Hi I am Kasim

Kasim

I am sorry I was unable to give an update on my mother a lot earlier, you all know her as Myra.

She had the coiling done on the 27th July, it was a very complicated coiling according to her surgeon. Her blood pressure would not go down below 200/280 When they finally finished 4 1/2 hours later she would not wake up at all, when she did come round her BP was still dangerously high, she found that she could not move her left side at all especially her hands, she was taken down for a emergency CT scan, I know the surgeons were not keen doing the scan but it had to be done and they were preparing her to go to theatre again the scan showed that she did have another stroke.

She was in HDU for 2 weeks and today she has moved to a normal ward.

I definately see changes in her, she is extremely emotional and angry all the time, she can slightly move her arm but she cannot use her fingers to grip, she is relying on her right arm but is very frustrated and wishes she never had the coiling done, it had to done as I don't think she would survive.

My brother and I don't talk too much about her coiling to her, she is already very depressed and with the added headaches, nausea it's not helping her much.

Hopefully she will be back home next week.

I do have a question which I hope someone can help me with, her surgeon mentioned something like a stent and balloon, how is this procedure linked with coiling?

Hopefully Myra will be back posting herself next week,we really do miss her, she's an amazing person.

Kasim

Hi Kasim,

I've been wondering how Myra has been getting on, so many thanks for letting us know!

I don't know too much about the stent and balloon, so I can't help you with that ... I know that some people on here, have had stents, so hopefully they will chip in.

I know that you're Mum has had a rough time and I'm hoping that the worse is over for her now. She's always talked about her family and how proud she is and I'm sure that you guys have kept her going... She's a strong lady and I'm sure that the anger is only a temporary thing and that things physically will improve for her.

Please send her my love and very best wishes .... I'm sure that many of the guys on here that know Myra will do the same and I would love to be able to send her a get well card from myself and include messages from members at behindthegray. If you're able to Private Message me with your address and surname, that would be lovely, but don't feel that you have to.

I'm sure that you do miss her .... Myra is a lovely person ...

Hugs to you all and give a big one to your Mum from me.... xx

Hi Kasim

It's great that you have posted to let us know how your Mum is. I have not personally met your Mum other than on here at BTG, but could sense from her posts that she is a lovely person.

I know she was not particularly looking forward to having the coiling done, but I am sure it was the right thing to do. I think most of us would be feeling a bit down if we were in her shoes - just let her know that we are all thinking of her and look forward to hearing from you, or your Mum, in the near future.

Sorry I can't answer your question re stent/balloon.

Sarah

Hi Kasim,

Thankyou for posting and letting us know how Myra is...

I sent her a card a few months ago and will be sending another one which I hope will amke her smile x x I have had it made for her x x x x

She is such a lovely person and even though we have never spoken on the phone we talk alot on the internet and I feel really close to her x x

Please send her my love and a massive hug x x

lots love

donna

xxxxx

Hiya Kasim,

I am sorry that your Mum has not come home yet and is feeling so down after her operation. I had a stent inserted in one of the arteries near my heart and I think the procedure is similar. The stent is a balloon type device which is inflated to fill the space. In my case the balloon was inflated to open my blocked artery. I had the procedure several years ago and have not looked back since.

It may be that Myra had a balloon device rather than a series of coils due to the nature of her problem. Last December I did have coils inserted in an aneurysm that I still had after my major bleed. My wife was told that it was necessary as I would not have survived snother bleed. So I am grateful for the surgeons skill on two occasions.

I hope Myra continues to progress and is soon able to return home.

Hello Kasim,

Thank you for updating on how Myra is doing. Sorry to hear It's not been straightforward for her. You hang on in there for her, as I'm sure you all will. Please tell her we are all praying for her and looking forward to her next contribution to our little daily wingeing sessions. Lots of love to her, and all of you. Stay strong.

Love Sally xxx

I'm really sorry to have read about your mother,i hope she wont be long untill she is on her way to recovery.

