New Member...Davie.H

Davie.H

Hello Everyone

Was good to find this site, I have been struggling to explain to people just how I am feeling, or they dont understand, , its so good to know I am not alone in dealing with it.

I had a SAH in the middle of the night and my first recollection of anything was when this fantastic surgeon Joe was explaining to me what coil embolisation procedure was and next thing I knew I was in HDU.

That was back in july 2015, I am still feeling tired at times, short term memory is poor and I cry a lot does anyone else still feel same way?

Also I have told I cannot start work befor Jan2016, seems such a long time to go back to work but does this mean it was more serious than I first thought?

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Welcome to BTG glad you have found us and now realise that you are not alone. You are only 3 months down the line, early days and the emotional bit is quite normal. I used to cry a lot to start with but now only dissolve when I am tired ( I am 8 months post bleed). My memory is still pretty poor, but I have devised methods to help myself and they do help.

I went back to work after 3 months but on a phased return and am still not full time. I am hoping to achieve my my intended hours by the beginning of November, albeit slightly less hours than I did before the SAH (41 hours a week).

Sah is serious full stop, it is a medical emergency. I read recently that only 4% of people ever get back to total full functioning after such an event. How true that is I don't know, but I know I was lucky to survive, so if I end up with a few minor problems I will be very happy.I did not have any coiling but had Hydrocephalus and and an EVD fitted for a week, consequently no driving me for yet. 

Keep drinking plenty of fluids and get lots of rest, things will get better!

Clare xx

• Like 3

Hello Dave and welcome to BTG. Glad you have found the site.

I think it is quite normal to feel emotional after an SAH. I had mine back in January and since I came out of hospital I have had periods where I have cried for no reason - it has got better over time though. I have been in rehab since May to deal with the issues I have been left with and one of the people I saw said that feeling emotional was quite normal - part of it is a reaction to the traumatic event that has occurred and part of it is chemical due to what has happened to your brain, therefore it is both psychological and physiological. If you are unsure about anything though then do go and see your GP.

In terms of work - when I was discharged my family was told by the neurosurgeon that they were not sure if I would be able to return to my previous profession (as a teacher) and that I would not be able to attempt it until September at the earliest. As I have said I have been in rehab for the past few months and have just started going into work with my OT to do assessments and get ready for me to start a phased return.

When I first left the hospital I thought that time-scale I was given was ridiculous and that I would be back at work much sooner than that but now I can see that I needed that time to recover. Take the time you need to recover and look after yourself.

Gemma

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your story, as you will find from many posts after a SAH your emotions can be all over, my GP said that it can be as result of post traumatic stress as this event is such a shock. I went back to work after five and half months, like Clare on a phased return. I am now back to full time. My advice would not be to rush your return as it can be hard, my first full days were really hard and I still have days when I feel exhausted. My short term memory is still affected but worse when tired.

You will get there just pace yourself and accept this has been one massive shock to your brain, which in essence is about everything you are! I hope you find some helpful advice here and a place to offload as it is difficult often to share worries or how you feel with people who often don't understand, I certainly have appreciated this forum.

Regards

Sharon

• Like 3

Hi Davie,

Welcome to BTG, this is a brilliant place to come, you will find people here with a wealth 

of knowledge about what you are going through.

I`m 16 months into my recovery and although things have improved I still have short term

memory problems, what you are feeling right now is pretty much what we have all felt after

the event.

Please don`t suffer in silence, make an appointment and see your GP, they will be able to

decide if you need a little help, I had some talking therapy after mine and it helped me a lot.

Your Brain has suffered a huge trauma and that in turn affects your body and emotions also, 

it`s really early days for you yet, I was told to make sure I drank plenty of water as this can help 

with the headaches, make sure you listen to your body and rest when you need to.

Above all be kind to yourself, it takes time to come to terms with what has happened and it also

takes time to recover, you will get there.

This forum has helped me immensely since I joined, everyone is so welcoming and very understanding

as I`m sure you will find out as time goes on.

