Other more subtle changes

Morning (just),

It seems that many of us experience very similar changes after sah. There's the ones we know about while we are still in hospital, memory loss, balance and problems with walking unaided, co-ordination etc.

Then there are the changes that hit you when you get home - can't read, can't cook, can't handle noise and back-lit items such as TV and computers.

I was wondering what more subtle changes people have noticed later in their recovery that might have gone unnoticed because they are so slight?

As an example; all my life I have hated ready salted crisps, now they are the only flavour that tastes ok. I have always been terrified of spiders for as long as I can remember, but now they don't bother me. I've always been somewhat lacking in the humour department, but now if something strikes me as funny, I will laugh until I cry.

I'd love to hear if any of you have noticed something similar?

Dawn x

I can't apply mascara, I get it all over the place. I also can't do a toe heel walk (the one the police ask you to when drunk) & they were things i was never aware of until out of the blue I tried to do them. I have a major problem with dates which isn't so much memory as a complete blindness to what I write down or agree to do on a date & then when I transfer them to the calendar I put them down wrong. My friends birthday is valentines day & this time I wrote it down on the 15th!!

I have a lovely wrist watch that was my 40th birthday present. It has roman numerals. I've been waiting for my brain to be able to read the time on that watch again. It's still not happened. When I look I at it I just cannot figure it out. It's very bizarre. For Christmas Peter gave me a new watch with big proper numbers on it so now I know what time it is again. I miss my pretty one though. I keep testing it though, I keep thinking its going to come back to me.

Sandi K.

It's still early days for me - but I've noticed I have a sensitive dip in my skull I never had before, my mum tells me I have a lump on my forehead I never had before...maybe we're all imagining it!! I can't seem to sleep much before 2am nowadays. At night I hear a lot of wooshing sounds - like blood going to my head too quick and I've got extra sensitivity to cold around my face. But I think the last 3 are normal aftermath problems.

However I've not experienced anything really strange like most of you lot :-P I now want a quirk too!! I feel like I'm missing out. :biggrin:

Nic

x

Occasional tiny clicking noise in my right ear is all I have remaining after two months out. Sounds like someone tapping fingernails together rapidly beside my ear. It's very faint and not really even noticeable unless the room is quiet. Not sure what it is, as I can't find much reference to it.

I have no other residual symptoms with the exception of a slightly lower stamina when exercising. I realize that I'm lucky.:-D

Sue

I never had high pitched voice but it is deeper than before...when I sing (screech) I cannot reach the high notes lol

I sleep and eat more than I did before...who am I kidding...I've always loved food. ...Gone off fruit loved it before

My daughter and hubby said before SAH I was a prudish what me a prude !!! cheek ...not so much now.as I don't care who I talk to.

When in wheelchair when my back goes I make conversations with other in chairs my daughter goes Mum shhhh lol I say meet

you in next aisle some laugh some dont know how to take me..... lol

Have a happy day all and always laugh xxxx or I'll run you over in my chair..lol

Love

WinB143 xxxxxxxx

It's still early days for me - but I've noticed I have a sensitive dip in my skull I never had before, my mum tells me I have a lump on my forehead I never had before...maybe we're all imagining it!! I can't seem to sleep much before 2am nowadays. At night I hear a lot of wooshing sounds - like blood going to my head too quick and I've got extra sensitivity to cold around my face. But I think the last 3 are normal aftermath problems.

However I've not experienced anything really strange like most of you lot :-P I now want a quirk too!! I feel like I'm missing out. :biggrin:

Nic

x

Ah, yes, I have a dent in the front of my head where the pressure valve was. It changes in size depending on how much I have done in a day. I don't see how bone can change shape, but mine does!

I've just remembered another change, I seem to have a really high pain threshold now. Perhaps that's because there's not much day to day stuff that can hurt as much as a bleeding brain perhaps?

Dawn,

I look like I was a forceps baby lol...hold on I was ...but I have a V dent in forehead also since Annie

V dent = sign for victory over SAH lol

Does anyone feel happier since coming round fromSAH ???? I am so pleased to be alive and not so scared about the future.

Love

WinB143 xxxx

Edited by Winb143

...but the weird thing about my lumps and bumps is that I never had an annie or operation, neither did a fall cause the bleed - so I have no explanation for it. Perhaps it's veins bulging with pressure and it's time to get another LP?! Oh and the only other thing I've noticed is that I've gone off doing housework :wink: ...wait, no... sorry...my partner tells me I had that before my SAH LOL!!

