Introducing Myself - Sharon

Guest mojojojo

Guest mojojojo

Hello Everyone,

First may i say what a great seful and insightful place to be . You often feel like your alone in the world when such an eventul and life changing thing happens to you.

My mum Pauline suffered a sah at the age of 60 and just 6 weeks into retirement she spent 11 weeks in Frenchay fighting for survial. My admiration goes to everyone who aided her recovery. Unfortunately after the bleed my mother suffered serious mental health problems and is now being cared for in a Nursing Home.

Her condition is very complicated, and after misdiagnosis they insisted she be cared for in a Psychiatric unit,a very traumatic event.

Our lifes has changed immensly and i miss Mum the way she was but now i try and stay positive about the future but it isnt easy. I remain tearful when i see her, i hope one day i can change that, and perhaps with your stories and support i can.

Sharon

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Sharon

Welcome to Behind The Gray. I'm sure you'll find the site as helpful and supportive as we all do, it's been a Godsend to everyone who visits, both SAH survivors and carers. We are all at different stages of recovery, and with different levels of 'symptoms' so there's always somebody who can give experienced advice and information.

I'm sorry to hear about the complicated condition but do hope that she continues to improve.

Sarah

Hi Sharon I am a daughter of a SAH sufferer too too so I know what you are going through. Mu mum (aged 75) had her SAH May 2008 and was in Frenchay also for 7 weeks. (Ward 1) what a wonderful place. I was so sorry to read your mum's story and I know it is very hard. My mum only over the last week in fact has only just shown a glimmer of her former self so it must be so upsetting for you. Do keep in touch - maybe you live local to Frenchay too, I am only 20 mins away. What a team of nurses and doctors. My thoughts are with you.

Elaine

Hi Sharon :D

A very warm welcome to you, so sorry to hear about your Mum. I hope things will improve. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We are here for you, this website has been a Godsend and there are lots of lovely people here that understand and can support you. Take care, Love Tinaxx

Hi Sharon

Welcome to BTG. So very sorry to hear about your mum - this is a wonderful site and I hope that you can get the advice and support here that will help you get through this terrible time.

Sending hugs to you, your mum and your family - my thoughts are with you.

Love Sami xxx

Guest mojojojo

Thanks you all so very much for your kind replies... it's shows i am not alone, and maybe i need to be postitive like you guys, i am hubbled by your stories. I feel emotional most days and i do hope you don't mind me using this as an outlet to all the emotions i feel right now. Guilt, Anger, Bitterness i feel it all at times. I soooo wish it never happened to my mum, i struggle to get use to how mum is now and i feel bad for that, each day i go and see her and each day i leave with tears.

Her condition is so complicated and the only suitable place they could put her was with Dementia patients i struggle with this very much, my mum dosent have dementia but a brain injury, she can do puzzles to word searches yet cant remember what she had for dinner. It's very bizzare at times and i wonder if anyone else can relate.

It's a great site and i totally relate to most stories, your amazing people just like my mum :)

I can so relate, I couldnt remember day to day stuff but did word searches.

From what other people have said families of people that have had SAH's you have to push to get a place in a rehab hospital, I went to one straight from hospital once I was discharged I honistly didnt thing I should have been there I thought I was ok I wasnt but the rehab got me doing stuff like physico mental stimulation stuff thats whats needed in some cases to help (I use this word again because it kind of sums it up) re-boot the brain because its just like a computer really.....

ok went on enough hope that all makes sense I do tend to miss the point sometimes......

Take care

Louise.xx

Hi Sharon - what Ward is your mum on at Frenchay. It hardly seems fair that she is with dementia patients, maybe it is short term until a more apprripriate bed becomes available. My mum has no short term memory - she can not remember what happened an hour before but she has a lot to be still thankful for whwich she is now just able to start appreciating. Is she able to eat or speak at the moment? From recollection mum went often weeks with no improvement at all so try not to get too down about things. Does your mum know you? There are so many questions I could ask. Take Care

Elaine x

Guest mojojojo

Hello Elaine.

