Hi Everyone from John

John Nicholson

Hi everyone,

I was starting to think that I was to young to have suffered an SAH but i can see from the forums this is far from the truth. The last 2 months have been a very emotional period having only lost my dad to an SAH in January 2009, which was a shock to the whole family.

I suffered my SAH at work late on a Friday afternoon, I was out washing my van having got back from a service call early and was trying to kill time before being set free for the weekend. I was having a laugh with the lady in the accounting department who was trying to get me to wash her car aswell, I turned around to continue with my van and it felt like i had been hit in the back of the head and i had been split in half, I really dont remember much from that point for the next 4 days, i have snapshots of those 4 days but nothing that is clear and there are only a few of those. My next clear memory was waking up on a ward in the Wessex Neuro Unit in Southampton with drips everywhere and a banging headache. I was informed that i had suffered an SAH and that they had coiled it and they explained the procedure i had. The next 2 days are a bit blurry, eventually later that week I was up going to the toilet and showering, the headache was a constant but as i suffer from migraines it was copeable. then on the saturday i woke up and i couldnt move my right leg, I remember staring at my foot willing it to move and thinking its OK i slept on it and its still asleep I'll just prop it up it will be fine in 10 mins, then I realised I couldnt move my right arm either. After 1/2 an hour things were no better and I called the nurse. The next bit is all a bit blurry again this time I woke up in HDU linked up to more things than i can remember. I had suffered a serious Vasospasm and 2 weeks of triple H therapy ensued. It all went fine with the exception of being hyper sensitive to reductions in Noradreneline when my BP would fluctuate massively and take a while to settle again. After 3 weeks in Southampton I managed to get a discharge to Dorset County HDU where I was in for a shock after Southampton. None of the nurses knew what procedures I had done and in the first 24 hours had messed my noradreneline up and sent me into a BP rollercoaster, after 3 days there I was transfered to a ward and 22 hours later I managed to lie my way into a discharge! with hindsight this was a mistake but at least being at home I can get some sleep.

So nearly 3 weeks on now and happily the headaches have returned and my right side is incredibly shakey, I've fallen over a few times because my reaction time is terrible.

I'm now struggling to get the house clean and keep it that way as my housemate is next to useless, nothing was done in the house for the month i was in hospital and continues to be the same. I just do as much as I can until the shakes take over and I'm forced to go back to bed.

Edited by bogbrush
Added name to thread title

Hi John,

Welcome to BTG. You will find many wonderful people on this web site that will help with you any questions you have.

We have learned that people of all ages suffer an SAH. The reasons are unknown.

I am so sorry to learn of the passing of your father. I also lost my father this year. Dealing with the death of a parent is a very hard thing to go through.

Please do not push yourself to do too much. You really must take it very slow. you are very early in your recovery and you need to rest as much as you can. Pushing youself too hard to only make your recovery slower, not to mention how you will feel. Stress the importance to your housemate the serverity of what you have gone through and the importance of them doing for YOU at this time. It does get better, you are the one who needs to rest.

Hope to hear more from you.

Take care of yourself.

Cal

XXX

Hi John

Welcome to our family as Cal has said you will find lots of advice and friendship on these boards. So sorry to hear about your father it must have been very difficult for you and then to suffer the same thing yourself as well very scarey for you.

Your housemate needs a wake up call its you who needs the help and support at the moment and he/she should be at least clearing up their own mess, not leaving it all for you.

It is early days for you at the moment but it does get easier over time the important thing is to try listening to your body and rest when you need to. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi John :-D A very warm welcome to you...as Cal and Janet have said, you have come to the right place for support and advice.

So sorry to hear you have lost your father....so much to cope with all at one time.

Your housemate sounds extremely selfish....do they understand what has happened to you?? Have you tried to explain...maybe you should show them this web site!!!

Please take your time and dont push too hard...as Cal and Janet have already said....you must rest up and take things slowly. I used to try and do everything and got the terrible shakes like you....that is your body telling you to stop....listen to your body.

