Whooshing Noise!

I've seen posts about whooshing noise in your ears. Like wind being blown into your ears or hearing the ocean but really loudly.

The noise stopped in my right ear yesterday.

It stopped in my left ear this morning.

I cannot believe how quiet it is!!!

I think I've had this extra noise for almost 6 months now. It is oddly quiet.

Sandi K.

Woohoo Sandy! Enjoy the "new"quiet. I've had the whooshing before. I still get it occasionally, but not much anymore. Sometimes "things" still sound incredibly loud and here's a weird thing - my sense of smell seems to be much more acute since my SAH! Sometimes this is not so good :lol:

Hope you have a great day Lady!

I've seen posts about whooshing noise in your ears. Like wind being blown into your ears or hearing the ocean but really loudly.

The noise stopped in my right ear yesterday.

It stopped in my left ear this morning.

I cannot believe how quiet it is!!!

I think I've had this extra noise for almost 6 months now. It is oddly quiet.

Sandi K.

It's worth checking this with your gp or consultant. I'm no doctor but it might be a carotid bruit - it's possibly the sound of your own blood flowing that you can hear. Your GP can check and might want you doppler ultrasoundscanned - it's best to be safe than sorry here. Can you hear your pulse? Which is a different issue altogether - pulsative tinnitus.

Again, ask and get it checked.

Damian

Hi Sandi,

glad you brought this up today. I'm reaching my two year mark in June and had this whooshy thingy for the first few months. It was never a constant thing for me. Was always just around 2 seconds then gone again. After the initial couple of months it went away completely. However I have noticed occasionally in the last couple of weeks I have been getting it again. It's still a 2 second thing though. Weird! :confused:

Hi Sandi,

I've had whooshing in my ears since SAH. Very regularly at first but it got less & less over the 1st year and now I get a surprise when it does appear. Enjoy the quiet while it lasts but always check with Dr if the sudden silence has worried you. Sure it will be a sign of things settling down (but obviously i'm not medically trained just going on my own experience).

Michelle xx

Hello and thank you for your replies. You guys are great, it is a wonderful thing to pop up a question here and check back and see multiple replies.

Damian, I will talk to my GP when I go next. I don't feel it's anything urgent and so many of us experience it after SAH but I agree that I need to discuss with my GP. My whooshing is still gone and I've got a more 'normal' ringing in my ears now. Yesterday was such a quiet day that it was strange and I was aware of how quiet it was all day.

Sandi K.

I got wooshing noise.....used to drive me up the wall ...... hence all the shopping...it was worse when quiet in the house....lol.good excuse.

Noticed ears get waxey more since SAH wonder if thats anything to do with it????

Hope the woosh noise goes away

Regards

Win x

Guy's, if you're experiencing this type of noise in your ear/s, then please do go and get yourself checked out with your Doctor. As much as we like to "normalise" recovery experiences on here, physical symptoms do need to be dealt with by a medical professional and not to be presumed as being part and parcel of SAH recovery. If you're experiencing any type of noise in your ears, then you need to keep yourself safe. I've had and still experience pulsatile tinnitus and it's something that needs to be taken seriously and needs proper medical examination.

H Sandi,

Karens right always get things checked out x x x

I have been/have still got the same problem has yourself and lately my head just doesnt feel right its hard because I want to get through these feelings without going to the doctors

(feel i spend most of my life there with paranoyer):roll: but then i think i need to deal with these sensations on my own otherwise i will never recover from my anxiety x x x I will mention the sensations when I am next getting my BP checked but they never seem concerned x x x

My previous doctor did say to me that my ear problem would more than likely happened even without me having a sah x x (not everything is related to sah)

I always find I feel worse around my period (sorrys guys) my head plays up more for about week i'm on and week after x

my doctor put me on some tablets for a bit for my ears which i now have finished and they did help so sandi if its annoying you get it checked x x

all my love

donna

xxxxx

Hearing the ocean in my ears was my first sign when I got my SAH.

I have it occassionally now and am instantly scared when it happens.

No pulsing tinnitus sounds for me but enhaced hearing, especcially high pitched sounds have bene with me ever since. (as are sensitivities to other sensory systems... )

Well, the quiet was nice (although strange) while it lasted!

The noise is back and it sounds like radio static or white noise.

I haven't asked the doctor about it yet but it's on my list of things to discuss with her. I just wanted to update the thread so everyone knows it didn't stop for good.

Sandi K.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Nessie said that the whooshing sensation was the announcement of her SAH. I had the same symptoms but they were present for several weeks in my case. The other symptoms were like a crawling sensation across my scalp, chest tightness and the involuntary opening of my fingers,( causing me to drop whatever I was holding at the time). I put it all down to stress at the time and was not too concerned because the feeling after a "spasm" was quite pleasant, like the feeling you have after satisfying vigorous exercise. I was tested for Angina, vision problems and arthritis before being told I was imagining it all, about a week before my SAH. The whooshing sensations are still with me now, six years on. They are not painful and I don't really "hear" them, I just feel them, like feeling the blood flow inside my head. Four or five long pulses, like a toilet flushing, that fade away and disappear leaving no pain or after affects. I have no idea what it is, neither does my GP or Consultant. They all say that "we will keep an eye on it", whatever that means.

Wooshing you all the best.

Billx

• 4 months later...

Back when I began this thread the noise that stopped was a constant noise, very similar to when you hold a seashell up to your ear.

Yesterday morning I woke up with my pulse in my left ear. I've not experienced this before. I didn't think much of it except that it's weird. I don't have a cold or an ear infection and I'm not having allergies to anything right now. When I stand up or sit (when I'm upright) it goes away. When I came home from work and flopped on the sofa for a nap it returned immediately. It's very loud and annoying. Its been with me anytime I'm horizontal since yesterday morning.

This morning I woke up and it's still here and I have a slight headache as well.

I don't feel sick or overly fatigued, I'm not dizzy or anything else. In fact, other than these two symptoms I feel pretty good.

Will go to the GP if this persists through the weekend. Weird stuff on the Internet about it. Do you guys get this too?

Sandi K.

Hi Sandi,

Yes, I get whooshing noises in my right ear (SAH was left side) and I have tinnitus. I was referred to ENT in June, saw them again a couple of weeks back and they want me to have another brain scan. Waiting to hear about that.

Best to see your gp and get things checked.

Take care,

SL Xx