Harrywatch

harrywatch

hi my name is harry, i don,t know if im doing this right?, or if any one will get this message because im not very good on computors, or anything just now. I had a SEH on the 16 Oct 10 Since it happened my whole world feels as if it has fallen apartwould like someone to give me the answer to the following questions,does it get easier, has anyone ever made a 100% recovery and if so how long did it take and finaly can anyone give me advice on how to make the way i and what iv become easier on my wife family and friends.

Hi Harry

Welcome to BTG - I moved your post to this place so that people could start a new thread directly to you.

It does get easier my friend and the more time that passes, for some, the easier it gets. It gets easier to cope with anyway - you have to give yourself time to adjust to the "new" you and to let you brain heal. Remember, its the one part of the body that doesn't really stop working at all.

I'm 4 1/2 years in and it's gotten easier the last couple of years - I'm still prone to mood swings and the odd headache but nothing more - I'm one of the very lucky ones who's life has virtually returned to normal.

You're very early on in your recovery and need to listen to your body and rest when you need to.

You'll find a huge amount of experience and support on here - I've made some life long friends that certainly makes the whole thing worth it - I hope you get the same from this site.

Hi Harry

Welcome to the site!

I am glad you have survived this horrible event and you have now found us too.

It is so good to know there are others out there who know how you feel and can help you adjust to life after SAH.

Yes it does get better.

I am 14 months post-SAH now. I had 12 weeks off work after my SAH and then returned on a phased return which I did over a few months in the end. It was hard and many times I crumbled but I kept at it and was back to full time work by July last year.

I still have my moments where I feel a bit down about it all, and I get so tired I struggle to put a sentence together at times, but I have recovered really well.

My SAH was misdiagnosed initially and i was not coiled until a week after the event. I suffered severe vasospasm during my op, which caused initial left-sided weakness but this resolved almost completely after the op and has now resolved fully (aside from a few episodes now and again of slight numbness and tingling in my left hand?! usually when stressed).

I started to notice real changes after 6 months, and then month on month i noticed little changes, and things that were getting easier to deal with.

Counselling really helped me to start to come to terms with everything and I cannot recommend it enough. If you have not had any already please go to your GP and request some sessions if you can.

Tell your friends and family about this site, and ask them to read some of our stories on here to gain an insight into how we feel after going through it. You can also direct them to the Brain & Spine Foundation website as they have a number of leaflets available which will help answer questions about SAH and other conditions.

Remember; lots of water and lots of rest. Be kind to yourself.

Take care and I hope to hear more from you soon

Kel x

Hi Harry,

Welcome to BTG.

I do believe that most of us improve over time, of course there are a lot of factors that determine how well, or how fast we see these improvements, like the severity of the bleed, the location of it etc and what, if any disabilities might have occured.

I can only advise on my personal experience and consider myself to be perhaps one of the luckier ones, but I would say I am about 99% back to normal, I still suffer from tiredness and visual disturbance since my sah 26 months ago, but I do lead a normal life. That's not to say I have been as good during all that time since my sah, the first year was pretty difficult, mainly with family not fully understanding the impact a sah can have on someone. That quite often lead to emotional turmoil. Perhaps you could persuade your wife/friends to come on this site and read some of the threads of personal or carers stories, to give an insight as what life after a sah is/can be like.

Wishing you all the best,

Sarah

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the site. "My whole world feels as if it's fallen apart". I remember that feeling only too well. It definitely does get better. We are all very different with our recoveries, but I don't think anyone has ever said it was quick. You need to give yourself more time. I found improvements were sometimes so slow it was hard to even notice them. When I look back in time, they're so much easier to see. Part of my visual field was lost and I'm finding that quite difficult to accept. My awareness of surroundings and goings on has improved quite a bit over time too. I was concerned I'd always be " in a world of my own". Not now though with all these new friends to help support me through it. I had my rupture 19 months ago now. You've come to the right place. Everyone is great. There is always someone there to help.

