New intro-Nicola-

Nicola D

Hi. I'm Nicola

I had a SAH 8 weeks ago today whilst I was at work.
I work in the A&E dept of our local hospital so I received very rapid treatment prior to being transferred to Birmingham neuroscience hospital. I have no memory of the events for the first 4 days although apparently I was conscious and talking!

I was discharged 17 days later and feel I have been very lucky. I have no physical deficit and currently just have headaches and fatigue. However, psychologically I am struggling with the 'what ifs' and the fear of recurrence (although I have not been told I have any more aneurysms)

I have already read some posts on this site and have found them encouraging and reassuring.
I look forward to being part of this community

Nicola x

• Like 3

Hi Nicola, 

A warm welcome to the BTG community  - glad you found this site so early on - it's always nice to have contact with others who have been through the same thing.

It was very fortunate that you were working in an A&E department when it happened! Prompt attention is vital yet many, including myself, were delayed in getting to hospital for one reason or another.

It's all a shock, but hopefully you will continue to make good progress over the coming weeks and months.

Take care,

Sarah

• Like 2

Hi Nicola,

Welcome to BTG and glad you feel nearly well !!

I was told by my Surgeon "No Stress"  so I sing and it drives my husband potty lol

Natural to feel apprehensive as it is a scary thing to happen.  Give it time and see how many go on to live a normal life afterwards.  just get better and build yourself up.

It is early days for you, so do not rush it take it easy and be happy as we are the lucky ones .

Lucky for you xx in A & E, guess someone was watching over you xx

Keep well and any rants or worries you have, this is the site to come to xx

All the Best

WinB143

• Like 3

Hi Nicola,

Welcome to BTG sorry that you have had SAH, you have come to the right place,

This is a great community and there are lots of people here who are all willing to help

you through this.

You will find a lot of information and advice, you will also make lots of new friends here,

people who understand what you have been through.

It`s early days for you yet, if I was to give you some advice it would be don't try to do to much,

listen to your body, when you are tired make sure you rest, your body and your brain have suffered

a terrible trauma and it takes time to heal.

The other bit of advice would be make sure you drink plenty of water, it really does help with the headaches.

The road to recovery can be a bit of a bumpy one, but we are here for you.

Hope your recovery journey keeps improving day by day.

Best Wishes

Michelle x

• Like 3

HI Nicola

Warm welcome to the survivors group! BTG has been a god send to me since my Nasah 18 months ago. You are very early in your recovery so as everyone else has said, take it easy, listen to your body and DRINK LOTS of WATER. It can be a lonely recovery as the occurrence of SAH is so rare. But keep coming here to BTG, there is always someone who will answer any questions you have.

You were lucky you worked where you had your Sah, prompt treatment. You don't say what caused it, was it an aneurysm and do you have anymore? I too don't remember much about the first week, but I am assured I was talking - mostly a lot of drivel! My daughter still laughs at some of the things I said.

Take everything slowly, luckily as you work in the NHS you will have great support with your return to work. I have just joined them and found them very supportive. Don't rush back to work, take your time and remember - You are still here, so enjoy life!

Clare xx

• Like 3

Welcome Nicola, pleased you are doing well physically, it is definitely an emotional roller coaster after such an event. I felt exactly the same and I know many members share that experience. It does get better and anxiety does ease but I don't think ever leaves. I guess it is a small price to pay.

As everyone has said take it easy don't try and push things as it does take time. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions as people are happy to share experience and support.
Good Luck for continued recovery and look forward to hearing how you get on

Sharon x

• Like 3

Hi Nicola :)

A very warm welcome to BTG !

Glad you found us and look forward to hearing more from you.

Feel free to ask any questions & join in the daily banter in the Green Room and the Brain Games....we are a friendly bunch !

Take care

Tina xx

• Like 1

Thank you all for your warm welcome

Clare-yes it was an aneurysm. I am not aware that I have any more and I assume they would have told me if I had? I will have another scan in 4 months so perhaps I will find out more then

• Like 1

Hi Nicola!

It sounds as if you are doing all of the right things to take care of yourself and to join a support group such as this. The site has helped me so much. I didn't have a clue about my Sah and what to expect after.

17 days in hospital not bad! Great news on your post sah symptoms and your seeming lack of physical disability. That is so wonderful!

You are a tough little Nicola.

The advice and support from above posts are great. Remember water and if you have concerns or questions, don't rule out seeing your physician.

Please let us know how you are doing. Again...you sound great at such short time after event. Good job!

Much best wishes to you

Carolyn ✌

• Like 4

Hello Nicola and also a warm welcome to BTG....

So glad you discovered this site so early - you will find much to help you on your recovery, and it is great to see how others have coped post SAH.

My wife was also in hospital when she had her SAH, although she was a patient. However it was three and a half years later that I found out about BTG- so grateful to my good friend Winnie for pointing me this way !

I wish you well as you tackle the future- you are in a busy pressured job- don`t push yourself too hard if you find you are sometimes struggling to keep up with your previous work-rate..........Watch out for these warning signs so that you give yourself the best chance to get better.

Subs

• Like 3

Nicola welcome to our little band with readjusted noggins. Take it steady in the coming weeks and months and it's so normal to be worried with any little sensation but if you can just watch and wait and just know that it should pass and if you're worried always just ask here or even better with your treating colleagues.

They won't mind and they will understand, they would do exactly the same if it were them in your shoes, now is not a time to be bashful. Also Find something that relaxes you and helps you do that as well to help you chill a little as you heal, nothing too taxing and short bursts only. 

. It's a little different healing from such an invisible trauma and people will see you and think all is fine, but gentle reminders that you need their patience, their help and support in the coming months to go steady is a good plan and should allow you to take the rest and find the pace you need. 

I can only add just be kind to yourself. 

• Like 3

Hi Nicola

Warm welcome to the site so glad that you found us.

Like the others you were lucky in the right place at the right time, I think everyone fears the what-if syndrome its natural, I think it does ease as time passes..

take things easy rest and relax and keep hydrated..

take care

• Like 1

Welcome Nicola,

Sounds like you are recovering well.  There is a lot of information on there and a lot of support too.  I suffered my NASAH last October.  With the exception of some occasional headaches and some short-term memory problems, I seem to have made a full recovery.  I have also moved beyond worrying about a re occurrence. 

I am one of the lucky ones and sometimes feel guilty to be part of this group.  Others have more difficult and long-term issues to manage. 

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery, both physically and with the emotions and fears that will attack you early on.  Be strong and courageous.

Did I mention I sometimes have short-term memory problems?

Chris

• Like 4