Don't be hard on yourself as Karen always says. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Love Tina xx

Edited by Tina

hi john and welcome

sorry to hear about the loss of your father and sorry to hear what you have ben through. you need to rest to recover both physically and mentally. speak to your gp or contact social services and ask for a community care assessment. you are entitled to help and support so you should get it. don't try to manage on your own it will get on top of you. you have alot to deal with at present and your house mate is n't helping! please get the help you are entitled to!

im new to this site and it has been a great help, you can ask anything and there will always be a reply.

take care xx

ps i am only 30, i dont think these things discriminate against age.

Hi John and welcome ....

Yes, I know what you mean when you say that you're lucky to have survived this, but also understand that there are many times, when you don't feel lucky to have experienced a SAH and be going through the recovery period and it certainly takes time to adjust...

However, it does get better ..... perhaps, not as fast as we want, which can be frustrating, to say the least .... hang on in there and if there's anything that you want to ask, then please feel free... x

Hi john glad you found your way here, I think you are doing very well just to be posting and although you may not think you are managing much it sound to me as though you're doing incredibley well and i hope you continue with a speedy recovery,Good luck Rod

Hi John

Welcome to BTG. Yes it will be a very emotional time for you. People kept telling me I was lucky to be alive after my SAH and sometimes I agreed with them and at other times I felt quite the opposite. You are very early on in your recovery (another thing people kept telling me!) and it takes a long time to recover from a SAH and it can be a slow road. That seems to be true for most people, it certainly was for me.

My mum died from a SAH in 2001 and I think they do run in families in some cases. It's annoying that your housemate is not being more supportive; he seems to be on his own planet.

I've found BTG really helpful and a great support especially in the early days and it's one of the main thins which got me through.

Will look forward to hearing more from you.

Best

Anne

Hi and welcome to BTG

I lost my Dad from through a SAH in 1998, then had my SAH in 2004. Like Anne says, they seem to run in families. It is early days for you but stay positive and take things at your own pace. I used to keep a daily journal of what I'd achieved, it helped me on the not-so-good days. In fact I still do read over them, even now 5 years on.

Take care

Kim

X

Hi John

Welcome to the site and to the family

So very sorry for the loss of your father - I can't imagine how it must feel on top of everything else you are having to deal with - my heart goes out to you.

You're in good company here and there's a wealth of support and experience here that will help you through the tough times. Never be afraid to ask anything or share your feelings on here - there'll always be some one who will respond and let you know that you are not alone.

You say you thought you were too young to have an SAH - how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I was 35 when I had my SAH - I'm 38 now and it was the scariest thing that had ever happened to me - the road to recovery was a long, hard one but we've done the hardest bit - we survived. This site has been, without a doubt, the one true and solid thing that has gotten me through - I hope we can do the same for you.

Like the others have said - don't even think about the housework - if you're house mate can't be bothered to clean up after themselves with all you're going through then they aren't worth worryng about - your health and recovery are the most important things right now. Take it easy and listen to your body.

Look forward to "speaking" more.

Edited by Skippy

Hi John,

Welcome to this merry band of survivors' website! There's not much I can add to what's already been said; I can only echo the sympathies expressed regarding your bereavement.

Everyone will tell you that your recovery will take TIME...and you probably won't appreciate just how much time, and try to rush things. Don't! Please be good to yourself. Try not to push your body (and mind) too much. If you feel good tackle a short task. If you don't feel so well take some "me" time.

I agree with the person who suggested showing your housemate some info about SAHs. People around you really need to know the extent of the trauma you have suffered/are recovering from. It would be nice if they could support you by taking on the housework, but if that's not to be you really shouldn't over tax yourself with it. I used to be so fastideous pre SAH, but you should see my messy house today! Actually...I'd prefer it if you didn't!

One of the hardest things for me to adjust to post SAH has been the limitations of my recovering body. I'm encouraged by the folks here who are all managing to lead pretty good lives. I have another unruptured aneurysm which is going to be clipped next month, :frown5: but that's the future. Today I'm going to do 3 small household tasks and enjoy the weak sunshine....while it lasts.

All the best, mate.

C