Hi my name is Vicky

Vicky

I am so glad I found this site its helps that there are other people out there who understand.

I don't know where to start but I started to suffer from headaches when I was 17 yrs old and after a night out with friends I had to come home early as I had a really bad headache on the way home I had to stop to be sick. I got home and got into bed and the pain got worse and neck went stiff and in the end my dad took me to hospital worrying that it was meningitis. After waiting round for hours I finally saw a doctor in a&e and by that time the pain was wearing off and the doctor put it down to a migraine and from then on I have suffered from bad headaches and the only pain relief that would work for the past 10 years was nurofen.

On 16th June 2010 I had been at work had a busy day as normal as I work on a front line social work team/child protection team and been to do my horses after work. It was a hot day and when i got home I went upstairs for a bath. As I was filling the bath I bent over the bath to swish the bubbles round and all of a sudden felt this immense pressure in my head and eyes and I felt like my head was going to pop off my shoulders!! I carried on thinking I was overreaching and got in the bath and started to wash my hair. I started to feel faint and dizzy and I just remember thinking to myself I have got to get out the bath and unlock the door. I didn't even wash the shampoo off my hair and I managed to unlock the door I just got out onto the landing and the next thing I know I was waking up on the landing floor. I was a bit disorientated and managed to get downstairs to where everyone was. Nobody had heard me so it is a good job I woke up!

My mom sat me on the sofa and got me a glass of water and at that the sickness started and then after about 5 minutes the pain started in my head I lay down on the sofa with a flannel on my head but I knew something was not right and just asked husband and dad to call nhs direct just to be on the safe side!!.

After talking to the women on the phone at nhs she said that she was going to send a paramedic to check my over. When the paramedic arrived she did all the usual blood pressure and sats test and all was normal I was just in a lot of pain. She told me that she would take me to hospital but I would not be classed as a emergency as it was just a migraine so I could be waiting for hours so I was just sent to bed.

After 2 days in bed there was no change and now I had a stiff neck aswell. My mom took me down to see my GP who said that he wanted to book me in at the emergency assessment unit at my local hospital to rule out a bleed on the brain. I went to hospital on the Friday night and they kept me in overnight and gave me painkillers and said if it is a migraine it would be wearing off by the morning........... Well it did not wear off and at lunch time on the Saturday I had a CT scan which confirmed I had a small bleed.

I was started on the nimodipine and on the Sunday (fathers day) I was transferred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham and by lunchtime I was in theatre having my op which thankfully was a success! I can remember waking up from theatre and the first thing I said was that the pain had just gone. The doc thinks that the bad head I had at 17 could of been the start of it all and it just healed itself till it was ready to blow again.

I had a left posterior communicating cerebral artery aneurysm (I think that's what it was called!) which was coiled and have been left with a weakness in my right leg and right side of my skull and ear is numb but it is a small price to pay!!!.

I am 27 and before I had the SAH I was always on the go working full time, looking after my horses and dogs, supporting my mom who has Ill health, a step mom and I also have Lupus which is a auto immune disease so My lifestyle was none stop always doing for others. I did smoke before the SAH from the age of 16 but I don't now And hardly drink alcohol I'm just thankful I'm still here.

I now make the most of my time with my family and friends and my many animals but I'm a sucker for a sweet face!!!!!

Anyway I think that is it about me really just glad I'm here to tell the tale!

Vicky xxx

Hi Vicky,

You will find that a lot of people on BTG had their anni's misdiagnosed, me included.

You are here though and sounding very positive, that is the way to go.

You will find a mountain of knowledge on here and don't forget to ask questions, the answer is out there somewhere.

Welcome to BTG.

Hi Vicky and a warm welcome to BTG as well as the SAH survivors club!

Well done you. I'm glad your here to tell the tale too :-D,your story is much like my own.

Congratulations for writing your story, your a brave one! I look forward to learning more as well as how your recovery progresses.

I was left with a weakness in my right arm and leg but after 2 yrs it is much much improved and getting stronger by the day. Your alot younger than I was when I suffered my SAH so hopefully you will gain more strength sooner .