Take care and look after yourself. Baby steps all the way.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

Sally xx

Hi Harry

Welcome to BTG. It's been 3 years since my SAH. Back when I was in my early days of recovery, like you are now, I remember feeling very frustrated because I wanted to know if I would ever be 100% back to normal and no one (including the consultants) could tell me.

Each case seems to be unique. For me I would say some of my symptoms (mainly tiredness, lack of awareness in right visual field and severely distorted taste and smell) did improve over time but this happened extremely slowly. I also lost quite a lot of hearing in my right ear but this did not improve; this was due to a vasospasm rather then the initial aneurysm rupture.

What has happened is that I have slowly come to terms with the differences in myself and incorporated them in to my life.

Recovering from a SAH seems a rollercoster of emotions - immediately after it I was elated to be alive, next stage I was wondering if I would get completely better (a lot of anxiety), next stage was realising that I might not (grief) and then finally accepting the new me.

I started back to work after 6 months and this was SO difficult. I was on a phased return and had to spend 48 hours in bed after my first 3 hour shift. It took me about a year to get a reasonable level of energy back. I'm now working full-time, go out 4 nights a week on average but don't quite have the stamina I used to have and get tired more easily but reckon I'm doing pretty well.

Sorry I'm rambling on but I suppose I would say - yes improvement will definitely take place but it could be slow. Also you'll grow to accept the new you but there may be difficult stages to get through before you reach that point.

Look forward to hearing more from you on BTG.

Best wishes

Anne

Harry, welcome to BTG.

I'm still new here, today is my three month anniversary since my SAH. I've asked lots of questions and read many of the threads. The posts go back to 2006 so there is a lot of experience on this board. Many of the people who were here at the beginning are still here today. Thankfully Karen started this and we're all benefitting from it all these years later.

From what I've read in these many threads it seems that some do recover 100%. We're all different and our recovery times differ. Those that recover 100% don't necessarily go back to being the same person as they were before. I'm currently assessing my own situation and wondering if I want to return to the same pace or do I want to spend time on things other than just work. This life threatening event makes us question our direction. Some of us have life long changes from the SAH. Things like vision, headaches, dizzy, and so on. Everyone says that it can take months and sometimes years to really know what is sticking around for life and what is temporary as we recover.

The biggest message to me has been to slow down and take the time needed. I went back to work too soon and that's a common mistake. I've already dropped my schedule by some hours but I'm about to do it again (yes friends, again you were all right!).

We go through the multiple stages of grief. I don't know what they all are but for sure I've felt shock, denial, anger, and I'm struggling to find acceptance.

For the most part I'm in good spirits but just like everyone else here I've felt anxiety and great sadness and very very very very tired.

Share what you read with your family. They are learning just as you are.

I'm so glad you found us!

Sandi K. Xoxoxox

G'day Harry and welcome,

I can only echo what everyone else has said, you will recover but it takes time, alot of time. I too returned to work to early 3months after SAH, it made me go backwards in my recovery:frown:

I'm 8months post SAH now and i still get headaches most days and get exhasted easily, but this is alot better than it was, so i am improving all the time but very slowly, thats what is hard.

Rest and drink plenty of water , these two things helped me the most. I to go to the GP every couple of weeks to keep him informed and check me over, this helps with the anxiety, and just like Kelly said couselling has helped me loads, i'd recomend it to anyone:-D Helps you with all the emtions you will go through.

My husband and four children have found this very hard, but i find if you talk to them and try to explain how you are feeling it helps, and read some of the things out on here that you might find that will help you all. They will see that others have felt just like you :wink: Rhiann xx

Hi Harry, welcome on board! I think Anne said most of what I would say ( far better than me I might add!).

" Recovering from a SAH seems a rollercoster of emotions - immediately after it I was elated to be alive, next stage I was wondering if I would get completely better (a lot of anxiety), next stage was realising that I might not (grief) and then finally accepting the new me."

Sorry to pinch your words Anne but you put it far better than I would!

