weak legs

Hi Donna,

I suffered from, and still do in fact, a weakness down my right hand side. I am always in pain only the degree of the pain changes from time to time. On occasions I find that I can not walk at all. It was three years before they gave me a diagnosis of "Neuro-Pathic Pain", it seems that there is nothing physically wrong with my hip but that doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with it. Whether weakness or pain I do still suffer the after effects of the SAH five years on, but then I am on the fringes of having a "normal" recovery. Many people find that they do suffer from what you describe and gradually over time they subside but it is amazing what you can learn to live with!

Scott

I also suffer from weak legs, it started at hospital after i had my seizure. I had physiotherapy at home and although i can still walk, my legs feel weak when i walk. I feel a bit safer with crutches, i am getting use to it now and all honest it does not bother me that much i just have adapted to the new situation and i still do the exercises the physiotherapist told me. Have you been referred to a physiotherapist?

I hope you get better soon.

myratas

Hi Donna

I had that at the beginning and had physio, they came out to me, did exercises going up and down bottom two stairs, this did help, just did a few 3 times a day, with my eye and face exercises, ask your GP about Physio.

Love Tinaxx

Hi Donna,

Jim is 6 months since his SAH and he still has weak legs. This is one of the things that has bothered him the most.

Were you in bed for a period of time after your SAH? The PT told Jim it was because he was so immobile for a period of time. He is better now but if he does too much or if he sits for periods of time he becomes very stiff.

You are still early in your recovery.

We wish you well!

Cal

XXXX

Hey Donna

Yep, I had weak legs after and I was only in hospital for 7 days. I lost a stone and with that the muscle in my legs and arms wasted - I found the stairs thing a good idea and if you have an exercise bike just do a few minutes each day and build up - my legs are fine now and I can walk for miles. Remember hun, you're only a couple of months in and things are gonna feel wierd for a while.

Sami xxx

The wea legs are really annoying because my vision throws me off balance i can only stand for a period of time.. hopefully in another month my dizzyness shall of eased and i can concentrate on my legs x x

Hi Donna

Yes, I had weak legs to for the first few months post SAH and hospital stay (10 days). Even now if I'm really tired I can't seem to lift my right leg up to the first stair. I've also pulled a tendon under my right ankle so I think it is still weak on that side.

But its really early days for you. Perhaps you could ask for some proper physio (I think Tina said she'd had that).

Big hug

Lesley xxx

weak legs Yep....

one side of mine is effected by the SAH, the other side is by the meningitis never rains but it pours eh!

gentle excersise is the key to mine, thing is if you dont walk because of the weak legs then they're going to be weak vicious circle, isnt it......

See if you can get physio.......

Louise.xx

Guest troopersway

Hi Donna,

I am catching up on posts having not been on site for some time. I too have weakness in my legs, I call it my breeze block legs as the muscles are all fine but my legs feel so weak it is like having blocks strapped to them. I am walking as much as I can but use sticks as I still have numbness on my right side now and then but it is getting better! Good luck

My left leg is still pretty weak and my foot can drag a bit, if I get tired when walking. I do have a telescopic walking stick that I can use, if Eric isn't around and I need to walk the dog ..... it does help with the balance and the confidence and I only have to use it on a bad day ..... to be honest, I hate using the damned thing, but it's better to be able to get out and about, rather than being stuck in..... at least I can fold it up and stick it in my bag ..... if anybody is interested in buying one, then you can purchase one from the Argos catalogue.

• 3 months later...

Weak legs! another issue I can relate to! Going thru the whole website I could share on each topic! The parallelisms will never cease to amaze me!

When I got out of bed on my own the first time (disobeying everybodies' orders and refusing to call someone for help) I fell flat on my face. I had been nearly 3 months in bed and thought the warnings about my muscles being "disactivated" were exagerations and meant for everyone else except me. I realized then just how bad it was. Having to deal with the anger (and the "we warned you")of the hospital staff and my family, didn´t help much either.

I´ve advanced since then but cannot go up a high step without help. My knees have a limit to what they can do these days. It's worse of course if I´m tired. Also, if I am tired I tend to sway to the right as if I was drunk!.

I start my proper phisiotherapy next Monday. I´m looking forward to it. My legs are improving, but still got problems with one arm not raising as it should and stiffness in my neck. I hope they can help.

Lots of love,

Nurianna

Hi

I have suffered with spondylosis in my neck and upper back but recently I have been treated by the Pain Clinic for pain in my lower back, waist and weakness in my legs which I thought was arthritis but apparently I am now told that it is probably due to my aneurysm. It was explained to me but to be honest I couldn' take it in, I to like Karen take a folding stick with me as my problem is when I stand still my legs appear to give way and I use the stick for support.

Cheers

John