I know it is hard and frustrating for her and yourselves,take it a day at a time, but you must look after yourselves too .Shes in the best hands,its amazing what these Neurosurgeons can do now.

As for the stent/Balloon, my sister had this procedure done too,and more coiling added to the Anuerysm at the same time .

The reason for the stent was to keep her artery in her brain from narrowing

and to keep the blood flow going through the artery, without the risk of any clots

My sister will be on Asprin for the rest of her life also because of this

As John said in his thread, hes had this procedure done also,and never looked back my sister is doing well also after having this done.

Your mum will too

Will be reading to see how her progress is doing,

Take care xx

Hi Kasim

Thank you for letting us know, and so sorry to hear there were some complications for your mum, but I am sure the coiling complications far outweigh the threat of rupture and worse complications from that.

I have chatted to Myra both on this site and on Facebook too so I feel really sad for her that she is so down right now.

I do hope her left-sided weakness fully recovers so that she can soon continue her beautiful jewellery-making :)

Much love to you all

Kel x

Hello Kasim and thankyou for letting us know how your mother is doing. Sorry to hear that there have been further complications and hope that Myra is soon home again. She has been very much missed on this site and I really hope that she will make a good recovery.

Thinking of you and your family

Best Wishes

Vivien

Hi Kasim

So glad to meet you but wish the circumstances were different - Myra talks about you a lot and is a very very proud Mum.

Really sorry that there have been complications but I hope that once she is home she will make better progress - being in your own surroundings with your creature comforts makes all the difference in recovery.

Your Mum is a strong willed person and one with a very big, warm heart - I'm sure she will make good progress.

Send her my love and best wishes and tell her we look forward to having her back.

Take care of yourself

Hi Kasim...thank you so much for posting. Please send your Mum a big hug and let her know we miss her and are thinking of her. Myra is a lovely special lady. In my thoughts and prayers, Love Tina xx

hi kasim

thanks for updating about mum i wish her all the best for a fairly speedy recovery and that she will be back on here soon

i hope you are looking after yourself as well mum wouldn't be happy if your not taking time to look after yourself don't forget we are here for you anytime just have some you time take care

Hi Kasim

I'm so sorry to hear of the complications your Mum has had since her coiling. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and is able to come back here soon.

I echo all the other comments here that your Mum is a special person and we're all thinking about her.

Send your Mum my love and best wishes. Look after yourself too, Kasim, as you need to keep your strength up to look after your Mum.

Kim

X

Hi Kasim

Thank you for the update on Myra and I wish her all the best.

When I was having my procedure, my neurosurgeon told me that he would do a balloon occlusion and then go on to coil the aneurysm and my left vertebral artery. He explained that "legally" he had to do the balloon occlusion first. I would be awake during this part of the procedure and I remember them asking me lots of questions like move your fingers, your feet etc. I was awake for the first 2 hours. It was during this part of the procedure that I had a brain stem stroke and my left shoulder and arm were paralysed. I was then given a GA and the rest of the procedure took a further 6 1/2 hours. However my aneurysm was dissecting my artery and the artery would have bled again and that was why they went straight to coiling both the artery and the aneurysm. I've had months of physio for my arm and shoulder and it's helped a great deal. I'm left handed and can write, although I still drop things and can maybe take 2 or 3 goes at picking things up!

At my appointment in July I asked my neurosurgeon about the balloon. He explained that sometimes balloons are used and that I had to be awake for 30 mins whilst they did neuro tests. Usuallythey use two but in my case he used one balloon and 9 coils. But if you have any questions about your mother's treatment may I suggest that you speak to her surgeon. It might be an idea to write down anhting you wish to know, minds go blank at these times!

Take care.

Hope your mum is doing well and things are a bit better.I have only just found this post and by now you will know why the stent.Just in case let me say that stents have different purposes and in my case the two stents were placed in the artery to keep the coils in place.I had a wide kneck to the aneurysm and if they had not had the stent the coils would have been impossible.I think in America they now use a type of glue to occlude the aneurysm which sets immediately. Anyway hope your mum is now home and starting the recovery.X