sleeping problem

Hi guys its me ranting again.

does anybody have problems when sleeping. I go all day reasonably okay then when try to sleep, that fist bit when your trying to go off to sleep i get sort of jerking awake feelings.

Its almost like im having mini fits but i know when there coming. It makes me jerk awake which in turn scares me so my heart gos fast and I sweat. This goes on for some time sme nights but when i eventually go to sleep im fine.

Its almost like my insides are jumping each time. Its probably another side effect but is so hard to explain.

Im not going to doctor as he dosnt have a clue and I cant describe it well.

Maybe somebody has a similar thing.

Tracy S xx

Hi guys its me ranting again.

does anybody have problems when sleeping. I go all day reasonably okay then when try to sleep, that fist bit when your trying to go off to sleep i get sort of jerking awake feelings.

Its almost like im having mini fits but i know when there coming. It makes me jerk awake which in turn scares me so my heart gos fast and I sweat. This goes on for some time sme nights but when i eventually go to sleep im fine.

Its almost like my insides are jumping each time. Its probably another side effect but is so hard to explain.

Im not going to doctor as he dosnt have a clue and I cant describe it well.

Maybe somebody has a similar thing.

Tracy S xx

hiya Tracy, i have the very same feeling when going to sleep, i been told that is anxity, and maybe a side effect of SAH. i had mine in june 2010, my heart races and i have hot sweats too, more so at night and if i wake up in the middle of the night. hopefully it will improve with time and i hope yours does too. Take care

Rhiann

Hi Tracy

I definitely had that within the first few months after my SAH.

Almost like my body was having an electric shock! But I did get it every now and again prior to my SAH too!

I believe it is anxiety, and I haven't had it for many months now.

Hope it eases in time. Are you having any counselling? I had 2 lots of counselling this year which helped ease the anxiety enormously.

Kel x

Hallo Rhian,
And a very warm welcome to the site for a friend down under! I love Perth, and have fond memories of the city. Breakfast at the Indiana Tea House in Cottesloe is a favourite of mine!

I had my SAH in June this year (17th) and have experienced strange reactions on trying to fall asleep. With me, as I am trying to drop off I suddenly gasp for air - a deep gulp as if it is my last breathe. It used to happen every night until the last couple of weeks, when it has become less frequent. I never had this before the SAH and I have assumed this is stress-related.

I hope yours becomes less frequent in time too!
All the best,
Mace x

Great - hope it helps! I have been told more about relaxation techniques by the Fatigue Management woman, and I realise now that even though I know about them, I don't apply them like I should! We live and learn, eh?! Hope you fall off to sleep easier now :) (ooh and I forgot to say but a warm bath about an hour before you go to bed should trigger sleepiness too)

• 4 years later...

Hi folks. I'm new to Btg and with reading some of your stories I can relate to quit a lot them, glad it's not only me these things happen to,I also experience strange reactions when trying to sleep,especially jerking feelings!!! Glad to know its a side affect xx

Hi Brenda,

Welcome to BTG.  Yes, sleep is a common problem but it isn't the end of the world.  It comes along with fatigue.  In some people it gets better over time, others adjust to how it affects them individually, but it is a facet of life after a SAH.

Maybe over time the jerking will subside.  If you are really struggling to the point where it is affecting your quality of life, go back to your GP or better still the hospital where you were treated.  They can sometimes point you in the right direction!

Macca

I'm just going to chime in here .... I still have some sleeping problems, but if you're experiencing anything like restless legs/muscle twitching, it can be a side effect of a brain problem which may be short term, but it can also be caused by lack of iron, especially for the Ladies.

I can't offer medical advice, but I was found to be iron deficient. I also had heavy periods at that point and my muscles used to twitch away at night and it would drive me absolutely nuts.

I was eventually put on to iron tablets after seeing my GP and after having a series of blood tests .... and it helped solve the problem.

I was also found to be severely calcium deficient and to the point where I was about to be admitted to hospital and put on to a drip.

I would always say to every member, that don't ever put everything down to the SAH, especially if you're a female ... Periods and the menopause or peri-menopause can give you symptoms that you might attribute to the SAH, but something that you might not have to put up with if you seek help.

