Tersons Syndrome

Guest komodo

Hi everyone

I just thought I would add my experiences to your helpful forum. Having felt very peculiar for some weeks, panicky and losing weight, which I was putting down to work stress/menopause/mid-life crisis (I am 51). I went to the GP on the Tuesday to describe my symptoms he said I should get blood tests done. I had not been to the GPs for about 4 or 5 years so he did not know me at all and was a bit puzzled but examined me - i seemed fine with good low blood pressure etc and sent me off to get the blood tests.

I went to work on Weds and Thurs but felt as if I was really cracking up. On the Thurs night I could not sleep and was very agitated I remember very sharp pains in the back of me head and then nothing until after my coiling. My husband heard me groaning ( lucky for me he usually sleeps through everything!)- I had gone into the spare room- and rang 999. This was 4/7/08 early hours.

Kings in south London is my local hospital, as well as a neuro centre so the ambulance took me there. I had not been complaining of headaches so it took a while for them to scan me and diagnose the problem - but confirmed diagnosis later 4/7/08 . (still don't have headaches - lucky eh?). Anyway I am very pleased with my treatment and was given good information by the Team and my family who were googling away plus sister-in-law is a GP. I was coiled 7.7.08 it was a SAH following a left PICA aneurism. It was classed as Grade 4 SAH. I have just had the coils checked by angiogram today and it is fine.

I was on the neuro ward for about 3 and a half weeks. I got a lot of blood in my left eye as result of the SAH this is called Tersons Syndrome as it was not clearing I had on operation to clear it 22.12.08 and now it seems fine.

I got weepy today after the angiogram thinking what may have been, but thanks to my husband and the NHS I am here to tell this tale. I feel fairly normal now, and having put that weight back on (what good fun that was!) and am due to go back to work, on reduced hours, next week. So want say good luck to all and well done to those who run this site.

Hi Komodo

A warm welcome to BTG its nice to hear that you feel well enough to be going back to work. Just remember to take things slowly at first it can quite tiring the first few months back. Look forward to hearing more from you and let us know how you get on at work.

Janet x

Hi Komodo and welcome to the behind the gray! :D

I have heard of Tersons Syndrome ..... I suffered a III nerve palsy to my right eye and it's taken a long, long time for it repair and for my brain to adjust to the dodgy vision.

As Jan has said, take it easy when you go back to work .... it's still pretty early days recovery wise ....but wishing you the very best of luck.... hope that you continue to make good recovery and it sounds as though you've done pretty well so far.....

Hope that you keep in contact and let us know how you get on.....

I'm not sure whether we've had anybody on the website with Tersons (but with my memory, I could well be wrong! :lol:) For anybody who wants more info, click on http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1227921-overview

K xx

Hey Komodo

Welcome to the site and to the family. I'd never heard of Tersons Syndrome until I read your posting.

Good luck with going back towork- but make sure you don't overdo it - it can be tiring.

Look forward to speaking to you more.

Love Sami xxx

Hi Komodo,

Welcome to the greatest family. This website offers great support and advice.

I, as well as Sami, had never heard of Tersons syndrome but you learn somethng new every day so thanks for sharing.

You sound like you are doing great in your recovery. Try and listen to your body though with work, I went back early and didn't listen to my body and ended up worse for it. Just remember you will be tired and you will need lots of rest.

Take care and speak more very soon

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

WELCOME KOMODO

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF TERSONS SYNDROME, BUT I HAD MY EYE COVER WITH BLOOD TWICE AFTER SAH NEVER SEEN THE DR ABOUT IT, IT SLOWLY WENT AWAY AND I HAVE SO FAR NOT HAD IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

GLAD YOU MADE IT THROUGH LOTS OF LUCK TO YOU.

EVELYN

Hi Komodo :D A very warm welcome to BTG...you will find a lot of support and friends here. Like the others i had not heard of Tersons Syndrome....i wish you well and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care

Love Tina xx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fairyzo

hello everyone ,

Iam also new to the site , i was thinking of signing up but wasnt sure until i read what you had wrote . Following my SAH i also developed tersons sydrome in my left eye , i had it operated on 3 months after my SAH .I still have trouble with focus and blurred vision .I just thought because not alot of people on this site had heard of it i thought id say hello . zoe :D

Hi Zoe

A warm welcome to BTG I'm certain that you will find the site a useful place to visit we all offer help, support and friendship to each other its been a godsend to me during my recovery.

I don't know anything about Tersons but had a third nerve palsy in my left eye thankfully I proved the Opthalmics wrong and have recovered the majority of my sight in my left eye,

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Janet x

Guest fairyzo

thank you janet ,

its taken me a long time to find anything like this site , my consentration levels are not very good , but it all comes with recovery , but i have found you now it would be good to talk to people who have had simialar experiences . zoe

Hi Zoe :D A very warm welcome to you from BTG....glad you have joined us.....i am the same as Janet, but on the right hand side....My eyes are still improving at 13 months later. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Love Tina xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Komodo and Zoe

Welcome both of you. You've come to a grand place to get some support and share your experiences. We've all been through the mill on here!

I haven't heard of Tersons either. Don't go doing too much too soon. Take your time. It takes a while to get back on your feet properly.

Like Karen and Janet I had a third nerve palsy of my right eye and had to wear an eye patch for 3/4 months post SAH. If I do too much reading or on the PC my right eye starts to go a little hazy so its best to take things slowly. These things take a long time to heal.

Hope you both continue to get better.

Big hugs

Lesley xxx

I was also left with Terson's Syndrome. My GP had never heard of it either and had to do her research.

Apparently it is debris from blood that collected at the back of the eye when the blood was forced down the optic nerve owing to the pressure caused by the bleed. It was trying to find a "way out"

When the blood clears it leaves debris. Luckily I also had an op that cleared it but have been left with a few floaters that can be annoying at times, but at least I can see.

Guest Vivienne

Hi

I too haven't heard of Tersons Syndrome, but... I was just thinking about the first time I looked in the mirror after being coiled.

I remember being very surprised that there wasn't a mark on me! I think I had been expecting at least one black eye! But my eye wasn't even bloodshot! I think I thought I would have looked like I'd done a round in a boxing ring! Apart from it being almost closed, you couldn't tell just by looking at me that I'd had anything done.

I was really amazed by this. No bandages, not even an elastoplast! (Though I don't know where I thought they would have stuck that!)

Vivienne :D