Give yourself time don't push it, stay positive and never give up. Get your family to read the posts here. Good luck Harry

Best wishes Maggie

Hi Harry & welcome. I hate to use a phrase that used to annoy me so much but you are 'very early in your recover'. I too felt it was such an uphill strugle in the early days, the exhaustion had me beat for sure & my emotions were all over tge place.Now I am jsut over 7months on & I am getting better. I can do far more without grinding to a complete halt & taking days to recover, the tiredness is still there but I listen to my body more now. I am also now getting support through Headway & finally my neuro psych mood management course. Don't be afraid to ask for help& just keep talking to everyone who can help you

Hi Harry

The good thing is youve found this site, which has been a godsend for me.

Im nearly 8 months after SAH and have been one of the lucky ones that isnt left with must deficit. The main thing ive found is to slow down and pace yourself as it really helps with the healing process. I made the mistake like a lot on here of doing to much to soon. Ive had the rollercoaster of emotions from elation at beginning to anger and depression at about 3 months. Now i seem to have quite a lot of anxiety and dizziness.

Its hard on family as if like me there is no scars we can look exactly like we did before but only we know how we feel inside still.

I feel its made me a different person as i see things more now as im slower. Im trying to use it positivley to make myself calmer than i was before and hopefully a better person.

It will get better for you it just takes time, but we cant say how long.

Traci S xxx

Hi Harry.

YES, it does get easier but it's different for everyone. Had my sah just 6 months ago and in the early days of recovery I thought I was going insane with terrible mood swings, intense fatigue and some particularly worrying anger issues. Luckily for me I have a very understanding wife. These problems have now passed and although I will never be 100% fit again, I am very close to it (99.5% maybe).

The trouble is that when you leave hospital you are not warned about the after effects of such a traumatic and life changing experiance so when you get all these different emotions going off you dont know how to deal with them and you end up thinking there is something wrong with you.

Harry, the timescale for recovery is different for everyone. Just dont push yourself to hard, take your time and remember it will get easier. There are plenty of sah survivors leading a perfectly full and normal life.

Good luck mate.

Hi Harry

I can only repeat what everyone previous, has posted.

I'm sure you'll find lots of information of great use to you on this site.

Also the best form of Therapy is free on here--Advocacy & Empathy.

You've hit the right site here

Take care

Edited by KeithH

Hi Harry

Im new to this too!!........... Im 27 and had my SAH in June last year so im nearly 8 months on now. It does get better, you go through so many emotions as do the people close to you aswell. It was only when i started to have councelling that i could look at things differently i do recommend it thats when i found my anxiety started to lift although i do still suffer from it now and again but i have learnt to try control it and i repeat TRY!!! At first i was so tired all the time i had to sleep twice a day but eventually that lifted although i tire very easily now im trying to adjust to the person i am now rather than the person i was then!!. ( i was always on the go!).

As the others have said it is different for everybody and you are very early on in your recovery so take it a day at a time! ( i should also try and listen to my own advice!!!lol!!)

Take care

Vicky xx

Hi Harry

Warm welcome to the site...

I'd say yes it gets easier as time passes by, at the moment your worlds turned upside down by whats happened to you.

A lot of people myself included found it very difficult but I have managed to make a better recovery than the health proffs thought.

Sometimes going to councelling can be a great help you not only speak to someone who knows what they're talkiing about but it help you understand yourself.maybe ask your GP about it.

Glad you found this site look forward to hearing more from you

take care.

Hi,

welcome to btg!!!!

i know exactly what you are going through, it takes time, my sah happend 8 months ago, i still get headaches, fatigue etc. but it does get better, at 8 months i would say i am at 85% physical and 65% mental (thinking, cognative) it is hard on the family wife and kids, they really don't understand, it is a great idea if they could read some the stories on this Great Website!!! just take it slow and let your body (brain) heal, your body will tell you when you are doing to much, take care and welcome chris

Welcome to BTG Harry! You've come to the right place. Everyone here is helpful and understanding and full of information! As the others have said, take it easy and listen to your body and brain! Our recoveries are all different and on-going, but we're all doing it together here :biggrin:

Hope to hear more from you soon. Take care,

Carolyn