Sometimes a simple blood test is all that's needed .... I've learnt the hard way over the years and in my early recovery years, I did put everything down to the SAH when it was something that could easily be sorted out or at least helped, rather than struggling.

I've encountered the peri-menopause and some of the symptoms can often mirror the SAH fallout too .... with trouble sleeping, fatigue etc and I would encourage anybody not to "normalise" symptoms but go to your GP and rule out anything else that may or may not be the cause and not struggle if you don't have to. 

xx

• Like 7

Always see Doc first Rhian,

After I had a shunt put in and I knew what was what, I noticed my mouth used to twitch,  as if I was having a

seizure and I read up on my pills and one lot stated they give you the twitches (My words).

So check up on your pills and ask Doc if you can get side effects like you are getting.

Keep Well and relax if possible.

Regards

Winb143 xx

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the sleep problems may well be the worst after effects of my sah, it drives me insane. If I have a decent night, I can pay for it with several bad ones. Last night I was awake until 02:30 and then got up at 06:30 for work. This does not work for me! My GP insisted that I could not have any medication because sleep issues after sah need to settle down on their own.

I saw a consultant October 2014 for the first time since the bleed. I left hospital 02.09.11. She was surprised that no medication had been prescribed and asked me to see my GP for Amitriptyline. I almost felt smug when I went to see him for the prescription! Well, more fool me. I slept well for about 9 nights. My GP had advised that I could go as far as to triple to dose if need be. I doubled the dose and slept well for almost a week before reverting to the old routine. I then tripled the dose and it has made no difference whatsoever

It perhaps makes it worse that my partner could fall asleep instantly on a bed of nails....I'm a bit jealous!

• Like 1

Hi folks yes sleeping can sometimes be a nightmare, was told by the consultant to up my amitriptyline at night, sure gives me a good night sleep, only one thing sometimes have a problem getting up in the morning !! Can't have it both ways I suppose!!! X

• Like 1

Dawn and Brenda

There are plenty of other sleeping aids other than Amitriptyline. Go back to your GPs and request something else. I personally cannot take Amitriptyline as it makes me so drowsy the following day. Zopiclone is so much better with no morning 'hangover' though as it is now a controlled drug GPs are not so happy to prescribe. Personally I would rather have a good nights sleep than a morning of - 'omg what day of the week is it and who am I?.'

Clare

Edited by Skippy
Removed "better than Amitriptyline" as denotes medical advice not an opinion

I still get those brain 'Zings' while I am awake too.  They occur less frequently now, but they are annoying.  I too have issues with sleep and have tried multiple things and I chart them all to no avail.

I do find that if I walked a bunch the day before, I almost get restless legs.  (I had them in the hospital even as I was paralyzed!  Strange a paralyzed leg just shooting up and down.)  The trick for me is to lay on my side with my legs curled up instead of stretching them out for some reason.  The Zings, I just let them happen...they alert me to the fact that I am tired and I've found that I still fall asleep at some point even though it can be annoying.

~Kris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brenda/guys,

I can totally empathise with you on this, my sleeping pattern has never settled down, 15 months post SAH. Last week I was awake for 48 hours. I have taken sleeping meds Zoplicone etc, I get a few nights ok then it doesn't work. Even 20mg Tamazepam I was still awake.

Was back at Doc last week and we have went back to the drawing board, the dreaded Amitriptylene! I have been on and off it, 1 or 2 a night for pain - and I had a bad reaction when I stopped taking it, I have no life, this past weekend was spent resting as I was absolutely exhausted and it was so gorgeous outside! Gp has now said to up it to 4 even 5. It's so not the route I want to go down, but I am so desperate I have to give it a try. I didn't get to sleep until 5.30 am this morning and slept until 11, then I can't motivate myself at all to move. It's really getting me down.

Seeing Doc again tomorrow, she did suggest the sleep clinic, if anyone has been down that road I would appreciate any advice. I have my doubts as it is almost certainly the brain injury that has caused the insomnia, so how can you fix that

So sorry I can't give you some positive feedback honey, just know you're so not alone..
Di xx