I wish you well on you recovery journey, look forward to hearing more from you

Best Wishes

Michelle

• Like 6

Hello Davie,

I had an SAH in 2009 and a shunt fitted for hydrocephalus in 2010. 

It has been a long road as I had complications but I am here and thanks to this site and the people on it I can laugh again.

I wont mention my singing, oops I  just did !!

There is a life after SAH honestly and it may take some time, but you will get there, although you may not feel like it now.

Please do one thing for me and see if it works okay here goes, ready  feel your bottom lip, touch it, have you touched it yet ?

Okay now turn the corners of your mouth upwards to your eyes...up more !!  until you feel a smile on your face.

Do that a lot morning and evenings start the day off with a smile, trust me you will feel a fool but you will feel

so good inside.  

I'll get you onto singing later xx

Best Wishes and as the song goes  "Don't worry be happy"  now smile xx

Winb143 xx

• Like 6

Hi Davie,

Welcome to BTG!  We're blokes and we're not supposed to cry are we?  Wrong!  I cried a lot in the early stages too.  It's natural and it's a bit like a cleansing process - you need to do it so do it when the need takes you.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing it and it's a part of the healing process.

I went back to work after six months off - and it was way too early really.  If and when you do go back do it on a phased basis and take all the time you need to.  You may find you need to do other duties, or the same duties but in a less strenuous manner or with less quantity. You will find your own way, but don't attempt to do what you can't handle!

Do what you can but in your own time, your health and well-being are much too important to play around with.

Fatigue is common after SAH.  As for short term memory, that's a common problem also, so try writing things down and keep repeating them over a few days so that you commit them to your long term memory.  It may work or it may not but at least you can try - it works to some extent for me.

Good luck 

Macca

• Like 6

Hi Davie and a warm welcome to BTG :)

All those after effects you describe are experienced by most of us who have had the misfortune to suffer a sah.  You should find that these all improve over time, for me the unexplained crying lasted the shortest, followed by the tiredness (that was years not months) and well, the short term memory that's still a 'work in progress' - sometimes I think it doesn't work or progress!

I'm sure you will find reading previous posts on this forum will reassure you that your recovery is following a similar pattern to many other members, past and present.

I wish you well and as for work, I think the amount of time you were told to take off is the most realistic that I've heard anyone being told. I've heard of people being told they can return in a few weeks, a month, 3 months - I think sometimes these figures are plucked out of a hat by those who say them and I doubt that any of them have actually had to recover from a sah. I personally took 5 months off, but we're all different and unique, so there can't be a set rule.

A subarachnoid haemorrhage is a serious event, but the severity is often graded on a scale which I'm sure will be noted on your medical file.

Sarah

• Like 6

Hi David. Emotional lability is the official term for it and it's very common post stroke. I would see a baby, puppy, a nice book even and cry...yes seriously, but it got better as Sarah said quite quickly and although I'm quicker to cry I think that's becuase I know bottling it up makes my head hurt.

Take care. Glad it's of help here, someone will always be able share an experience and offer an encouraging word or two.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, it is sòooooooo good to know I'm not alone, even my lovely wife now realises what I'm going through, she seems more contented now and understands much more by reading all of your posts
As for Winb..........I cant sing but can whistle. ?..lol

• Like 2

Davie

Sooooooooooo glad you have found us - even Win! lol! She's the life and soul with all her singing.

We're all here alive and kicking, or in my case back running! It may take me an age to type my posts as I have to keep going back and correcting my missing letters - lo...ll - but I am soooooooo glad I have BTG.

Clare xx

p.s. got a bargain on wine in a closing co-op today, can you tell??? ^_^  ^_^  

• Like 2

Davie,

Have you tried my smile yet?? if so did it work lol (Truth time)

Lovely baby xx

My hubby has cut down on the drink and we both liked a drop of wine before my SAH. Bottles !!

