Hello

Ash

Hi Ash

What wonderful news to come back off holiday too - thank you.

If you ever get down hearted about your mum's progress, its a good idea to go back to the beginning of this thread and read from start to finish - its a great boost.

Take care of you and sending love to your mum

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi ash

its good news and mum seems to be doing well hopefully it wont be long before you hear mums dulcet voice i think it will be about 12 weeks before mum has the peg taken out once mum starts putting on weight and she is feeding well and hopefully it wont be long before she is tucking into a nice roast beef dinner ahen she goes to rehab i reckon you will be surprised and chuffed take care ash

Hi folks..

Thanks for all the kind words as always its a pleasure to read your replies :-D

Mum is doing ok, now feeding on puree and a bit of yoghurt and she can even manage to use the spoon herself albeit rather slowly lol. However some of the staff are a bit concerned that she might be a bit depressed so they are mentioning anti-depressants....

I do think she's seemed a bit less bright over the last couple of days but then being stuck in a ward all day isn't much fun and that would be understandable. It seems a bit drastic to start on anti-depressants but then i'm no expert. I do feel a bit concerned as before all this my mum was the last person in the world who would consider medication for depression..

She's fine otherwise and the other day i did ask her some questions and she managed some replies in a very soft whisper which was lovely.

I know this is a long process and there will be ups and downs so i guess this is all part of the road. Just want to see her happy but i don't know how medication will help that??

I do know depression is common in SAH recovery and i'm sure some of you have experienced it. It's just that my mum isn't really able to speak and say she feels depressed so it seems like that decisions are being made without her saying so which doesn't feel quite right. Haven't mentioned this to my sister or dad i'm not sure how they'll react...

Anyway i'm knackered so off to eat and sleep for a bit and i'll catch you all again real soon.

Best wishes to all you guys

Ash

Hi Ash

The whole medication and anti-depressant thing is a minefield. Post traumatic stress disorder is extremely common after SAH and anti depressants can help with this. I was pretty much like your mum towards the whole medication thing, but after experiencing the emotional trauma I went through after, I would have taken anything the Docs gave me to stop me feeling the way I did. I felt pretty much the same about counselling too, but after my session I realised that it was the best thing I could have done.

It is worth mentioning your concerns to your Dad and Sister - you never know, they may be thinking the same thing.

I hope your mum continues to improve - it sounds like she's making good progress.

Take care of you

Hi Ash

I've developed a whole new perspective upon depression post SAH.

When the doctors told me in the early stages of my recovery that depression was common amongst SAH survivors, I replied that it would not happen to me.

Your Mother is experiencing a worse trauma than most survivors because her life has changed drastically.

The only reason I didn't commence anti depressants is because I was able to visit friends and email people on this site; but your Mother can't do this, bless her.

I'm no doctor, but I have no aversion to the concept of anti depressants. Having been through ill health, I am in favour of taking anything which makes the road to recovery easier. We take pills for headaches; why not for our emotions?

I accept that an anti depressant is not a magic wand and it won't make everything in your Mother's life suddenly brilliant; but it may make her a fraction more resilient, which in turn may help recovery. It may give her that little boost to try and feed herself or to try and speak more.

When we're at a low ebb it's hard to find the motivation to do anything and recovery can be impeded. Depression made me feel listless, tired and defeatist. The happier I became, the more I physically improved.

Your concerns about anti depressants are totally understandable, but I hope speaking about it here helps.

Lynne

Hi Ash, its good that your mum is making progress.I am quite sure once you have spoken to her consultant and got the ins and outs about why anti depressants would be good at this stage it will become clear as to what to do for the best. Why not ask your own doctor just to put your mind at ease!

Good luck Ash I'm sure you'll do the right thing by your mum once you have all the information you need.

Love and best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all..

Hope you're all doing well.. I've had a few things going on so not been able to post here much but haven't forgotten you all and appreciate your feedback and responses as always.

Well mum is doing ok..she's now on a soft food diet and is still managing to whisper a few words..she can answer simple questions and count, do the alphabet and when i leave at night she manages to say "goodnight and drive carefully!!"..typical of her to think of me even when she's so ill :) She's got movement in her left arm, but as yet not too much else altho they are saying she's doing a bit better in the physio so hopefully things might improve on that front.