I wish you loads of luck for a speedy recovery. Love Maggiex

Hi Vicky

Well done on finding BTG :-D I was 27 too when I had my brain haem and I was also treated at the QE in Birmingham. Where do you live?? I'm in Coventry and at the time my lucky hospital didn't do the coiling so had to go elsewhere. Who is your consultant?? Mine is Mr Walsh- he is lovely!

I was also mis-diagnosed for over a week so I agree it is quite common. Apparently I had a migraine, tension headache, infection, meningitis etc before diagnosis!

Looking forward to haering more from you

Hi Vicky

Glad you have found the site, it is such a blessing.

Your story is in parts quite similar to mine.

I am glad you have made it through so successfully, albeit with slight residual symptoms.

Congratulations on giving up smoking :thumbsup: I had given up 3 yrs before my SAH but had smoked heavily for many years which can't have helped.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Kel x

Hi Vicky,

Pleased you found us all here and are managing to find your way round the site a bit now:razz:

Sorry you too have had the misfortune to suffer a sah - it's always a relief to find and be able to talk to others who have experienced the same. There is always a lot of support and helpful advice on here.

Having read your story, it brought back memories of how I was checked over by a paramedic and likewise was left at home and that will always haunt me due my knowledge now of the seriousness and importance of getting seen quickly.

Anyway it's great that you are ok, but be careful not to over-work yourself!

Sarah

Vicky, welcome to BTG! This group of people are very supportive and without them I'm sure I'd be over the edge. My SAH was Nov 10 and I found BTG mid-Jan. Anya recently pointed out to me that we can find lots of member's stories under 'my story' on the home page. I've been immersed ever since. I find it helpful to read what happened to everyone. We aren't alone! :wink:

Sandi K. Xoxox

Well done Vicky for finding us!! I hope you are healing well!!

Now I love animals – dogs, cat, guineas and horse!! My daughter has her own horse and comes back from Uni to ride most weekends. I swear he knew something about my sah as the first thing he did was nuzzle up to my head and stood there very calmly, as if taking it all in and sending out the healing vibes!! Animals heal us, don’t you think?!!

I hope you keep with the riding along with the dog walks as this is the speediest road to recovery – just being outdoors and exercise!!

Anya x

Welcome to BTG! Yes, a lot of people are misdiagnosed - especially if they are not particularly drowsy etc, but I've read on a medical website (I'm a medical secretary) that a SUDDEN headache with other symptoms should always be treated as a bleed unless proven otherwise, i.e. by a scan...... Maybe we should try and raise awareness? I don't know.

Hi Vicky

Welcome to the site and to the family. Thank you for posting your story too - its seems misdiagnosis is quite common. I was lucky enough not to be but it was still 36 hours before they operated on me and I think they had sedated me until my op as I remember nothing from being taken from the house to waking up in hospital.

I was 35 when I had mine but had suffered from headaches for years, though they refuse to link the two issues.

I'm four and a half years in now and things are pretty much back to normal - still get tired a lot quicker than I used to, but other than that everything is good.

Feel free to ask any questions you like, there's bound to be one of the wonderful people on here to help or identify with your question.

Looking forward to chatting more.

Hi Vicky and welcome. So glad you found this site as it helps in so many ways just to talk to someone and express how you are feeling and get understanding replies from people who have gone through the same thing. I had my sah 6 months ago and am now preparing to return to work and resume an almost normal life. You are about 20 yaers younger than me and probably a lot fitter and healthier so I'm sure you will do just fine.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your kind words of support! Its good to know and i am amazed of how many people are on here with similar stories of some kind and how many people are mis- diognosed i thought it was just me.........

Somtimes when i talk about the SAH to my family or friends i feel like im going on and at some point they are just going to turn round and for gods sake will you shut up about it your boring me now:lol:!!!! at least on here people know exactly how your are feeling and what you are going through im trying not to talk about it at home to much at the moment because it did not really hit my Dad until Christmas and he is now on anti depressants and im the one trying to pull him out of it !!!(he has had a bit of a delayed reaction!).