Mum was on ward 1 in Frenchay after coming out of Intensive Care, She seems to have slipped through the net i believe storngly it is because of her age but i can't get anwhere in terms of getting her out of the Care Home she is in. They are wonderful people and take great care of her, but ts not the right place, most of the patients in there dont speak mum speaks openly, they don't recognise people mum knows everyone she see family wise, she can do cross words and puzzles but she have very many panic attacts which can be frightening. The reason she is in the care home is because Dad can't cope with the panic attacks and theodd behaviour she presents. Amongst other things say she wants to go to the toilet she will take knickers down straight away rather waiting to go to the loo does that make sense? She will say she is hungry eat her dinner then ask for her Dinner.

hate her there but i dont know who to turn to.

Regards Sharon

Hi there

Good greif your Mum's not old by any means, what you have to do is find the source either through the hospital or try calling the Brain & Spine foundation they're really helpful, even citizen advice, if she was in a rehab unit then she'd be getting the care that is right for her.....

Elaine is the person I think I was thinking about in my last post, sorry Elaine I couldnt remember your name :oops:

keep up posted.....

take care

Louise.xxx

Your story is so sad Sharon and hardly seems fair to your mum and your family. When my mum left Frenchay she had help from Intermiediate Care at Henhsaw House Cossham and I am surprised Frenchay did not put you in touch with them. I also have info from Headway at Frenchay where I suggest you contact. Is you mum at Gleeson House, that is the only local dementia home I know of locally and my dad went there for respite? Social Services should also be able to help surely, I have lots of contact numbers if you want them, what does her GP say about this outcome?

These services offer physio, help with washing etc, OT and Intermediate Care were very helpful when mum was discharged. Thinking of you lots.

Elaine

Hi Sharon - have looked up a few numbers for you:

Intermediate Care Cossham 9758001, Frenchay Brain Rehab 9562697 Head Injury Therapy Unit 9186522 Social Services 01454 866247. You may need a GP referral to access these. Hope you will find help for your mum from one of these.

Elaine x

Guest mojojojo

Elaine

Thanks so much all this has been very useful, i have managed to contact pals @ Frenchay and ask for a second opnion. It's a start, she is being cared for and Kings Court Nursing Home Swindon. I have an appointment with Headway in Oct i have heard so much about them and have been to one of thier support meetings. The Doctor in the care home isnt very helpful unfortunately i guess he dosent know mum well enough to understand the frustrations we all have. I Contacted various places and they all insist on a referral which is the thing i am trying to get.

It's all very new to me but i will continue to fight for what mum deserves she certainly dosent belong in the care home although again i say it they are great but she isnt have any stimulation at all.

Please if there is any help or guidance you can help me with i dont mind giving you my mobile number i apreciate all the support i can get.

Take Care

Sharon

Its terrible that your the one that has to do the running around with this but sadly you do have to keep on at the all the time to get somewhere.

I needed a lot of brain stimulation otherwise I just sort of flop really.

Headway are very good.

take care

Louise.xx

Hi Sharon - I expect October seems a long way ahead for you when you are desperate to get something sorted. My number is ....... or ..... if you want to talk.

Elaine

Hi Elaine, just to let you know that I've private messaged Sharon with a copy of the above post including, both telephone numbers, so hopefully she will pick your message up from her inbox. I was just a bit concerned that your telephone no was on display and don't want you to get any crank calls :wink: ....so have therefore deleted the actual numbers. Hope that you don't mind and feel free to contact me if you need to :) Karen (Admin)

Guest mojojojo

Been to see Mum this Morning and played Dominoes....oh how she made me smile, i will fight for her to be given the chance to enjoy a more interactive enviroment which is what she loves.

Thanks you all so much for your knd words and support so happy i have found you.

May i ask how you upload pictures? Would be great to show you all pictures of mum.

Best Wishes Sharon