Recovery advice wanted

Guest joanne

Hi. New to the site as I had a non A haemorrhage on the 14th Nov 08. I have been doing pretty well, but have had a bad week so far, neck aching,headache and complete exhaustion.

As I didn't need any surgery I felt a bit of a fraud to begin with when reading the stories on this site, but have gradually learned that i still had a brain haemorrhage.

I know everyone is different, but what would you all recommend as the minimum time off work? I have an appointment with the Occ health nurse soon and theb ususal things will come up, you look really well, how do you feel? I know how I feel when I'm at home and can rest anytime, and taking about 2 hours to decide what to cook!! What I can't say is how I'll feel in an office, with lots of people, cmputers, phones etc...and it is causing me so much anxiety.

My manager who visited yesterday suggested that if I return to work next week (26th January 09) instead of going to a team meeting in London ( I live in South Wales), "because you might not be up to that!!" you can join the meeting for a couple of hours via video conference...sent me into complete panic and turmoil.

To top it all, my 12 week follow all at the neuro unit has been moved (due to cutbacks) to the 10 Feb 2010 (15 months down the road). the hospital suggested I complain, as this is potentially dangerous!

Not usually this down, but don't know what I should be discussing with my GP when I see him tomorrow.

Thanks for any help

Joanne SAH 14/11/08

Hi Joanne and welcome to behindthegray.

It sounds to me that you are not ready to go back to work just yet. You are only just over 2 months on which is very early in your recovery. As for recommending a minimum time, no one can say. There is so much rubbish put out there about recovery times, and as you've said, everyone is different. We've all been down the path where people say you look well, but they don't know or understand how you feel inside. You are among people here who do understand. Tell your GP how you feel on your worst days and hopefully there will be some understanding.

Don't be pressured into returning to work, as it's a big step; a step you should take only when you feel properly ready. Even then, you may find you struggle to cope with the work environment. It's something you need to discuss with your manager: a phased return, starting part time on a small number of hours to see how it works out ... but only when you are ready, not when others think you are.

You are not a fraud. You have suffered in the same way that others here have suffered, aneurysm or not.

You should definitely get on to the hospital about your follow-up. Tell your GP as well. I think it's disgusting that they should move it so far ahead.

Take care and hope it goes well with the GP tomorrow.

Regards

Keith

Hi Joanne

And a warm welcome to the site....

Believe me when I say your not alone in thinking everything you've said......

You are early in your recovery and everyone is different there isnt really a hard and fast rule on the recovery thing its the individual, sounds like your not really ready to go to work yet maybe at some point though you could go into see your friends there and judge for yourself with the hussle bussle phones and stuff but at the moment I'd say its maybe a bit early....

And I know what you mean about the Occi health nurse unless she's familiar with neur well!! all you can do is explain, when you go see the GP just tell him/her how you feel what you've just said....

Yes complaine you could also mention that to the GP too......

all for now and hope to hear from you again soon.

take care

Louise.x

Hi Joanne and welcome!

You should never feel a fraud and nobody on BTG will see you as one, as you've still had a brain haemorrhage and have to recover from it.... we still have the same recovery problems.

Well, when it comes to going back to work, it's kind of well, how long is a piece of string? Everybody here, has a different story to tell .... the odd person has gone back before 3 months, some at 3 months, some at 6+ months and some of us, have tried to return and it hasn't worked out, some have never gone back. I believe that the medics advice is return to work at 3 months at the earliest, but it could possibly be 6 months, depending on your recovery.

I can't recommend a minimum for you, as I think, that you probably know, whether or not you feel fit enough to return? I tried at 3 months post SAH and failed miserably .... I knew in my heart though, that I was still too ill to do the job, but it was the pressure that I felt around me ..... money, people's expectations etc..... Joanne, you need to rely on your gut instinct, nobody should be telling you that you have to return if you're not up to it. I know that financially it can be hard and that's what forces most of us to return.

To be honest, I think that you've answered your own question ..... if you are in any doubts as to how you would cope in the office and it's making you feel anxious, then I would say that it's probably too early for you to return.....if you were completely happy, then you wouldn't be posting this message.

When you do return to work, your Employer should hopefully allow you to come back on a phased return ..... even just dipping your toe in the water for a couple hours, to see how you cope with a noisy, busy environment, might be an idea...

All of this, you need to discuss with your GP tomorrow ..... the work, the anxiety ..... what you're experiencing is pretty typical for most of us after a brain injury and recovery takes time, physically and mentally..... Also ask your GP to get your 12 week follow up appointment sorted, as it shouldn't be down to you to deal with it, when you're trying to recover. Be honest with all of the medics tell them how it is and that you're stuggling, don't be afraid to tell them ..... most of us here are probably guilty of saying "Oh I'm fine thank you!" ..... when we're not ..... it took me a long time to actually be honest and say how I truely felt .... but had to reach depression stage before I did!....

Brain injury is hidden and we've often said on here, that we should wear a flipping great big crepe bandage around our head and then perhaps, we would get the recognition and help that we deserve!

Good luck Joanne and take care....

