeine, which is a stimulus and have actually been responsible for people over dosing on caffeine which does set the heart rate into overdrive and can cause heart failure . The caffeine not only keeps you awake but can harm the bodies organs through overdosing .

Water flushes out toxins within the body, as does tea low in caffeine but high in tannin, which stimulates the kidneys to flush the body of toxins. I cant answer about the headaches and why some get relief from caffeine boost or why some dont , but i think it may be down to which part of the brain triggers the migraine, but will try and find out . I think if i remember, a friend who suffered migraines cut out cheese and coffee and has never suffered a migraine since. take care

I know I don't drink enough water drink that in coffee though which is probably why I have quite a few headaches. They tried to make me drink alot of water whilst I was in hospital but they were fighting a losing battle :lol: Jess.xxx

Hi

I'm the same as Aine. I used to drink only black coffee, and lots of it. The only time I drank tea was when I was pregnant. However since my SAH, I can't even think about drinking coffee. For me it's tea, tea, tea. Strong with just two teaspoons of skimmed milk. Mmmmmmmmmm, must just go and put the kettle on............

Kim

Hi Laura

I drink mainly tea now cannot drink coffee makes me feel sick. I was drinking over 3litrs of water in hospital and now i dont drink enough water i got out of the habit i suppose. i do take a bottle of water everywhere with me though a sort of safety net. Neil always laughs at me when i ask him for a ticktock tea now :lol:

Love michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 3 weeks later...

I got quite fed up with having to down 3 litres of water a day in hospital. Once I collared a doctor and asked if it had to be water. He told me quite bluntly:

'it could be any fluid, even beer (but not spirits) if you like so long as it doesn't interfere with your medication. Oh, and avoid caffiene if possible'.

So, now I'm at home I have a wide variety of drinks, including the odd bottle of decent ale of an evening, and I easily top my 3 litres a day and have only very rare headaches (touch wood!). I guess everyone is different and you just need to find out what works for you. I can't tell you how happy I am that beer works for me ;)