I have now finished my councellling and it did me the world of good so glad i went for it felt a bit weird at first as with my job im normally the one referring people for councelling not the other way round!!.

Anya............... My dog and horses have helped me heal they listen to me and dont answer back and give me loads of love and sloppy kisses when i need them.......... although with my dog thats all the time she is a constant slobber face!! (i have a Turner & Hooch dog) and i love being outside with my horses, my gelding i have had for 14 years and he always knows when somthings the matter!!!!

Laura............... I live in Kinver which is in between Stourbridge/Kidderminster so your not far away from me. My consultant who im under at the QE and did my op was Mr G Flint. He is also nice although ive only seen him once since June!.

Got to go again in March for clinic but still waiting for Angiogram which was supposed to be done in Dec/Jan but still waiting but had a CT scan done in November as i was having streaks of light keep coming into my right eye but scan was clear so i only presume that i dont need an angiogram now as they have seen enough on the CT scan!!!!

Any how thanks for all your kind words and hope to speak to you all soon!.

Take Care

Vicky xx

Hi Vicky,

I just read the post you left for 'Harrywatch'. I'm impressed by the wisdom you show for someone so young. (that's meant to be complimentary. Hope it comes across that way. ( I'm duff with words) xx

" trying to adjust to the person I am now, rather than the person I was then" You should be really proud of yourself for being that close to acceptance. I'm 19 months post op now and still strugglilng to do that. I know it's the right way to go, but I'm totally convinced we can't MAKE ourselves do it! It comes when you're ready. You go girl! Sounds like you're already ready and well on your way back. xxxxx

Hi Vicky I agree totally wiht the need to talk about what happened & other people glazing over or worse saying forget it & move on (liek you can when every aspect of your life has been affected by hat happened!). I use Headway too more recently to share how I feel with people I know ahve experienced a brain injiury so if you have a local branch it's worth getting in touch with them, BTG was my lifeline when I was discharged as I had no one to share my feelings, worries & fears with until I found it.

Animals truly are a blessing, none judgemental & always love you no matter what xx

Hi Vicky

Hope you’ve had a good day at the yard, as we did too!! With the present sunshine we must get out and exercise whilst we can!! My dog is a golden ray of sunshine, always kisses on the hand (she’s often eating you know what in the fields!) The horse, called Buz, is a chestnut gelding of 15 years and has the best smelling nostrils!! We went on a longish hack over the fields this afternoon in the beautiful glorious sunshine; Pops was riding and I fast trudging behind. All tired out so it’s an early night!!!

Sally.........Thank You xx I think its when i have my social work head on!!:lol:

Dont get me wrong i still have my days when i suffer with anxiety if i have had a bad head for a while or with the face/head pain i have had been having recently i start panicing and thinking that i must have another brain anurism or somthing is going to happen again but i have to pull myself out of it and think logically or i would drive myself insane!! it is good to have people on here to talk to that know exactly what you are going through! Take Care xx

Anya.... im glad it is not just my dog that does that in the field/stable Nala has done that since a puppy and it is somthing that i have not been able to stop her doing but apparently it is very good for them!! cant say i would like to try it myself :lol:!!!!. I am still yet to get back in the saddle but hopfully i will in the summer as my gelding could do with losing a few pounds!! Take Care xx

Thanks for all the comments guys you have all made me feel really welcome on here!

Take Care

Vicky xx

Hi Vicky, so as to clear up any misunderstanding when I say Buzby has the best smelling nostrils, I mean it be in terms of smelling them – mixture of hay and good breath!! He's a ginger ray of sunshine - a ginger macging and gets bullied a lot by the others!!!

Have you tried sitting on your horse again? Don’t resume in the spring when the new grass comes; otherwise you’ll be entering competitions for bucking bronko!!!:lol:

My friend’s daughter suffered a head injury (car accident) in August & had a bleed. She’s still spaced out but rides all the same. Any chance that you could try it sooner rather than later? Are there others around to ride with you? I am sure you would feel a million dollars for trying!!!