Sleep post SAH

Can is ask everyone

Were you ever frightened to go to sleep after a SAH, I still get nights where I am terrified to sleep

I think I maybe , that mines happened in the middle of the night and still get nights where I get scared thst I dont wake up.

Is this normal and should it pass with time

Any thoughts please xxx

You are okay Davie, 

It's just that we didn't expect this to happen to us  and we can stress about it which is no good for us.

Been through 3 stages of a bleed  Stage 1 Why me.  2. Guess I wont live long. 3. There is a life after an SAH.

When you feel a panic mode coming on just say to yourself, I am still here and try and relax, you are not the first and will not be the

last to feel like this.  So start thinking happy thoughts remember the smile well try it when in bed where no one can see your silly grin ha.

Bet you feel better, I was the same so been there also.

Try a smile come on while you read this just let that mouth turn upwards come on.  Then do it at bedtimes xx

Good Luck

Win xx

• Like 3

Hi Davie

I had real bad cough when my SAH occurred, I now do get a bit paranoid about coughing, I guess it is the association with that event. I am gradually getting better over this and tried reframing that cough alerted me to having an aneurysm not easy. I do think the fear gradually subsides not sure it will ever go though.

Regards

Sharon

• Like 2

Hi Davie,

I had my SAH start to happen when I was in the bathroom, I was really

paranoid about going in there when I returned home from hospital.

I also struggled to sleep,  like you I was scared in case I didn't wake up,

Like Sharon said it`s the association with when it happened, but it does

get better as time goes on,

Hope things start to improve for you soon,

Love

Michelle

• Like 3

10 years on for me and any association with the SAH really does and will get better ...  :)

Sleep can be pretty tough post SAH as it is, for a lot of reasons and your body clock can be thrown out....I also had nightmares and sometimes I would still be awake at 4am and only just going off to sleep when the family were getting up and going off to work .. it will and does get better....xx 

• Like 4

Hi Davie!

Great subject and one I've been embarrassed to talk about.   So glad you brought it up.

When I first got home I was so scared to sleep as I was sure there were ghosts in my room.  I even swore I heard voices.  I did have my sah in the bedroom while I was sleeping so I think that was part of it.

Then my son brought in fleas from a job he had outdoors.  You should have seen it.  I was usually the one that never had them bother me but, of course, maybe medication, they picked my ankles to rest on.  I was so scared and paranoid that I had to powder everything in the house.  It looked really weird and I would have probably been put in an institution if anybody but my family saw it.

Then it was spiders, etc etc etc.  Oh...and mice.  When I can't sleep I used to come downstairs and mess around on my computer.  Unfortunately I happened to see a little mouse race in, grab a piece of cat food and run back out.  I was petrified enough that I won't come down anymore. :angry:

I'm about a year and a half out so am mellowing out a little bit.  Thank God!  You'll be better.  Just try to say to yourself that it is a leftover of your SAH.  I too wake up at night still (not always) but mostly because my ears are pounding so hard that the volume wakes me up.  Don't put that in your head as something that might happen.  I'm just weird.  Ask Win.  :lol:

WONDERFUL picture by the way.  It is so special.  Baby adorable.

Hope you feel better Davie.  Keep coming hear and join the banter.  There are probably lots of threads relating to fear.

Love Carolynusa

• Like 4

Hi Davie

I'm not afraid to sleep but my sleep is very disturbed. I am often awake at 4am and find it difficult to get off again until my husband brings me a cup of tea at 6.40am then I am soundo until the tea is cold!

My sah happened when I was running and although I do worry, I am back running again and so far so good.

You are doing well, keep smiling and singing!

Clare xx

• Like 2

Hi there, I was scared after leaving the hospital (not during hospitalisation as it was SUCH a struggle to sleep cause of constant pain...

at one point I didn't sleep for five days andd nothing even Morphine got rid of the pain, with the lack of sleep I was hallucinating, visual and even spookier auditory hallucinations) Even though I felt much better being home I was terrified to give in to mid day sleep and have nice naps in the afternoon in case I didn't wake up again (because that's more or less what happened when the SAH descended on me on June 2).

The good news is that afternoon naps are esssential to feel less tired and generally happier, so just try to relax on a bed even if you don't sleep immediately. For nights, I take Lexomil and Imovane (still ;-( four months after the SAH), because I am convinced that sleep is one of the three main routes back to good health so sleep is vital no matter how you get it.

Hope you're feeling chirpier and better.

Sammy Anne xx

• Like 1

When I got home I had to sleep with a light on. I'm not sure if it was because of all the time in the hospital and the bright lights 24/7. Even now I hate total darkness. Feels like death to me. I do not sleep well and ask a God to wake me in the morning. I aways want to fall back to sleep around 5:30 or so when dawn approaches. It's very comforting to me knowing the sun is rising. I am not sure I'll ever sleep a full night again.

Iola

• Like 2

A massive thank you to all that replied and as ever the replies make me feel like part of a big family who understand the challanges

As I had mentioned, my SAH happened in the middle of the night and my wife also has trouble sleeping as any strange breathing patterns or unusual snoring noises she wakes me up to makes sure I'm ok,

She has become paranoid about it the now she has decided to seek professional advice to help her.

Has anyone else's partners or spouses go through or even going through anything similar
It would good to let her read the posts should you have any

WIN.......just got from the mull of kintyre.......and was singing all way home in my car......nobody can hear me then.... :-)

• Like 4

Dave, Mull of Kintyre, well last night the Mist was defo rolling in from the sea...

As to sleep, well Ronnie never says that it bothered him or not (but for me it didn't happen in the night) it was lucky though that he was in, because he was meant to be working, so for a while it was tough for him going out and leaving me.

Well, that's good, because the first step to cure is getting help well done her...

Its harder I think, for others, because they don't know how we feel & will never know, unless they are unfortunate for it to happen to them.

• Like 1

Hey Dave. The sleep and strange sensations can be scary. I woke with a start for no reason after my discharge and whilst I was still on lots of pain killers at that point I would have awful pains, then get scared, then be unable to get back to sleep. Racing thoughts, heart, pain. It was hard. And yes if I was so bad I woke my partner up then he of course would be anxious and worried. He also reports many nights when he used to watch me sleep or check on my naps just to check I was still breathing.

I think it's good your partner is talking to someone, she will have been very scared by what happened and felt helpless so help to process that will be good for you both.

Time will heal. You will both regain confidence. You will begin to be able wait out the odd sensations, see familiar ones and notice those that are new with less fear. You missus in time will begin to be annoyed by your shuffles and snores rather than panicking but it will be baby steps. Be kind to each other. Hug lots!

At night getting back to sleep is harder if you focus on it or worry so Try not to beat yourself up. Sleep and nap during day when you can or feel the need for as long as you do and then at night if you wake just gentle thoughts, relax your body bit by bit and even if you are just lying resting then that's ok. Also get some pillow mist, yes I know it's not that manly but it helps to calm the thoughts!

• Like 1