Project - Various

I know that we've had this topic raised before ...... but it helps me to collate the info, if it's all in one place..... :wink:

What age were you when you had the SAH?

Do you know what artery was affected?

Some of the log in names are non-gender specific, so if it applies to you, are you male or female?

Were you coiled or clipped or non-aneurysm or other?

Many thanks for responding.... :D

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Karen

I was 28 when I had SAH. Also collapsed lung, irregular heartbeat ( shocked twice ) and I also had MRSA.

Not sure of name of artery but I know it was behind my eyes and central to my brain ?

Female.

Had 2 coils.....and still have neck on annie x

love donna

xxxxxx

Thanks for the replies....

Keith and Donna, think that I can tell that you're male and female ..... bless you xx :lol:

I haven't got a clue what I was coiled with, as I'm part of an experiment and they wouldn't tell me what I was given .... trust me to have been a guinea pig .... think that I would have agreed to anything at the time! .... Has anybody else taken part? ... I can't remember the name of the experiment, but I've posted it somewhere on here .... so, will have to do a search ......

xx

Ha ha ha! :wink: Female !

Hi karen :D

I was 45

Right Subtemporal Approach and clipping of Basilar Tip Aneurysm....a berry aneursym that ruptured. Just looked at my discharge notes !

Was at the stem of my brain so not sure which artery !

Was clipped with colbolt chronium/ titanium and have titanium plate in the side of my head and cheek bone.

Hope that helps

Love Tina xx

HI KAREN

AFFECTED ARTERY: I TRIED TO FIGURE IT OUT BY LOOKING AT ORIGINAL SCAN I CAN TELL YOU PLATINUM COILS WERE PLACED BEHIND MY LEFT EYE NOT SURE WHAT ARTERY. BUT AUDIO ON DISC SAID SUBARACHNOID HAEMORRHAGE LEFT WORSE THAN RIGHT WHAT EVER THAT MEANS NO ONE EVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT RIGHT.

TRIED TO GO TO THE NORTHWEST BRAIN AND SPINE WEB SITE THIS IS DR WEB SITE, MY DR IS NO LONGER THERE AND SITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

I COULD CALL THEM BUT THAT MAKES ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE, NOT SURE WHY.

I WILL KEEP CHECKING ON WEB SITE AND TRY TO SEND EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS.

SORRY I CAN'T BE MORE SPECIFIC.

XXX EVELYN

Hi

I was 46 (Sept 2006) and had SAH on the right hand side (not sure which artery). It was clipped with a titanium clip using the SOMIC* method, currently only undertaken by Mr Howard Brydon at University Hospital N Staffs and possibly one other hospital in the South.

A second aneurysm was detected on the left hand side which was clipped just over a year later using the same method as above.

*SOMIC - Supraorbital Microcraniotomy: New procedure, receiving approval from the National Institute for the Clinical Excellence in Summer 2004. An incision is made just above the eyebrow instead of the side of the head and a keyhole approach is used to put a clip across the aneurysm.

Each of my scars is approx. 2.5 inches in length, creating a kind of double eyebrow approach - I call them my Sooty Scars!

On a slightly different note, has anyone had access to their records re: SAH? I have a form to apply to see my records as I feel it would help a bit with 'closure' but still not quite ready to do it.

Sarah (female)

Hi Karen

In reply to your request plse find my reply:-

I had an embolization of the anterior communicating artery aneurysm

I was 57 years old

Yes it was ruptured

I am male ( I hope ) and reside in Monmouthshire, South Wales

I am awaiting re coiling as original coils have compacted and neck has grown bigger.

I hope this is what you want

Cheers

John

Hi

I was 42 when I had my SAH. It was coiled, platinum. I was left with a neck / stem. I don't know which artery as it looked pretty central on the scans. I have been left with trigeminal neuralgia since although I've declined meds for it. I also now have a second aneurysm.

My Dad died of SAH in 1998, but I have no details.

I am female, recently celebrated by 25th wedding anniversary to Kevin, who found me unconscious on that unfortunate day.

Kim

Hee Hee, I knew that when I asked for male or female, that I would get these replies! :lol: I hope that I can tell from the photo avatars, even if my eyesight is pretty dodgy!.....Isn't it lovely that we've all managed to retain a sense of humour? .... then again, let's face it, you need to have one after a SAH! :lol:

You guys have given me a giggle though .... I've had a lovely day on the humour front ....it's just the body that isn't v.willing to do much today ..... :roll::lol:

Honestly you lot, you do make me laugh! ...... :lol:

Sarah, I've never had access to my records ...... but wouldn't mind seeing them now, think that I could deal with it ok ..... all I've got, is a CD of my scans and coiling....

What age were you when you had the SAH?

Do you know what artery was affected?

Just above my right ear dunno which one though sorry :lol: and the other one the exact place but on other side

Some of the log in names are non-gender specific, so if it applies to you, are you male or female?

Female was last time I checked anyway :lol:

Were you coiled or clipped or non-aneurysm or other?

I had to aneurysms clipped dunno what type they used though wish I did

Hi Karen

The PALS office at Stoke sent me a request form to see my records, which I've just completed. You can either choose to go and look at your records at the hospital (free of charge - just find a mutually convenient date) or have your records copied and sent which costs, from Stoke anyway, £50. However, PALS did say that you would probably need someone with a bit of medical knowledge to translate the 'doctor-speak'. My sister is a nurse so would be able to help me with that.

Will let you know what happens at the next stage!

Sarah x

Thanks for that Sarah I read somewhere on the nhs they only keep your records for 7yrs so I am going about getting a copy I need to know how big they were where they were and what the clips are made of so I have got all the contact details and I am gonna find out :lol:

My dr will help me read them they are good like that. Jess.xxx

Guest sarah c

Hi Karen,

I was 36, and I have the clip. It was at the back of my head that is basically all I know. I have never seen no records of anything. I remember my first visit back to the hospital and they had left a stitch in the top of my head so they sent me to the ward to have it taken out with all my notes. I can remember the file being so large with loads of things in it, I would have loved to have sat and read it all, but they could not wait to take it off of me when I reach the ward.

Hi Sara C

I am always amazed at the size of my file would love to have a look i got caught having a nosey when they sent me down for a hearing test the last time and they took them off me an put them into a very large envelopes and she said with a smirk its hospital policy to send them back in evelopes.....spoil sport :lol:

Michelle