Fatigue post SAH

It would be interesting to know how many of you have suffered from fatigue since having the SAH. You can just say a couple of words, like "I do or I don't" and say what stage you are at post SAH. It can be as brief as you want it to be or you can say how much of an impact that the fatigue has had on your day to day life...... Thank you, Karen x

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Karen

I used to get it quite badly in the beginning - my turning point was my first holiday after my SAH - a year later. It was the first time that I didn't need to sleep during the day and I haven't really since a year on.

Hope this helps

Love Sami xxx

Hi Karen

I used to get it a lot in the first year. I do still get it now and again had a bad case in August which was why I cut my hours at work. I think its not listening to my body and letting myself get overtired stupid I know but sometimes I just push myself a little too hard.

Janet x

Well, I still get the fatigue and I'm now 3 years and 4 months on. It's got better and better, but I still have days when it's overwhelming and can't do late nights anymore.....so have learnt to adapt. Not sure how I would be, if I was working on a permanent basis.

Fatigue the bain of my life somedays I could just lay down where ever I am and sleep only those who have been through this can know what I mean

But 2 years post SAH in Jan 09 its soo much better and sometimes can go for a few weeks before it hits me, I have learned to accept it now though its just part of the new me nothing wrong with that :D

Yasmin

xxxxx

I am 6 months post SAH, was fatigued for first few months after coming out of hospital, now I dont very often sleep during the day but always sleep well at night from 10 til 6. Not started back at work yet expect to be tired then. Have got a bit more energy for doing things now.

Caroline

I am 18 months since my SAH and still have problems with tiredness, it just sometimes hits me and all I can do is lie down. However it is slowly improving and I can recover from just a half hour rest ( not always, sometimes I rest for a whole day to recharge) I also still have problems sleeping but I now sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time and I have had the odd 6 hours in one go! :)

Vivien

Hi Karen

I'm 9 years post SAH (in December) and I still suffer with fatigue, not as badly as in the early days when I needed to sleep most afternoons, but if I get an energy burst I'm sure to suffer for a few days after. AND.... we've been home from our holiday 9 days and I'm still struggling with "jet lag".... Mark was back at work the next day, I took an extra few days off.... but hey ho.... :lol:

Hi Karen

I am 10 months post SAH and the fatigue got gradually better untill the 6th month then I hit a plateau which I have not moved on from. Prior to SAH I could walk 3 or 4 kilometres followed by a 100 length swim then go to work in the afternoon and out in the evening. Now I cannot do any of those things on their own in one day. I can now EITHER go for a short swim, about 15 lengths, or a short walk, or half a days work or do the food shop but when I try to do more than one thing in a day I can't do anything for the next day or 2.Even if I do half a days work I can't do it 5 days a week, only 2 or 3 half days. All I want to know from medics is is this the new me I have to accept or will it improve.

Thanks for running this mini survey!

Ann

Hi Karen,

My Sah/stroke was 13th nov 07 and then recoiling done 24th sept 08, i used to nap during the day which i needed, although shattered i then had trouble sleeping at night. I don't nap or try not to during the day now as i sleep a bit better at night, .

I seem more fatigued now since second recoiling i seem to have an energy burst mid morning which probably lasts about 1-1 half hours, then i have to sit down most of day ( i am yawning now even though i slept through :) ).

Hope this helps,

Love and hugs

Michelle C

Hi Karen

Fatigue is a major factor for me. I don't need to sleep every day now, but at least a couple of times a week. Sometimes it's so debilitating that I can do nothing but sleep. I think the two lots of surgery exacerbated the fatigue. Surgeon says it will always be there, but may hopefully improve a little.

It's the one main thing that I worry about regarding working full time again.

Sarah xx

Guest LesleyM

I had my SAH two years ago and I still get very mentally fatigued. I think this is because I have to concentrate so hard when doing things. My physical strength is much improved

Guest shelscha

I had my SAH June 2007 and then another brain surgery August 2008 which caused a stroke. Fatique is still one of the biggest things that I have a problem with. I do not fight it and when I feel I need the sleep I let my body have it. I still sleep a good 10 to 12 hours a night and it seems that every couple of weeks I have a weekend where I sleep alot

I am just over 8 months on from SAH and did not really suffer too badly with fatigue. I am not as energetic as I was, and am guilty of having an energy drink in the middle of the day (nearly every day) which helps.

I never had to have afternnon naps, but I go to bed about 9 - 9.30pm every night and now the nightmares are not as bad, I usually sleep well.

hugs

shiree

Morning all,

Heather still suffers friom fatigue and we are 3.5 years into this.

It seems to come in cycles that cover a 2 month period. For 3-4 weeks she will be up and busy with little to no extra sleeping during the day followed by a period of light naps during the day to full blown snore outs on the couch!

Hope this is helpful

Andy