Love K xx

Hi Joanne

Welcome to BTG hope you find it as useful as I always have. I agree with Karen and Keith you do need to discuss everything with your G.P and don't let work or there O/H force you back before you feel ready. I hope your G.P manages to get the Neuro Centre to bring forward the follow up appointment fr you.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Janet x

Hi Joanne a very warm welcome to BTG :D I agree with the others...take your time and discuss how you feel with your GP....dont be pushed back if you dont feel ready. Hope you get your appointment sorted. Look forward to hearing more from you. Take care Love Tina xx

Hi Joanne

I returned to work on a phased return 6 months after my SAH in June 2008, just did a couple of afternoons, I was keen to go back an prove I was ok, however the journey in was enough!, didnt have much to do and work were very good, no pressure, however was extremley tired, couldnt be bothered and no interest. I am now on another 2 weeks sick and considering early retirement and change of job and hopefully a fresh start! Hope you continue to make a good recovery, you will alwatys find help and advice here.

Caroline

Joanne, You are right, you are not ready to go back yet, no-one with a brain injury could be ! Tell them what you told us about your benefits of being at home, not quite the same as work is it. Two months would be ridiculously early, tell your Occ. Health nurse to look on this website, if she thinks you are OK!!

Don't hold back to be polite! Tell it like it is and then turn back to us for support, you will certainly get it :)

Hi Joanne

Welcome to BTG. I am 3 years post SAH and couldn't return to work as I have other problems as well, What interests me is that you are from South Wales as well. I am also having problems with my neuro dept in that they told me on 5th September 2008 that I would have to be re coiled and it would be dangerous to leave, I'm still waiting. I attend the Heath Hospital in Cardiff to which I am very grateful for saving my life and the staff there are superb BUT once discharged its very difficult to get to speak to anybody but please do as my wife does and keep on to them whether it be the Heath hospital or any other hospital you are a patient. We continue to badger them hopefully they'll get fed up before my stress levels overflow. Obviously I don't know which hospital you attend but you must keep on.

Cheers

John

Thanks for all the replies...it certainly helps, and Ihave found the site invaluable over the last few weeks.

John I too am under the Heath, and whilst the nurses were brilliant, I never got to know who my actual consultant was, and was too out of it to ask questions at the time...now I have the questions and no appointment...but it gives me a challenge!!

Will certainly be contributing in the future and will let you know how I get on with Gp nad Hospital

thx Jo

Hi Joanne

Welcome to the family and the site.

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Make sure you get your GP to sort out that follow up appointment - 15 month is far too long to wait.

At this moment in time hun your health is your main priority - DO NOT let anyone try to force you back to work before you're ready, and to be honest only you will know when you're ready. I went back after three weeks more for the fact that I worked with my husband then and had a bed in my office - couldn't stay at home on my own because of the anxiety.

It does get better with time and this site has been a god send to me - I hope you get as much advice, help and friendship as I have.

My advice as always - it's a long road to recovery but you're allowed to make as many pit stops as you need along the way.

Take care of you

Love Sami xxx

Hi Joanne,

Welcome to this wonderful family and this wonderful website :D

You are certainly no fraud- you have suffered a brain injury the same as anyone else and its a long recovery process.

I was pushed back into work far too early and did about 8 weeks part time before returning full time as a teacher. I lasted a few months and then was back off sick for 5 months, probably feeling worse than straight after SAH and then went back for 3 weeks part time and was off again for 3 months. Everyone is different but you sound like you know really that you are not ready. Your health is more important than a job.

Stay positive and it will all come right in time.

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

Hi Joanne and welcome to BTG.

I don't think I can add much more to the other comments but to stress that the recovery period is different for each person. Two months does seem a bit early, I went back to work part time after 6 months but it took me 15 months in total before I was full time with all the responsibilities I'd had before.

Don't let anyone push you in going back to work. Wait until you feel it's right for you.

Kim

Hi Joanne

Welcome to BTG. I agree with what everyone before me has written and I think you know, too, that you're not ready to go back yet. We've all been given a second chance, we're lucky, so it's even more important that we listen to our bodies. You'll know when, and if, you feel ready to go back but you should do - as recommended already - a phased return.

Glad you found us!

Sarah xx

Guest Beth1957
<snip>

To top it all, my 12 week follow all at the neuro unit has been moved (due to cutbacks) to the 10 Feb 2010 (15 months down the road). the hospital suggested I complain, as this is potentially dangerous!

Ye gods, that's ridiculous!!! Please please hassle the hospital - or get your GP to do so.

As others have said, it really doesn't sound as if you're ready to return to eotk yet. A hemorrhage is a pretty major trauma for your brain...

Welcome to the site, by the way! :)

Hello Joanne,

I suffered the same, and would strongly advise you don’t agree to a phased return until you have recovered from the initial post trauma, for starters! You just shouldn’t jump back in so soon, but what you need do is focus on restoring your emotions, strength, stamina and faculties. You’ve a bit more distance to go in your recovery but you will get there if you guard against overdoing it, a case of learning to walk before you run again. Take time out to restore yourself fully before even a thought arises about work!

Wishing you well.

Anya

Hi, just to let you know I was completely honest and both my GP and Occ Health nurse said I was not ready to return to work yet and I have another four weeks off...the relief is huge.

My GP was astounded by the hospital letter and dictated a rather curt letter when I was there to the consultant. Between both GP and nurse today I learned more about what had happened and was listened to than all the time I spent in hospital.

Thanks to all of you and speak soon

Jo