As for her next move i really don't know. The consultant from Northwick Park hospital was of the opinion that it might be too soon and too intensive for her to be there. So now we have a visit on Monday to the Homerton Regional Neuro-Rehab Unit to see what they think. If she's not suitable for that then i'm not sure where she'll go next which is a bit of a worry.

She seems a bit tired out this week, but i know they've been doing a fair bit of physio with her and they say she's doing well.

Skippy/Lin -Thanks for the excellent advice on the anti-depressants..as you both said anything that can help her feel better is probably a good thing.. She's not a naturally depressive person at all but she has suffered an extreme trauma so if anti depressants can help then i'm all for trying it. Hopefully she'll get the same sort of benefit from them as you both seem to have done :-D

Maggie - Good idea, i did actually visit my doctor when my mum was first ill, so it might be useful to go back and have a chat with him as well.

Hope all of you guys are doing well and i'll speak to you all again soon!

Ash

One thing i wanted to ask is if anyone has any exercises or anything that can help regain voice or strengthen the vocal chords?

Mum can talk but it's only a whisper and i was wondering if anyone here had any tips or advice for how to make it louder and regain volume in her voice?

She's working with a speech therapist as well so hopefully that will help and i'll get a nice loud hello one day soon!!

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I'm afraid I'm no help - my dad had his vocal chords paralysed by intubation and never spoke above a whisper again :( My mum, however, after her stroke, has gone from strength to strength thanks to the speech therapist, which she goes to even now, 4 years on. Patience, my friend, patience x

Hi Ash,

Sorry I can't help with your question re.voice strengthening. I am sure the speech therapist will do all they can to help your mum - have you talked to them to see if there is anything you can do to help when you visit your mum?

Sounds like your mum is doing well.

Good luck for her continued recovery, and hope you find out soon where she will go next.

Kel x

Evening all..

Hope you all had a nice weekend..well we've got a little day trip tmrw to the RNRU at Homerton hospital. Don't know what they'll say but there's no point fretting about it, we'll just have to deal with whatever happens. At least my Mum gets a little outing to sunny(hopefully!) East London :)

KelBel - I did talk to the speech therapist and she's given us some exercises to do liking trying to make mum cough and build up her ability to make noises from her throat. Then there's one where she has to blow a tissue and see how hard she can expel air. Plus we've got a little workbook of questions and pictures etc to go through. It's a bit like being back at school but my Mum was a teacher for 30 years so she'll enjoy it :-D x

JayKay - Sorry to hear about your Dad, that's very unfortunate. Great news about your mum tho :-D The therapist did say she didn't think there was anything wrong with my mum's vocal chords it's maybe more a case of her not being strong enough to actually make a noise above a whisper. Like you say patience and more patience is the answer x

Take care all and i'll speak to you all soon and let you know how things are going.

Ash

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again everyone.

I know it's been a long break but just letting you all know my mum is doing ok. She wasn't accepted by Homerton but she has been accepted by the Heathside neurodisability unit at Blackheath. So that is now where they plan to send her. It's not ideal as we live in North London and that's a very long way away but there doesn't appear to be an option nearer us.

Other than that mum is getting a bit more speech and awareness back. She's still whispering rather than talking and appears medically stable. Movement wise she's got a good left arm and a bit of movement in her left leg but her right side is still not really moving so she's quite restricted still. More physio input at Blackheath might help that i hope.

She does appear a bit brighter and happier and she's usually got a smile for everyone who stops to talk or say hi. She is able to read and is quite alert and orientated. She is suffering from dyspraxia but the Speech and language therapist is working and she does seem to be doing a bit better. Her appetite is great, she's back on most normal foods and polishing meals off pretty well :-D

So right now it's just a question of waiting for her to go the rehab centre. I do have some worries about it but we don't seem another option for her and at least she'll have her own room there. We can decorate that and make it as homely as possible i hope.

Anyway i've not forgotten you all and all your kind words and help won't ever be forgotten. Hope everyone is doing well and i'll try not to leave it so long next time!

Ash.

Hello Ash

That is great news. I am glad your mum is responding well to physio and treatment, and eating so well again now.

It is a shame she will have to be moved to unit far from you (not sure how far that is though) but that is great that you can decorate it and make it as homely and comfortable as possible for her.

It sounds like she is being very positive which will help speed up recovery for her, and things are definitely sounding very positive for her.