I take my own supply of decaff drinks when I go to parties and I still get up and sing, before I had to be drunk before I could sing.

I must admit I sounded better drunk ha ha  as I sang at my Sis in laws party and I was chronic.

I do hope your recovery is coming along okay Davie never give up and always remember to think about happy times like when you and wife or family laughed so much you cried but in a good way xx

Now get out there and no stress  xx Good luck to you on recovery xx

All the Best

Win  xx xx.   Note: When you are down do the lip thing and smile or whistle (bet he is a good singer really) ha x

• Like 4

Your nuts.......in a good way though....you definitely make me smile and what an attitude and that is definitely something I can take Strength from.

Ps, I definitely cannot sing but love all kinds of music, in fact I have not been to a live concert in years but im going to Andre Rieu in concert in December (was kinda forced upon me with my wife ) but im sure I will enjoy it just the same)
Take care

• Like 3

Hi Davie,

Win makes everyone smile, she has been a big inspiration to me during my recovery,

If you get a chance, have a read of her story, she is one remarkable lady.

Hope you enjoy your concert, I`m like you I enjoy all kinds of music.

Hope you are feeling better in yourself

Love

Michelle

• Like 2

We are all here for each other thanks to Karen and her family.

It is good when you can read about an Anni and smile about it.

Who thought we would ever smile about what happened to us, yet because of BTG we can and do.

So all of us when down think of some of the silly posts we have written, and smile at ourselves xx

My Brother thinks Andre Rieu  is great and he likes all different music. 

From Barbershop singing and pub songs.

He sang to me when I was ill,  also my sisters sang.  lol I couldn't stop them ha ha  joke xx

I came around after shunt,  singing irish songs like I'll take you home again Kathleen lol

We got a 2nd chance so we cannot waste it..Can we?

I Love all my new pals on here so sorry you are all lumbered with me, even you Davie  xx

All smile  when possible and we can beat it xxxx

Be Happy when possible enjoy Andre also xx

Love

Win xx 

• Like 6

I cannot stop smiling now..........many thanks to you all

It is a breath of fresh reading all your posts and positive thinking is the way forward, even though as you all know it can be challanging at times

My new out look is definitely, yesterday you cant change, today is here and take it as comes and as for tomorrow,....wait and see.

Win.....your a star...xx

• Like 6

Well I wouldn't go as far as that but have been known to sing ha ha.  A STAR !! Whooo  hooo .

Go for it Davie, we'll get a song and have it as our song or a saying so that when we get a little scared or afraid we can use it and start laughing at ourselves xx

Be Well All and many thanks to you All

You're All Stars  lol xx xx Just I am the greatest Star Ever ha ha xx  Joking! Has trouble getting head outta door  lol.

Glad you can smile again Davie xx you get better when you smile more xx

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Win

Did you have times when your personality changed?  I am finding that, because im finding it difficult to retain information at times

I get really frustrated and angry with myself......I dont take it out on anyone else, although sometimes I can say things that might not come out the way I intended, then I'm apologetic, I wasn't like this before or is it all part of my recovery,

Davie x

Hi Davie,

Memory problems are very common with the SAH.  Mine was 7 years ago and I still have issues.  For me, it mainly affects the ability to retain new information and is much more pronounced when I am tired.  Yes it is frustrating, sometime embarassing, but with time you learn little tricks to compensate.  I write lots of notes to myself and mentally repeat things.

I also get upset with myself and my husband is always reminding me to stop beating myself up.  It doesn't help, you know.

It really has not been long since your SAH.  I'm sure you are still managing the fatigue, maybe headaches.  It will get better, but you have to understand that your brain suffered a major assault.  Be kind to yourself!

• Like 4

Hi I still have memory issues I still find them frustrating and embarrassing sometimes at work, but I am learning to write more expansive notes and also being explicit to people and asking them to remind me. It is much better than it was so I am hopeful it will continue. Like Colleen suggests you have to be kind and give yourself time.

Regards

Sharon

• Like 2