New here - Maya - unruptured aneurysm

maya72

HI everybody.

I am new here. I have just been diagnosed  with ophtalmic aneyresm recently. Can anybody  give me advice  please. I  am so worried have little children. I live in London. Can anybody recommend  a  good neurosurgeon. I will have first appointment  in January  and further  angiography.

Thank you very much.

Maya, welcome to BTG.

It is only natural to worry and panic as you obviously are doing, but if the medics thought it was that urgent you would have been admitted and treated immediately.

Whilst you are waiting for your appointment, go to see your GP who should be able to reassure you as stress is not good.

We are unable to give recommendations regarding consultants the same as we cannot give medical advice.

Hi Maya, warm welcome, glad you found us.

Supers right if they thought it urgent you'd be treated & I don't think you need find a surgeon.

Good idea too going to the GP for a chat nope stress isn't good.

keep positive.. take care

Hi Maya 

Welcome to BTG.  I'm sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with an aneurysm.  I think it is a natural reaction to be worried when you are suddenly thrown into the world of aneurysms - with probably little knowledge of what's what at this stage.

Whilst aneurysms do vary in size and some are more of a threat than others, I hope I can give you some reassurance by telling you that I too have an unruptured aneurysm close to my opthalmic artery.  I'm not sure how long it's been there, but it was discovered 8 years ago and it has not had to be operated on during that time. I do however have regular scans to check it, but have managed to live with the knowledge of it since then.  

You will find out more, I'm sure, when you've had your appointment in January - try not to worry in the meantime - there are some very skilled neurosurgeons within the NHS in this country, so I personally wouldn't be looking round for one who might be better than another.  I've been a member of this site for about 7 years and I've never come across anyone who has complained about their neuro team/consultant/surgeon.  

I wish you all the best,

Sarah

• Like 4

I know it is natural to stress Maya, but as others have said do not stress, hard not to but think of happy times when you laughed until you cried.

I do that a lot and get weird looks from hubby and daughter xx

See Doc and say you are scared and tell him how you feel he might be able to push it forward.

Good luck and type any worries you might have on BTG. Good luck, Win

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your support  and reassurance. Probably  you are right  I have to put my trust on God. I have been 7 years work for nhs and last year decided  to do my nursing degree. I am 44  and 2nd year student. I don't know  what to do, leave the course  or continue. I have little children,  instead of running  to uni spend time with kids becouse the future is unpredictable.

Can anybody give me advice please.

Thank you.

Hi Maya

As others have said I am sure if they thought it necessary they would have  got you in before January. 

I know it's hard but try to keep calm for yours and your children's sake. Do not give up on your hopes and dreams, sounds like you are doing really well in your career. 

Be positive and wait till your January appointment. I am sure they will then tell you more and what to expect, then you can make plans. 

Be strong and patient and keep coming back to BTG for  our support. 

Clare xx 

• Like 2

Hi Maya

You are still a young chicken so try and continue your studies you obviously love the course and just think about the benefits you will be able to bring to patients in the future the third year maybe a bit easier.

Try to carry on as normal and stop thinking about what might be it may turn out that they will monitor you and do nothing else.

But also think and play with the youngers and have fun  take care  hugs and cuddles.  

• Like 3

Hi Maya,

I graduated with my degree when I was 47 years old - you sound like a mere youngster to me!  You could try a couple of things without leaving your course.

1)  You could take a break from it and return to it later but of course you need to let the University know your reasons but, in my experience, they are always willing to help rather than lose you altogether.  You could then judge how well your recovery is going before carrying on with your studies.

2)  Or they could extend the time limits for essays, or the course as a whole, so that you are not under so much pressure.

3)  They could also give you more one to one tuition at certain times to help you through the difficult bits of your course. 

4)  Or you could make it a part time course or maybe a distance learning course if it is allowed.

So there are options, but you really need to talk them over with the university to see which would suit you best.

I was bringing up my two boys alone at the time when I did mine and my mother had Alzheimer's too, which didn't make life any easier. In any event, if you do decide to carry on, you will need to try and manage your time in the most efficient way you can and seek the help of friends and relatives to help with domestic issues, if they can.  So there is hope!

Enjoy your kids, and if they are of the right age, try getting them to look up references for you in books, perhaps by putting a post it note in to mark the page, as part of a game to help mummy get her degree.  Make them feel part of it, part of you.  Not only will they help but they may learn something, not academically possibly, but about the determination, dedication and application needed to succeed.  What a wonderful example you will set to them.  Reward them for doing it, even if they are getting it wrong sometimes, they are trying!

However, if you feel it is just too much then leave - your children need you in the best possible health and that is so much more important than any degree.

If you keep 'thinking' as you put it, things can seem worse than they really are, so when you are in that mode, come on here and tell us your problem and your feelings - a problem shared is a problem halved.

Some of us on here have degrees, not in your subject perhaps, but we know what it takes to get through one, so we can try and help you and give support!

Best wishes,

let us know how you get on and what you decide,

Macca

• Like 5

HI Macca!