Nic

x

Nic

x

That is so strange, as I have a sensitive dip or 'dent' in the top of my head; although I think that may have been caused by my car boot lock, when my boot fell on my head about a month before my SAH :/ I have asked a few of the dr's and they think that bears no relation to having the SAH though.

I still have issues with light and noise sensitivity but not quite as bad as the early days post-sah. I had to put my glasses/sunglasses on to watch tv initially as I found it too bright.

I never used to eat celery but am starting to quite like it chopped in a salad now, other than that I can't think of anything else food-wise...

I did have an aversion to chocolate for a few weeks post-op. Not sure why, but it soon faded... ;)

Kel x

Nic ...What is housework (Joke)...I do try, like I washed up put cutlery away....back ached so sat down.....still waiting for plates

to be done at 11am...grrrrr ...I could do it but hey I am on here ..lol am chatting to my BTG Pals

Kel 'll try celery cut up...cheers for that xx

Lazy moo signing off

Laters all

WinB143 xxxxx

Edited by Winb143

Hmmmm....I have a list of major changes but it took me a while to think of any subtle ones. The food ones triggered my brain cells though - I choke if I try to eat anything even slightly spicy. I never liked very hot, spicy food but my tolerance to it now is very mild spice only - weird, can't think of any reason for it :confused:

Michelle

Hmmmm....I have a list of major changes but it took me a while to think of any subtle ones. The food ones triggered my brain cells though - I choke if I try to eat anything even slightly spicy. I never liked very hot, spicy food but my tolerance to it now is very mild spice only - weird, can't think of any reason for it :confused:

Michelle

Ah now see, you are all reminding me of subtle changes that I've forgotten about! I have the exact opposite of this Michelle, I have never been able to extend beyond a Korma, but now I can eat spicy food that would previously have blown my socks off! Makes no obvious sense does it?

Michelle you reminded me that I now use sweet chillie sauce in things before the SAH there is NO WAY I'd have used that....

Also forgot I dont like a lot of diff things on my plate either or example KeithH mentioned the other day Beef & Oyster pie the combonation that sort of thing my brain just cant handle now - weird isnt.

WINE! .... just can't drink it like I use to ... use to love a glass of chilled pinot grigio of an evening but now it just doesn't slip down like it use to. when i do have a glass have to mix it with soda. (financially its great as a bottle lasts weeks now :-D )

Also stopped smoking - being in hospital for a couple of weeks meant no smokes and on discharge didn't even crave a cigarette. And to this day 5months down the line still haven't craved a smoke (have been told was a bit of a drastic measure to give up smoking!!).

"Don't drink don't smoke, what do you do ....." - (Adam and the Ants!!) Somebody please tell me thay also remember that song

""Don't drink don't smoke, what do you do ....." - (Adam and the Ants!!) Somebody please tell me thay also remember that song"

:lol:

Oh yes Kaz; that song always comes into my mind when I tell people I don't smoke anymore and I don't drink very often now (and don't drink much at all if I do).

It's been over 5 yrs now, so luckily gave up prior to having SAH.

x

Oh no no no... I am far far too young to remember Adam and the Ants!!

Says she who is Prince Charming it around the room. Oh dear, what have you started!!

As for my subtle changes, well as others have said, most aren't subtle, but the one I found most odd, was that for about a year I didn't dream. It took me a while to register I wasn't dreaming. I found it very odd and didn't like it.

I'm dreaming again now though.

Out of all the differences I have been left with the one I find hardest to accept is tinnitus.

Think I'll go look up Adam on YouTube, have a lil sing along!...

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Edited by SarahLou

Win crossing arms like Diana Dors did... ....

Prince Charming.... ridicule is nothing to be scared of......dont ya ever dont ya ever .... darn ya got me singing.....

My Dogs run away howling j/k

Love to all

WinB143 xxxx

WINE! .... just can't drink it like I use to ... use to love a glass of chilled pinot grigio of an evening but now it just doesn't slip down like it use to. when i do have a glass have to mix it with soda. (financially its great as a bottle lasts weeks now :-D )

I used to be in love with red wine, but now if I'm being really adventurous and really treating myself, I'll have a bottle of Asti :shock:. Oh, how my life has changed lol :lol: