What were you doing when your aneursym burst

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a church meeting.

I had just been driving minutes before and I would have been road-kill and maybe even caused another car to crash too! That was the second time I had to face my possible death, but get away with life. The 3rd was in the ER, the headache started again - just like the killer one at church 10/10 and then I was rendered motionless, speechless, and incontinent...I had last rights read to me by my pastor (who came with me to the ER). How nice that I can remember it all - NOT!

~Kris

It was the middle of winter here in Michigan. I had just come home from a really good run outside and was eating lunch when friends called

to ask if my hubby and I wanted to go cross country skiing. About five minutes into the trail, I started getting tremendous pressure in my head and

couldn't move my neck or shoulders. I then got a bad headache and fell to the ground. My friends and hubby got me to the car and the ER. What a surreal day it was!

On the cross trainer at the gym - only 5 minutes into my work out and my head just 'popped' - felt really strange - almost like a veil came down in front of me - i stumbled off the equiment and thought maybe I should go home - walked past the reception desk - looked at the girls and said my head hurts - then the real pain started - next thing I know I'm on the floor - paramedics asking me questions and all I can do is demand they phone my partner and let him know whats happened and remember being really worried that I had become eplileptic as could hear them talking about me fitting.

Ended up in local hospital vaguely remember being told I had had a bleed on the brain and my partner squeezing my hand- I just muttered "thats quite serious isn't it?" and then next thing is waking up having been moved to John Radcliffe Neuro, both my sister and partner looking terrified and me not really taking in the seriousness of what was going on.

Even going into surgey for the coiling - I remember pleading with the anaethatist to just put me sleep as I was just sooo tired- never occured to me that I might not come back - apparently was the worst 5 hours of my partner and sisters life, waiting .....

Gosh, 10 months on and I still struggle to believe all this has happened - will it ever really sink in - the fatique reminds me my brain needs more rest, and my memory is no where near as good - anxiety is controlled by anti D's and I think I have finally stopped worrying that every headache or pain is another SAH.

I began suffering more frequent migraines the week leading up to my SAH. I visited the GP who fobbed me off, even though my BP was extremely high:-( I had had tingling sensations in my arm and foot also but he sent me home saying it was simply stress:-(

On the Sunday we were in the car on our way to a dog show (we exhibit our cocker spaniels) we only drove about 1 mile and I felt the most excruciating pain. I vaguely remember vomiting then that was the last of my memories until about 3 1/2 months later.

After I was discharged from hospital I asked my husband how he had gotten me plus the dogs out of the car when my SAH hit, apparently I had walked myself out of the car whilst chatting to him.

Unbelievable how the mind can protect you isn't it.

I had had my gall bladder removed on the friday and they were going to send me home same day but I felt unwell and had chest pain and nose bleed. They kept me in overnight and i went home on saturday still feeling unwell. On monday evening I tried to go the loo but due to the operation and the codeine I had been taking for the pain I struggled. I had almighty pain and collapsed on the floor and tried to crawl to bedroom for my mobile but didn't make it, I must have passed out as I don't remember anything else. My daughter found me later when she came home from work and shouted for hubby who was at the lake in front of us fishing. She said I answered all the questions the paramedics asked and was conscious until my coiling the next day but I don't remember any of it thankfully. I can't help thinking that if I had not been discharged from the hospital so quickly after gall bladder op would it still have happened - suppose i'll never know?

I had stabbing pains behind my left eye on and off for over 2 months then had initial bleed during a meeting at work. Mine was a slow leaker as was in local hospital for nearly a week before getting transferred to Walton then having to have an emergency craniotomy as was in danger of having a much larger bleed.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Juliett I was chasing. A ewe who was having a problem lambing, bang Ifelt I had been punched in the head. I thought it must be migrain, I still managed to catch th ewe with the help of my husband he does not run, and then draw 3 lamb could not believe what was happening to me. I agreed to. go to hospital. The next day as the pain was so bad and was tranferred to the neuro unit at the HEath hosptal CArdiff. Love jil

had just had my son, and was recovering (I thought) from labour...

Can't remember anything for about 24 hrs and didn't see my son again for a week..

That was nearly 7 months ago, and I am getting there..

If I could just do something headaches !!!

First post on here although, finding you guys a couple of months ago has been a real blessing..

• 4 weeks later...

I was cleaning the house - hoovering to be precise - and just thinking about the huge amount of stressful work that I had to start as soon as I had finished hoovering. Having done ridiculous amounts of hours at work that week and feeling quite ****** about it I really was not in the mood to start doing some more. I guess that my brain popping means that I never did do it - my work laptop has sat in my office for over 5 months!!

I just felt the need to squeeze my head as it was trying to explode out of my skull - it was such a painful and wierd experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I was standing in a movie theater holding a diet coke when I suddenly got the worst headache of my life.

I have a HUGE pain tolerance, so I ignored it, went and saw the movie...even though the light and sound made me want to throw up and I was in so much pain I could hardly breathe. I didn't want to inconvenience my husband.

Took me a number of more hours before a friend finally threatened to beat me with a stick if I didn't go to the ER. I just assumed I was getting my first migraine or something. Silly me!

had just had my son, and was recovering (I thought) from labour...

Can't remember anything for about 24 hrs and didn't see my son again for a week..

That was nearly 7 months ago, and I am getting there..

If I could just do something headaches !!!

First post on here although, finding you guys a couple of months ago has been a real blessing..

Bless you! I hear you big time (but not too loud, please) with the headaches. I'm 9 months or so post and I am still dealing with just nasty headaches. Have one right now. Seems I always head over here whenever I'm dealing with something.

Congratulations on your son, but he didn't have to make QUITE that exciting of an entrance!

My kids are either of the fur kind (that's Dot in my picture, and I also have three other dogs and two cats) or the someone else's kind. I'm a high school IT teacher aka "Nerd Herder."

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I was exciting enough to be not lifting weights while sitting on the toilet:lol: I was being exceedingly boring and had got up to do the dishes. :frown: It was the text book head explosion.

Second one was a bit more exciting I was running late for a meeting (not so text book on the way up in the lift my neck pinged) But knew something really wrong, traumatised the folk I was meeting think they thought I was having a stroke. Thankfully the lady I was meeting used to be a nurse so she had the good sense to call an ambulance. (definitely a case of being in the right place at the right time). I'm a very lucky girl!

I had just driven down a busy dual carriageway to a hospital appointment, and the moment my head popped I was in my appointment with a Consultant Opthalmologist. At the moment he asked me to put my chin on that frame thingy I remember saying, in a minute 'cos my neck really hurts. I then put my chin on the frame and said 'and now we're in trouble, 'cos I can't see you'.

The lovely Consultant said that my eyes rolled into the back of my head, and when the shock wore off he knew exactly what was happening. He had me taken for a CT scan and the SAH bleed was found within the hour - I was blue-lighted to QMC for coiling the next day.

All I can say is my guardian angels were working overtime that day. I live alone, and had this happened at home I would have been in real trouble...

Mace x

It was the night before we were due to fly home from Tenerife! I was having a shower - alone :wink:

I really thought someone must have broken in and cracked me on the back of the head with a baseball bat!!

A local doctor gave me a shot of something in the bum and said I had probably been in the sun too long. I somehow got home with a terrible headache and hiding from as many lights as I could, worrying really, flying with a head that had exploded, but Im still here and thank whoever was looking down on me every day :-) x

• 2 months later...
It was the night before we were due to fly home from Tenerife! I was having a shower - alone :wink:

I really thought someone must have broken in and cracked me on the back of the head with a baseball bat!!

A local doctor gave me a shot of something in the bum and said I had probably been in the sun too long. I somehow got home with a terrible headache and hiding from as many lights as I could, worrying really, flying with a head that had exploded, but Im still here and thank whoever was looking down on me every day :-) x

I'm having to bite my tongue as I'll be slagging off all the Dr's in the world but surely a massive headache is enought to raise alarm bells to these DRS????

My wife SAH burst when in Cyprus, A&E said she was drunk and spent too much time in the Sun...then we had a referral to a private hospital who ran an MRI scan and identified the SAH. From the time happeneing to me finding out what happened = 4 days :frown:

I'm having to bite my tongue as I'll be slagging off all the Dr's in the world but surely a massive headache is enought to raise alarm bells to these DRS????

:frown:

Mark sadly misdiagnosis is all too common, I think at 6 weeks before my anni was finally found I might hold the record but as my anni hadn't burst they had only a headache & eye pain as a symptom (although mine were classic signs of an anni). I hope if mine had burst they would have found it quicker as would have shown more physical signs. Quite a few people on here were told it was migraine (as I was too although I was told cluster headaches, nerve spasms amongst other things!):crazy::crazy:

Fascinating! I was in a very stressful temp job at the hospital, and that day had been the worst day for weeks. I even had an appointment with HR at lunchtime to discuss my horrible line manager. Had a bad headache all day, and had had a bleed in the eye a couple of days before. I went to Pilates anyway (I'd paid, I wasn't going to miss it) but while they all did energetic stuff like rolling from their backs to a standing position I just lounged on the mat.

Got home, sat down, took a sip of Diet coke and bam. Like someone else said, I felt like I couldn't move my shoulders or neck, and my head felt like it was in a pressure cooker. Then I started feeling sick. Then I said to my family, call 999. The paramedics said "do you want to sleep it off or go to hospital" and I said I don't WANT to go to hospital but I must. I pointed to my head with my right hand and said "something's wrong in there" (or words to that effect). I knew I had to get it check out. Thank GOODNESS!!

(I've read elsewhere that Coca Cola is sometimes a factor. I also know, from work, that Coke of the other variety is another one, and a friend's brother in law died like that - massive SAH, was brain dead by the time he got to hospital)

Looks like I was a classic and asking for it! Almost one month now -

1) I'd had a strong very good coffee and cigarette

then

2) On the bog but not straining

and

3) Feeling really angry about someone.

and BANG!

I do love my mornings, but it is becoming a very scary daily ritual. I hope it gets better because I can't give up the coffee!

Good luck to everyone else.

Inez

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Late joining this thread to.

I was in the gym working to avoid the heart attack that all the men in my family have had.

On the cross trainer ten minutes in and beating my personal best. then "POP"!

Was very sick. But no headache....?

Paramedics said that I had a lactic acid build up. So I drove home (being sick into the towel on my lap).

Mrs took me to local A&E. There I got told that I had an inner ear infection (labrynthitis).

A week later I was diagnosed with the SAH. But not before I had chopped down several trees with an axe, smoked loads of ciggies, had a couple of beers and driven to lots of places. I am not the only one who is lucky to be alive after my SAH. I think,

Hi Graham G

My Surgeon said try not to get too stressed out so it could be stress ?? You never know !

Or Scoobs reasons lol ~ Keep Well

Regards

WinB143

Forgot to put "D" at the end of could and spotted another mistake ahhhhhh

Edited by Winb143