Thank you so much for your time to write such a reassuring  letter. At the moment  I feel like lost.  All my friend at uni encourage  me to continue but personally  I don't know what is waiting for me. I keep reading all the people affected  by aneyresm stories and became more concern. My aneurysm on the left ophtalmic artery which  considered  difficult to treat.I haven't  seen consultant yet .

It is going to be  on the 10th of January. I am sorry to say buy I feel  so stressed and devastated. When I look at my youngest  he is stil so small and what if I will not be around. If I can turn the time back I would never have resigned  from nhs and started my nursing  course. So many things in my head.  Sorry to tell you about my feelings.

Maya

• Like 1

Hi Paul 99!

Thank you so much for your letter. I will try to spend more time with the youngest children. I was so depressed  last 4 weeks. Last night my little daughter said Mummy I am scared that when you go in to hospital you never come back.

I know I have to be strong but it is so difficult. Thank you very much for all your support. I feel better now.

Maya

Hi Maya

Its only normal to think too much about the unknown the what ifs and what's going to happen.

That is outside your control just be happy and loving to the children you will have plenty of time to rationalise things after your appointment and hopefully it wont be as bleak as you think.

Good luck and enjoy the kids

• Like 2

Hi Maya. I also had an unruptured aneurysm. Mine was unstable though and had grown to 5mm. Given that it had grown and might possibly grow again I was offered surgery. I was given the choice of coiling or clipping. Given that clipping usually meant no further action would ever be needed I chose to be clipped.

My son was just turned 4 at the time and like you i was terrified. For me there wasn't an option not to have surgery so it was a done deal when I went in.

6 years on apart from double vision my only major issue is fatigue. I do most things I did before although I was lucky that I didn't have to work, I did do some voluntary work but the office moved and I wasn't needed.

If your anni is small and monitored for any changes regularly and if your neuro does not think you need surgery then I'd go with it. If there are changes then the surgeon will inform you of your options and advise you accordingly. 

Its tough but you need to trust the experts x

• Like 3

Thank you Bagpuss.

Mine is 6 7 mm. They will do something. My worries is,  ophthalmic artery and I could lose my eyesight. At the moment  I feel a lot of pressure  in my head. If I didn't have the pressure in my head and feeling unbalanced,  maybe I could concentrate  on something else, but i'ts always on my mind.

I  have had a very bad cough for a week. Yesterday went to see GP. He prescribed  me antibiotics and said cough doesn't affect my aneurysm to burst or to grow. However I have read in some American post that coughing can affect aneurysm. Anybody know if coughing can trigger aneurysm.

Thank you very much for all your support  and time. I was a very busy woman with my children, study, doing agency job meanwhile. Now everythings changed, I am so depressed. So sorry.

Maya

• Like 1

Maya, sending you a huge hug and lots of positive vibes your way xx

Please try not to look on the internet, it will just make you stress and worry more.

Hopefully the antibiotics have started to kick in and the coughing will stop and you will feel much better. 

Take care Maya.

Tina xx

• Like 2

Maya, look forwards not back.  Control what you can control, and the rest will take care of itself.

Take medical advice re your aneurysm and plan life around the advice you are given.

Is the literature you read from a reliable source?

Does it cover people with your type of aneurysm, does it cover a specific age group or gender, or social group?  Often these things are never as straightforward as they at first may seem.  The person to listen to is your consultant.  Next time you see him/her have a list of pre-prepared questions you want answering.

It is too easy, when you are on your own, to see something and let your imagination run away with itself because what you have seen, or read, or heard about, seems to confirm what you were already thinking.  More often than not it isn't like that at all, you just interpreted it that way.  You will often find the focus of academic studies like these is very narrow and often they fail to take into account external influences. Why don't you discuss it with a friend and see what they think?  They might provide some balance.  If it really worries you then mention it to your consultant next time you go.

I've never heard of coughing triggering an aneurysm but then, before it happened to me, I hadn't even heard of an aneurysm! 

What I do know is that stress is never good for you, whether you have an aneurysm or not, so try to minimise that by not worrying too much. Concentrate on those children of yours and let them see  a happy Mum who is doing her best to support them.

Your consultant will do his/her best for you so there is every reason to be optimistic.  I don't think any aneurysm is easy to deal with but success rates continue to improve, we are all living proof of that.  Try to find a different focus, for at least some of the time, to provide some relief for both yourself and your children.  Yes, it is a difficult time but you will get through it eventually.  Unfortunately there are never instant answers, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and you will emerge, I am sure.

I wish you well,

Macca

• Like 2

Hi everyone! Thank you very much for your warm words and reassurance. I have got a letter yesterday  and I wil have dyed MRI on the 6th of December.  I am counting  my days and feeling anxious.I went to university  last week. The lectures was so interesting  everybody  have fun but I was absolutely  on different  planet.It is so hard to concentrate. Thank you very much for all kind words and support.

Maya

• Like 2

You're welcome!

Well done Maya for going to the university. It gives you a different focus from your medical issues.  Hopefully you will get some positive news after your MRI and from there you will be able to begin to move forwards.

Try not to worry too much.

It's a bit like the build up to Christmas.  It's all about anticipation and the build up, then before you know it, it has been and gone and then you think "What was all the fuss about?"

Good luck - and keep us posted!

Macca

• Like 3