Recovery and medicines

Hi All! I hope this message finds you all well. I had a quick question about medicine s during recovery. By the end of each day, I am exhausted, frustrated, and have a "veil of headache" that makes me feel just awful. Have any of you found a medicine or treatment that helps minimize the gross end-of-day feeling? I have tried over the counter headache medicines to no avail.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly welcomed. Enjoy the day, and I wish you all a speedy and happy recovery.

Best,

Noah

hi noah

i cant answer your question but it does go through my mind that you maybe trying to do too much have you tried to have an afternoon nap it is known that if you do too much the headaches come with a vengeance sorry i can help further take care

Hi Noah

I can sympathise a little there. I have found since moving back to my flat and starting to do everything for myself and a little drive here and there (Dr's, shop etc) that I get a headache towards the afternoon. I usually take a couple of paracetamol, and have an afternoon nap (as Paul99 suggested).

I have a slight headache at the moment and feel a bit cold so have just put a woolly hat on indoors too! Hope I don't need it when I go back to work next week ;)

Kel x

Hi Noah

Paul is probably right in that you are doing too much, you have to take things very slowly to allow your brain to heal.

It might be a good idea to see your doctor who can prescribe stronger painkillers for you than you can buy over the counter.

Hi Noah,

I can still get a headache in the evening ..... I've yet, to find the magic cure and I'm going to be 5 years on in July! :wink: I still take a couple of Paracetamol in the evening, to try and pre-empt them.

However, I don't get as many as I once used to ... may'be it's the brain trying to tell you to slow down a little?

It's a steep learning curve, after having a SAH and one that's taken me quite a few years to adapt to and to recognise my limitations.

If I can remember rightly, you're working and have young children? I shall have to look at some of your original posts! :wink:

However, stronger pain relief can often give you unwanted side effects, so you have to weigh up what's good for you .... Is there any chance that you can give yourself forty winks in the evening or late afternoon? I often find that even putting my feet up for half an hour and closing my eyes, helps. xx

Hi Noah

I'm afraid I have to agree with everyone else it is your bodys way of telling you to ease off. Like Karen I try to prempt the build up of pain by taking paracetomol but unlike a lot of people I haven't suffered with a proper headache since my SAH. I have to live with constant neuropathic pain in the left side of my head/face but anything stronger than paracetomol does make my head worse not better.

If it is only in the evenings then more rest should help if its quite bad a lot of the time have a word with your G.P there is other types of medication that can be used.

Hi Noah

My advice is the same as everyone else.

Ensure you are getting enough rest. Also ensure you are taking enough fluids, as dehydration can cause headaches.

The Mantra of this site i think is "Listen to your Body" it is indeed true.:-D

It has been the cornerstone of my recuperation.

Take Care and Good Luck with your Recovery.

Aine

my hubby suffered bad headaches after having over the counter paramol which has codeine in then he had a new lot of medication from the doc which seemed to make his headaches worst to the point i got him admitted again; all test were fine. he is taking paracetamol as and when he needs it. my hubby's sah was from an unknown course and he is 4 months on tomorrow, still very early days.

dixx

I found the best thing to help with headaches was ice packs, Ibuprofen and lots of water. When the headaches got too bad in the hospital and the morphine wasn't working I would put those gel-type ice packs on. So once I was home and getting headaches from over-doing it I would grab the ice packs when I felt the beginnings of a good one coming on.

One ice-pack across my forehead and one across the back of my neck, and then rest quietly on the couch for as long as it would take to make the headache bearable. I was prescribed Tylenol 3 with codeine when I was released from the hospital, but found Ibuprofen seemed to work better, because we are dealing with inflammation in the brain right? So it seems to me that an anti-inflammatory would only make sense!

Hiya

I also get headaches if I've overdone it, or if I'm a bit run down - definitely my body's way of saying to rest up a bit. I sometimes think it's the only way our heads can force us to rest.

My lovely Brendan keeps a couple of clean towels in the freezer for me to place on my head and neck (lol, we're obviously cheapskates who wont buy ice packs ;) ) - and I just use paracetamol and/or ibuprofen to help. I can't always take ibuprofen, because they're not so good on an empty stomach.

Good luck :)

Thank you all for your advice. I guess that I am not very good at listening to my body. I have always been so good at pushing, pushing, pushing, that having to slow down (or stop) is never easy. I am not far along into recovery and am finding that the passive process does not mesh with my every day life.

The more I think about it, I am falling into the trap of looking in the mirror and seeing that "I do not look sick, so I must be able to go about my day." That, as hard as it is to admit, is not the case. (Sigh*) Thank you all again. I was so happy when I found BTG, and it has helped immensely. Even when I just need a swift kick in the reality :)

Hi Noah,

Life after a SAH ....well, I'm still learning to adapt, so don't be too hard on yourself ... it does get better though, but if you overdo it, then it seems that the brain pulls on the brakes and forces us to stop and take a rest.

Wishing you well ... xx

Yeh, dont be hard on yourself I was SO like you in the begining but found I had to slow down - the hard way...

but we've all been there sometimes I still get ratty that I cant but not as often or as bad now.....

take care, and take things easy

• 9 years later...
11 hours ago, Kim Vanover said:

What is paracetamol? Just had my sah in March. Still having headaches. Waiting for angiogram to be scheduled. 

Paracetamol is a painkiller available here in the UK.

We are not medically qualified so unable to give medical advice.

You are in the very early days of recovery, that recovery can take months or even years in some cases. If you keep well hydrated by drinking plenty of  water it will help the headaches.

• 7 months later...

Hi Casey,

As you know we can't give medical advice. However, I would say to you first - read the literature that comes with your medicines and look for the side effects listed.  Then go to your doctors and ask their advice.  That's the reliable and best way to deal with the condition you mention.

Good luck my friend.

Macca

Casey I suspect it was a side effect of the medication. Anything in that line of drugs always leaves me with a massive ‘hangover’ effect the following day. 

As Macca says read the patient info leaflet and speak to the prescriber. It may be that if you took in earlier in the evening that the effects the following day would not be so noticeable. 

Good luck

clare xx

You know I can’t give you med advice😿 but everyones different and I have seen many react differently to same meds. I have taken them long ago for my back. Sometimes it makes me feel dizzy and sleepy. And it can be due to interaction with other meds. Goodluck. You can talk to the doc.

Archived