Wishing your mum all the best during her continued recovery. Hope you are well too.

Kel x

Hi Ash,

Nice to hear from you again and very good to hear your Mum is doing ok, she has come a long way since you first started posting on here which is most encouraging.

The fact that she is eating her meals well is a good step forward and hopefully other things including her speech, will continue to improve over time.

I hope she will be happy at the rehab unit - just a shame it is a bit further away for you.

Will await your next update in due course,

Take Care,

Sarah.

I have been reading your posts about your mum,and what a rollercoaster it has been for your mum and yourselves.

Its nice to read your updates on your mums continuing progress, shes done fantastic,shes fighting really hard yous must be so proud of her

Sound as though she has got a lot of love and support around her,she will know that

Look after yourselves too, try to rest up when possible to recharge

Look forward to reading how your mums progress goes on

sending hugs and best wishes to yous all xx

Welcome to the wonderful site. I only found this place about a week before I went into hospital, for coiling, on Aug 20th. I also had a SH during the operation. I am recoverying well. Everyone makes you feel that you are not alone on here. We are all with you all the way, as we have been for each other.

Look after yourself, take care Love Sonia xxx

That's great news Ash. I know how awful it is to be so far away from the rehab place though: my mum lives in France and her rehab was in Normandy... miles away from any of the family, even those who live in France :( However, it was fab, so I hope your mum comes on in leaps and bounds. Hugs!

Hi Ash! So good to hear news of your mom's progress! Thanks for the updates. I'm sorry the rehab place is not closer to you. That makes it a bit challenging, to say the least. I hope you are doing well, also. Still keeping you, your mom, and family in my thoughts and prayers :wink:

Look forward to more good news from you!!!

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks..

Great to read your messages as always and i hope you're all doing well.

Well since i was last here there was a bit of a re-think over plans for my mum and after visiting Blackheath i wasn't sure that was the right environment for her. So basically i refused a place there and we asked the Royal Hospital for neuro-disability in Putney if they could admit her. We had initially applied there but were told the wait was too long but after a lot of emailing and phone calling i'm pleased to say she was accepted and moved there this week.

It's no nearer than Blackheath but i just felt that it's a better place for her and she would be happier there. She seems to have settled in well there and the staff seem lovely. I can't fault the hospital so far it seems to have pretty much everything she'll need for rehab.

Mum seems happy with the choice and she's certainly in good spirits. She's eating and drinking really well and the speech is coming along but her voice is still very whispery.. hopefully the Speech Therapy there will help with that. Movement wise her left leg seems to be coming back a little but her right side is still rather stubborn but her left arm is good. I really like what i've seen of the physio and OT stuff at the Royal so i'm hoping she'll make some good progress with that there. I must say it's nice to see her sat up in bed watching tv again and reading the papers :)

The travel is a long journey, and my dad struggles with it, but we're all convinced the Royal is the right place for mum which is the main thing. We'll just have to pace ourselves a bit and my dad can take a few more days off to rest.

So we're onto the next stage with mum and it's all quite exciting. A new place will hopefully stimulate her a bit and there's certainly more for her to do at this hospital and i hope she'll be happy and make as much progress as possible :) I can't thank the staff enough at the Whittington tho they really were good to us, letting us stay well after visiting hours, and helping my mum loads.

Lovely to hear from all of you as always and i hope you're all doing well. The nights are drawing in a bit now so i hope you're all looking after yourselves and staying warm and safe :)

I'll speak to you all soon

Ash

Edited by Ash

Hi Ash

That is brilliant news about your mum, and well done for persevering and getting her a place at this hospital, that must make you feel so much better that she is in place you feel comfortable with.

It sounds like she is continuing to improve so much, and I can't wait to hear more from you about your mums recovery.

Take care

kel x

Ash great that your mum is a hospital you are ahppy with, it muxt be a huge weight of your mind. It sounds liek she is mking huge progress & with the right treatment shoudl come on leaps & bounds. It is very tiring visiting every day so it being a fair way away from you is hard so make sure you & your Dad take some tme out for yourselves.

Hi Ash,

Great to have an update from you. So pleased you have your Mum somewhere that you know she will be happy. She has done really well so far and I hope she continues to make even more progress over the coming weeks.

Take care and I hope your Dad gets some well earned rest too.

Sarah